Hand care

Options
cbarn025
cbarn025 Posts: 939 Member
What do you guys do for your hands? No one at my box or on any xfit video I've ever seen trains with gloves on....But my hands start to hurt so bad with high volume pull up, toes 2 bar type movements. I've never ripped but I have hard callisuses(sp). I've seen some people using athletic tape on their hands I haven't tried that yet. So far all I ever use is chalk...Anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• Jindra12
    Jindra12 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I have same problem. I don't know a way to solve it, other than to tighten your hands really hard on the bar. I am thinking to add towel on the bar and it might solve it, I don't know.

I tried gloves, and some sort of glove for that pull ups task didn't helped at all. I don't think tapes would help.
  • BrendarB
    BrendarB Posts: 2,770 Member
    Options
    make sure you keep your callisus (sp) cut down to prevent tearing - either cut or file down all of them - it helps with the hand pain a little. Also - use minimal chalk - chalk causes friction and will increase tear action and hand pain - only use a light dusting just to help maintain a grip.
    you can go the athletic tape route, but I find if I keep my caluses cut down, that my hands hurt less in general and I don't need the athletic tape
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    No-one I know uses gloves but some use tape and all use chalk. You need to maintain them, keep them filed but don't remove them because the calluses protect your hands at the end of the day.
  • PicklePlum
    PicklePlum Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I use gloves and so do a handful of people at my box (ahah) :bigsmile:
  • kelr0110
    kelr0110 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I ripped my hands open - a lot of people use gloves and my boyfriend had a spare pair that fit me nicely so i wasn't going to turn down free protection :)
  • Jindra12
    Jindra12 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Sometime it is really suck that I couldn't do more of pull ups because my hands are killing me really bad.
  • littlehokie
    Options
    I tried gloves and coudln't grip with them. apparently no gloves is better. callouses are good, they make your hands tough. If you have a tear, then tape your hands.