Any moms to be nrusing a toddler?

Options
Rubyayn
Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
I am just five weeks pregnant today and still nursing my daughter. So far I have not experienced any discomfort other than slight nausea while she is nursing. Luckily she only nurses to sleep now. I am not really interested in weaning her as it is only once per day and it is far too effective at putting her to bed to give it up. We are talking a five minute bedtime!!! No way am I losing that gem, lol.

I just thought I would post this and see if there are any other ladies here in the same boat that may be further along or that could offer some info on how it has all worked out for you. I do realize my milk will likely dry up sometime in the second trimester, but I am not sure yet if that means she will wean. I also have had no discomfort and am hoping it doesn't start soon!

Edited to add: I cannot believe I spelled nursing wrong! I will blame that on mommy brain. Of course, it will not let me fix it either. haha

Replies

• miami_mimi
    miami_mimi Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    One of my friends is pregnant (she is due in June) and was nursing her daughter who is now 10 months. She told me that her OBGYN advised her to stop at the beginning of her second trimester which she has done. She told me that her daughter didn't have a hard time transitioning from mother's milk to formula.

Personally, my oldest son is 6 and I am 33 weeks pregnant, so I have no personal experience on the subject. But I would think that just like any other aspect of breastfeeding, it's really up to you. As far as you're getting a balanced diet so you, the new baby and your toddler are getting the appropriate nutritional values. Do you plan to continue to breastfeed once baby is here if your milk doesn't dry up?

edit-- I meant breastfeed your older child and newborn :)
  • Rubyayn
    Options
    One of my friends is pregnant (she is due in June) and was nursing her daughter who is now 10 months. She told me that her OBGYN advised her to stop at the beginning of her second trimester which she has done. She told me that her daughter didn't have a hard time transitioning from mother's milk to formula.

Personally, my oldest son is 6 and I am 33 weeks pregnant, so I have no personal experience on the subject. But I would think that just like any other aspect of breastfeeding, it's really up to you. As far as you're getting a balanced diet so you, the new baby and your toddler are getting the appropriate nutritional values. Do you plan to continue to breastfeed once baby is here if your milk doesn't dry up?

I have done a exhaustive research (research is my thing, lol) and know that it is safe to nurse throughout your pregnancy, but not always so comfortable. I am anticipating that my milk will dry up in the second trimester, so I am curious to see if she will wean there or continue to "comfort" nurse just to go to sleep at night.

To be honest I am not sure how I want it all to play out. I suppose I plan on taking her lead and seeing how I feel as things progress with the pregnancy, especially since force weaning would likely be traumatic for her and it is only once per day for a couple of minutes. My original nursing goal was 2 years, to meet the WHO reccomendations, but if someone would have told me I would be nursing beyond that I would have laughed in thier face!!!

As far as nursing two, I am just hoping she will wean before then. That just sounds like a lot of work and I really do see her weaning before the baby comes. She understands that the new baby will have mommy milk and all of that and I just do not see her continuing. I may have to have an ongoing conversation with her to gently lead her towards weaning on her own. :) I had a HUGE over supply with her when she was a baby and I pumped a lot when I came back to work, so if she really wants mommy milk I can always put it in a cup for her at that point. I can appreciate her getting those nutrients beyond toddlerhood, but would prefer not to put my body through tandem nursing.
  • miami_mimi
    miami_mimi Posts: 358 Member
    Options

I have done a exhaustive research (research is my thing, lol) and know that it is safe to nurse throughout your pregnancy, but not always so comfortable. I am anticipating that my milk will dry up in the second trimester, so I am curious to see if she will wean there or continue to "comfort" nurse just to go to sleep at night.

To be honest I am not sure how I want it all to play out. I suppose I plan on taking her lead and seeing how I feel as things progress with the pregnancy, especially since force weaning would likely be traumatic for her and it is only once per day for a couple of minutes. My original nursing goal was 2 years, to meet the WHO reccomendations, but if someone would have told me I would be nursing beyond that I would have laughed in thier face!!!

As far as nursing two, I am just hoping she will wean before then. That just sounds like a lot of work and I really do see her weaning before the baby comes. She understands that the new baby will have mommy milk and all of that and I just do not see her continuing. I may have to have an ongoing conversation with her to gently lead her towards weaning on her own. :) I had a HUGE over supply with her when she was a baby and I pumped a lot when I came back to work, so if she really wants mommy milk I can always put it in a cup for her at that point. I can appreciate her getting those nutrients beyond toddlerhood, but would prefer not to put my body through tandem nursing.

