What are you giving up for Lent? Any Ideas?

Options
33 things to give up for Lent

Posted on March 8, 2011 by Jon Swanson

(New for Lent 2013: Lent for Non-Lent People. 33 Things to Give up for Lent and Other Readings (Kindle).)

Tomorrow is Ash Wednesday. It’s the first day of Lent. Lent is about willingly learning about sacrifice. Lent is about choosing to give up what rightfully belongs to us.

Here are some possibilities of things to give up for Lent.
1.First place in line.
2.The last piece of pie.
3.Second thoughts about commitments.
4.“Just five minutes more” (when they keep you from family).
5.The last word.
6.A fifth. Of something.
7.A quarter-pounder.
8.Forty cents a day. (It adds up to $12 a month and over a year and with 100 other people, gives a village in Africa water.)
9.1400 characters (or a day without tweeting).
10.Three scowls.
11.A second helping.
12.The last place in line, which demonstrates just how humble we actually are.
13.Dave’s Top Ten list (or whatever kept you from turning off the TV and going to bed last night.
14.Six simultaneous projects.
15.10 minutes of frantic activity.
16.The Final Four [pool] that consumes your attention for a month.
17.One argument.
18.A fourth pair of shoes.
19.Eating alone.
20.12 disciples (Jesus did it. At the end. Course, they left him. So never mind).
21.8 minutes on the snooze.
22.A second glance.
23.The first 15 parking places closest to the door.
24.A five minute well-justified rant about the way that person completely mistreated you when they cut you off as you were driving…
25.One minute of worry each hour.
26.30 minutes that could have been filled with, “Wait, what did I do with that 30 minutes?”
27.44 cents for a stamp on an envelope with a piece of paper that says, “I love you.”
28.60 minutes a week to converse with someone about God. (or read 300 words).
29.Friday. (or any one day that you spending willingly on the well-being of someone else.)
30.Credit. (for number 29)
31.An extra coat.
32.$10,000. (Maybe you could.)
33.My will (let’s go with Your will instead).

300wordsaday.com

Replies

• Lil14U
    Lil14U Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Wow, they were some way out ideas, I think I will stick to a donation to the catholic mission and let them decide where the greatest needs are. I will God willing participate in the “Believe Lenten Program 2013”.
  • MTGirl4Life
    MTGirl4Life Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this. Many people do not think about some of the little things that we can give up during Lent. Maybe doing some of these little things during this holy time of year will become a habit and we will joyfully continue them through the year! St. Therese the Little Flower offered up (gave up) the little things. What a special young lady and Saint of the church.
  • RockstarPunch
    RockstarPunch Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Yes St. Therese always reminds me to love Christ more and more, and when I think I have loved enough----to KEEP loving :flowerforyou:
  • paulkempjr
    paulkempjr Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    In the past I have usually added something such as daily Mass or Liturgy of the hours, or Adoration, so sacrificing my "time" , this year I think I am going to spend more time in scripture and also I am giving up raising my voice and cuss-words... Hopefully they stay gone!
  • hansea47
    hansea47 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I'm scheduling daily prayer. Giving up the snooze on my alarm clock, getting up to study the catechism or bible and using a Lenten reflection booklet given out at our parish....hopefully centering myself before the busy day begins. Hope to make it a habit. Have tried this in the past, and fallen away from the habit as the year progresses.

My family is taking part in the toothbrush/toothpaste drive at our parish. Together we're donating a suitcase full of the dental supplies to a local mission group that will deliver them to children in Haiti in April. Hoping to find other ways to give of our treasure throughout Lent and afterwards.

Also, giving up late night tv...so I can get to bed at a decent hour....so I can get up for my daily morning prayer time!

I love the list of all the "little" things to give up for Lent...so reminds me of St Therese as well.
  • RockstarPunch
    Options
    totally forgot about the CCC, thanks for reminding me and for sharing
  • chicaacappella
    chicaacappella Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! My name's Lauren, and I'm new here :) Aside from using Lent to try to establish a healthy eating/exercising schedule in trying to honor my body as a temple for the Holy Spirit, I'm planning to give up Facebook & Netflix and use the time I'd normally waste on such sites in prayer and Scripture!
  • Jaccyber
    Jaccyber Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Name's Jeff, and had a great Ash Wednesday today. Went to mass at 7:00 pm. What a great way to finish the day. Prayed the rosary (in Latin) on my walk into work this morning. So awesome. Thanks for setting this group up. God Bless You.
  • TracyGF
    Options
    what a great group! I am working on "doing" more than giving up this year--more reading about my faith and spirituality, more reflection time, less jumping to anger and negative thoughts. Love the ideas already here. Have been on MFP for almost a year now but just trying the groups--good to have a Lenten aspect to my daily log-ins.
    Peace on the Lenten Journey!
  • Jaccyber
    Jaccyber Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Daily spiritual fitness-- Today I prayed the sorrowful mysteries both in Latin and then this evening in English. Also prayed 1 divine Mercy Chaplet. And prayed the stations of the cross. 'Twas a wonderful day. Peace Friends and God Bless.
  • RockstarPunch
    Options
    It is aTRUE blessing to see all of you here :smile: Thankyou for sharing and blessings:flowerforyou: May this Lenten journey refocus our spirits and deepen our relationship with Christ and unite us with the Immaculate heart of Mary. May we never be or feel far away from the Love that is always present through the Holy Spirit:flowerforyou:
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    preparing.

I hope you all are too!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=XQhdXUuFbDE#t=1684s it starts mid way, but it is good to start here.

Agenda is a documentary you should watch too.

God bless you all! The Church has fallen back. The orthodox and the other catholic faiths have pulled out of America. See the signs.
  • danielmarek
    danielmarek Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What a Great idea to start this group for this very special season of the church. My thought this lent is not giving up something but "doing something" productive. I want to be a better listener to others. This includes our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. I am amazed at what I hear, if I but listen! Have an Awesome Spirit Filled Lent!:smile: