Wanting to run at least a half

Options
Hi,

I just joined this group a few minutes ago. I am have been running 3 miles a day to prepare for a 1.5 mile timed run. I am wanting to run a half marathon or more this year. I was hoping that someone on here might have some pointers or a good training program to use. Any advice is great. Thanks.

Replies

• camrunner
    Options
    Welcome to the group! Good to see someone else from the AF who runs more than 1.5 miles. :P

I don't have really have a training program to recommend, since I've never used one myself, but I can tell you what I did. You're about where I was last June. I was recovering from knee surgery and a year of being "broken."

I ramped up the mileage paying more attention to how my body was reacting to the running than to the actual number of miles. By October I was doing my first 13+ mile runs. I never really worked on speed, either, but I still ran my PT test in 9:00.

Anyway, if I could do it all over again, I'd probably do a little less running and a little more strength training to stay balanced. I guess running 6 days a week for a month isn't worth running 0 days a week for the following month because your IT band(s) decided to flare up...
  • LisaO85
    LisaO85 Posts: 152
    Options
    I use Hal Higdon's plans. Just google him. He has something for all different levels. The best thing you can do is sign up for a race so your motivation stays high. Stick to the plan and you will do just fine.
  • SheenaDuguid
    SheenaDuguid Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first half marathon in May - I've found training plans on the BUPA website. Good Luck x
  • linddavis
    Options
    I used Jeff Galloways Half program, he does the Run Disney races. Its pretty much short runs Tues., Thurs, and a long run on the weekends... with a mileage buildup. His big thing is running injury free... training runs should be slow, you should be able to talk.
    The Disney races are good for your first Half by the way because they are "low pressure". Lots of stops for photo opps and lots of first timers and cheer squads. The only mistake I made was training on bike paths ( crushed limestone) then racing on road.
    My feet and ankles were so sore!! But I only walked for about 5 or 6 minutes the whole race, If I can do it, anyone can :)
  • skiddymo
    Options
    Cam, I know what you mean. Most AF members only want to run the 1.5 because it is all they are tested on. A 9 minute mile is awesome!!! I managed a 10:42 last year which is great for me. I was a 12:30+ runner. I used to hate running. Not so much now. I really enjoy it.

Sheena, Lisa and Linda, Thanks for the info. I will check it out.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I used the Hal Higdon plan for my first half last month. For my next half I am doing it differently, and will add weeks between the 10 mile long run and the half itself - I plan to do 10, 11, 12, 13.1, then taper for two weeks before my next race.
  • what923
    what923 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I would agree with a lot of what Cam said. My biggest lesson I try to pass on so others don't have to suffer like I did...you must do strength training with the running! Even if it's just certain exercises to work on the main muscles used during running. I only ran when I started and my first half was kind of miserable. Then after another episode with sciatia pain I wanted to strengthen my core to protect my back. Weight training really accelerated my weight loss and my running got better. Last October I completed my first full marathon and had less pain/recovery than I did from my first half.

I've used the free version of SmartCoach at Runners World. You can also get great suggestions for strength training in the RW videos. So a 'rest' day on a training schedule is not a break- it's a day to do an activity other than running. I've now set to run 4 days a week, strength train 2 days and take one true 'rest' day for recovery (usually after my long run day).