Newborn boy diaper leak issue

Options
VelociMama
VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
My son was born last Monday, and we've been having issues with his diapers leaking. He is quite small (long 7lb baby), and we are using Pampers Swaddlers Newborn size diapers. He's soaked 3 onesies today and two of mom's shirts already, and I am not sure what to do.

We have the diapers on snug and have the front flap folded inward. We make sure the back is up high also.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Replies

• Mewlingstork
    Mewlingstork Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I agree with the comments on possibly trying a different size and/or brand. Pampers swaddlers are the only thing for our decently chubby guy, Huggies are the absolute worst, particularly on poopsplosions. All about finding what works for the shape of YOUR baby. I think you're on the right track with folding inwards, having it snug. Sometimes, Devon will leak when he lays in different positions, almost like he lays in a way that wrinkles things funny and allow it to leak.

Good luck, you're doing so well!
  • daoc1972
    daoc1972 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Try another brand. I lucked out and found the cheaper store brands (Sam's Club, then Costco) worked better than the name brands. I tried Pampers & Huggies. I didn't like the fragrance added to Pampers and Huggies leaked more than 50% of the time. We just skipped all the name brands for baby #2.

Edit: I think that the texture of the lining of the name brand diapers had high surface tension and does not let the urine pass through to the absorbent core. I never did test my theory, but I always wondered how the diapers would leak in different places.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I feel like a moron. I didn't realize that his penis was pointing up and to the side, so I'll try to make sure it's pointing down from here on out and see if that fixes it. If not, I'll try Huggies or something else.

Learning the hard way! :)
  • Nianthis
    Nianthis Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Don't be too hard on yourself. I had the same problem with one of my twin boys (who are now 13 months). He would leak & soil all of his clothes- but the diaper would be almost dry! I have a 7 year old son & didn't think about that either!

Now, we use cloth diapers (which is awesome), but we used huggies & pampers with good success. I found that Luvs leaked a lot with my 7 year old,but the diapers may be better now.

Best of luck to you!

:smile:
  • GinE73
    GinE73 Posts: 68
    Options
    I had the same problem with my son when he was born and then every time he has a growth spurt. We did the normal things- making sure his penis was pointed down and double-checking the elastic liner was pulled out after we put on each diaper but he did still leak. The only thing that helped was going up a size on the diapers even though he was well within the weight range for the current ones. I switch back and forth between Huggies & Pampers all the time with no real preference for brands- I just buy whatever is on sale or the one I have a coupon for. :)

Good luck and congrats on the little one!