Let's talk Metformin Side Effects...

Options
MsMelissaG
MsMelissaG Posts: 48 Member
Because honestly last week I started on this med and I thought I was going to die via diarrhea... sorry if that's graphic.

I stopped taking it because I guess I'm a wuss and I couldn't handle it... but honestly I couldn't handle it. The disruption to my life was too much... I was dizzy too and I had this horrible taste in my mouth.

I know this has been discussed before... and I'm not looking for weight loss stories...

But what was your experience with this medication... did you stick it out or stop like myself?

I would love to hear I'm not alone in this.

Replies

• atrjohnson
    atrjohnson Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I stuck to it for a month. I could never get to the recommended dosage because the diarrhea never stopped. I finally stopped talking it and now control my blood sugar through a lower carb/paleo diet. I rotate between the two. Like pale when I have carbs it is vegetables. I have been slipping into fake food lately via sugarless gum. It is my newest weakness.
  • irishgrim
    Options
    I hate this drug and will NEVER go on it. I went on it about 7 years ago for about a month. I had the same symptoms with being dizzy and digestive issues.

for me, it wasnt worth it. the pain was worse than trying to lose the weight.
  • MsMelissaG
    Options
    I wonder if people lose weight just basically because it makes you go all the time.
  • NClala05
    Options
    Ive tried it SEVERAL times in the past and have the same issues. Now I'm on Glumetza and am doing better on it. I still have to "go" right after I eat breakfast and maybe one more time before lunch, but that's it.
  • shannasaurus_rex
    shannasaurus_rex Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I experienced mild side effects the first time I tried metformin. I don't remember my specific dose, but it was the traditional form that you take multiple times a day. Currently, I am tolerating the "extended release" version without any problems. Around New Years, my doctor started me at just 500mg to take once daily, and she plans to order new labs in a few months to monitor the dosage.

I can't tell you any of my PCOS symptoms are improved. (Acne and irregular/absent periods are my worst problems - besides all the extra weight, which probably can't be 100% attributed to PCOS.) Honestly, I haven't noticed a difference in how I feel since re-starting metformin, but at least there haven't been any negative side effects.

Anyway, if you want/need to try metformin again, you might want to ask for the "extended release" version. It seems to be a lot more tolerable on the GI system. Good luck!
  • threeohtwo
    threeohtwo Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    How were you taking it? It makes the biggest difference. I used to take it with my food in the morning but I would have a really sugary cereal and my stomach killed. Now that I'm taking it and eating a high protein meal the side effects are nil. It's worth it for me. I'm not having any bathroom issues this time around.
  • JanaMichelle
    JanaMichelle Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Okay... so my doctor made me take MF gradually (adding a pill every couple of weeks or so) until I got to the recommended dosage first. By taking the regular kind, I dropped 20 pounds in only a few months. I honestly believe it was because it made me sick all the time. I then started to lose my hair which scared me. So when I talked to my doc about it, he switched me to the extended release (ER) form. I still get sick to my stomach when I have a lot of sugar, and I have to avoid non-zero sodas, but it is a lot better now.

I dont know if my symptoms have improved any but I have been able to maintain my same weight for 3 years now without having to work much on it (which is a huge blessing). Now I am actively trying to lose more weight, so we'll see how it goes.

My recommendation: stick with it for a little bit if you can stand it. Avoid sodas and watch what you eat more. And ask if you can switch to the ER version.

Hope this helps!
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Because honestly last week I started on this med and I thought I was going to die via diarrhea... sorry if that's graphic.

I stopped taking it because I guess I'm a wuss and I couldn't handle it... but honestly I couldn't handle it. The disruption to my life was too much... I was dizzy too and I had this horrible taste in my mouth.

I know this has been discussed before... and I'm not looking for weight loss stories...

But what was your experience with this medication... did you stick it out or stop like myself?

I would love to hear I'm not alone in this.

I stuck itout and it was worth it.
  • countesscharleyangel
    Options
    I'm on it not only for pcos but also for diabetes. I've found that if I take it right when I'm eating that it doesn't upset my stomach as much. Or if you forget, take it with some pretzels. Also, increase your fiber. I tried adding more fiber by taking metamucil and it actually does help with the diarrhea. Anyways, it like helps slow it down.
  • happierandstronger
    Options
    I stuck it out with the metformin. I had mild side effects at the start for a few weeks which my doctor warned me about and now I'm fine with it. I'm currently working towards losing 20 kilos in the hope that my insulin resistance is under control and my doctor hopefully is able to take me off that and the pill which was part of her original plan when I was diagnosed with PCOS.
  • thatsingergirl
    thatsingergirl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I took it for almost a year, and the only side effects I had were that my blood sugar would go too low to where I was hypoglycemic. I decided to go off it and try just a low carb diet and working out 6 days a week to see if I can lose weight and restore my periods without constantly bottoming out my blood sugar. (I was only on 500 mg per day for ovulation, not diabetes). I also never experienced any digestive side effects, but maybe that is because I take it at night with my dinner, which is almost always protein and low GI carbs.
  • JanaMichelle
    JanaMichelle Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    By the way: Metformin depletes your B-12 so go ahead an start taking those with it.
  • MsMelissaG
    Options
    I will see what my doctor says about the extended release tablet. I was taking only 250 mg... (cutting the 500 in half) and I still had those problems. I'm not sure it is for me.

I did have it with a full meal at breakfast and dinner and a few hours later all hell would be break lose. I limit my carbs already so it's not any junk food.

Maybe going natural is for me... has anyone tried any natural remedies?
  • rachel4304
    rachel4304 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I stuck it out. It's definitely worth it. I would agree with a small amount of weight loss being related to the side effects in the beginning but those *should* go away.

I noticed the side effect were worse on the standard Metformin. I asked to switch to the extended release and its better. Also, my doctor tapered my dosage up to minimize side effects.

I also noticed that if I miss my pills for a day, the side effects come back for a day or so.
  • melodymedlin
    melodymedlin Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Metformin is not for everyone. Keeping that in mind most side effects last around 3wks. As with any drug your body has to adjust to these changes. I take it for diabetes and PCOS and truly it has helped a lot. But saying this I have went off of the drug for a few months at a time due to "bathroom issues" everyone once in awhile I will switch for about 3months to actos or glyburide and it seems to help. I agree with the others ER is the way to go; it really truly cuts down on the adverse effects. I wish you tons of luck and my best advice is to ask your doctor his/her opinon as no one but you and your doctor know your history. :smile:
    good luck and God bless~
  • kkallas1
    kkallas1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This is my third day on Metformin.. So far so good. everybody has discussed the bathroom issues... but I no longer have my gallbladder .. wonder if that will make a difference.?

also I've seen people discuss weight loss but did the medication help with facial hair?