Sorry I cant be anymore help :( I nursed my oldest son to about 2 weeks before he turn one. I too produced a lot of milk and pumping was not an issue once I went back to work. He did well with cow milk, it was costly since he was on organic milk. Now he drinks almond milk. His pediatrician really pushed for the one year mark, and I hope to do the same with the new baby :)

you're amazing that you're still doing it even if it's just at nighttime, luckily my son still falls asleep as fast as he did when he was nursed. he hits the pillow and he's out.
  • Rubyayn
    Options
    [/quote]
    Sorry I cant be anymore help :( I nursed my oldest son to about 2 weeks before he turn one. I too produced a lot of milk and pumping was not an issue once I went back to work. He did well with cow milk, it was costly since he was on organic milk. Now he drinks almond milk. His pediatrician really pushed for the one year mark, and I hope to do the same with the new baby :)

you're amazing that you're still doing it even if it's just at nighttime, luckily my son still falls asleep as fast as he did when he was nursed. he hits the pillow and he's out.
    [/quote]

Thank you for the support and the kudos. Cheers to you for nursing your son for so long, too. It can be hard, but is so worth it! My daughter also drinks almond milk and coconut milk, she loves them!!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I am really impressed that you're still nursing! I had such a hard time with it that I ended up giving up after 3 months (long story). Hopefully the stars will align (meaning I won't have any physiological issues and this baby will latch fine), and since I learned from my mistakes, I'll hopefully do a lot better this time. My son did fine on formula, but DANG that stuff is expensive!

So... obviously I have no personal experience on the topic, and I'm not a doctor/nurse/medical professional by any stretch of the imagination, but I would double-check with your doctor/midwife about it. I only say that because I know that well down the road (well into the 3rd trimester), nipple stimulation can cause uterine contractions and potentially labor (or early labor).*

Presumably since you're only nursing once a day for a few minutes, and since you'll have been doing it the whole time, your body won't freak out when you nurse just because it happens to be towards the end of your pregnancy. However, it's worth looking into to be sure!

*I only know this because I once read somewhere about nipple stimulation being a way to help labor get started (along with sex, spicy food, etc.). I remember thinking, "What? Do people actually sit at home and play with their boobs to get labor going?" I guess so!
  • Rubyayn
    Options
    I am really impressed that you're still nursing! I had such a hard time with it that I ended up giving up after 3 months (long story). Hopefully the stars will align (meaning I won't have any physiological issues and this baby will latch fine), and since I learned from my mistakes, I'll hopefully do a lot better this time. My son did fine on formula, but DANG that stuff is expensive!

So... obviously I have no personal experience on the topic, and I'm not a doctor/nurse/medical professional by any stretch of the imagination, but I would double-check with your doctor/midwife about it. I only say that because I know that well down the road (well into the 3rd trimester), nipple stimulation can cause uterine contractions and potentially labor (or early labor).*

Presumably since you're only nursing once a day for a few minutes, and since you'll have been doing it the whole time, your body won't freak out when you nurse just because it happens to be towards the end of your pregnancy. However, it's worth looking into to be sure!

*I only know this because I once read somewhere about nipple stimulation being a way to help labor get started (along with sex, spicy food, etc.). I remember thinking, "What? Do people actually sit at home and play with their boobs to get labor going?" I guess so!

Thanks!!! We had a really rough start, so I am sometimes even surprised that we are still going. The little stinker did not latch on for 8 weeks, it was horrible. I think my main motivator was the money, too. I am just so thrifty, lol.

I have not notified my doc, but I did speak with her about it at my pre-conception appointment and she has no issues with it for the duration of a pregnancy, though a LOT of practitioners are more cautious. Breastfeeding can cause uterine contractions, but they are no stronger than the contractions caused by sex. The only instance that breastfeeding would be dangerous to the fetus is if you are high risk for some reason and are on pelvic rest for pre-term labor. Fingers crossed I do not run into any of those problems. You are right though, they likely wouldn't apply to me since she only nurses once per day for a minute or two. Though, I have noticed very mild cramping when the milk flows, but I have read this is also normal at this point.

Thank you for replying and I hope your experience this time is smoother!! If you get a chance, check out a La Leche League meeting in your area before the baby comes. It really does help and they are usually a very good support system!