Finding Time

Options
bluskies01
bluskies01 Posts: 72 Member
How do you find time to work out? I have a YMCA membership but I just can't find the time/motivation to go. I get home from work around 4, then by the time we do homework, dinner, bath, play time for him, our afternoon is over (he goes to bed at 8). I obviously can't leave to go work out while he's asleep. I was thinking about trying some youtube videos, but I live on a 2nd floor apt. and my neighbor is already a pain in the butt about my son making noise. SIGH. I'm also finding it really tough to come up with dinner ideas that are healthy enough for me and satisfying enough for him. Most of the time it's easier to just make two seperate meals, but I don't want him to think it's okay to always expect a meal catered to his wants.

Replies

• SWilcox818
    SWilcox818 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You don't say how old your son is, but since he's doing homework I'm guessing over 5. Could some of your play time be "exercise" time as well? Dancing, running around, jumping, ... maybe go for a walk? If he doesn't want to participate, maybe while he plays on his own you could be doing something? If you're on a 2nd floor apt maybe you could be going up and down the stairs (walking and/or running) while your son plays? Sometimes you gotta get super creative.

As far as food there are some nights where I do make separate things for me and my daughter, but other times I either plan so that I have enough calories to have the same thing as her or like last night she made do with what I was having. I made sure to include her favorite veggie so that she wasn't "bored" with the other stuff (chicken and rice). Always a good idea to teach the kiddos healthy eating too (as much as possible anyway).

Any chance you could go to the YMCA right from work? Is there someone who could watch your son for just a little while longer? That's what I do currently. My daughter stays at the sitters for a little big longer while I work out (I'm fortunate, we have a gym where I work so I don't have to go far to work out) then I pick her up and we head home for dinner. Our evenings are pretty tight timewise, but so far it seems to be working out for us. Of course, I don't yet have homework to contend with...

Or, could you get up early and do some working out? Low impact, of course so your neighbor doesn't complain.

Anyway, hope some of these suggestions can help you. Feel free to send a friend request if you'd like the additional support. :-)
  • MelodyinGa
    MelodyinGa Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to go right after work. I don't get home til 6, but I try to go at least 3 nights a week. My 7 yo is in tow with me. She usually plans with the balls and mats, plays nintendo, color, or whines the whole time. Her bedtime is 9. You may need to extend your child's bedtime a bit so you can get your workout in. And girl... I usually do the 2 meal thing. It's easier. Don't worry about the catering situation, as single parents, we have to do what we have to do.
  • veggiehottie
    veggiehottie Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Definitely understand the time constraint thing. I get home at 6:30 and kiddo's bedtime is 8:30... Talk about a whirlwind!

As for exercise, it seems you could try and cut something else out of your schedule.... Make meals on the weekend? Have your child do homework before you pick him/her up? Make playtime exercise time? If none of that works for you, maybe just extend bed time a little bit?

Does child have a bike or a scooter? Extend that bedtime by 1/2 an hour, and go out right when you guys get home. Or go to the pool at the Y. Or put your child in day care at the Y ( whatever is easier for you).

Dinners at my house are never " catered". That is WAY too much work for me. lol. If he does not like what is being served, he does not eat... ( that being said, since it is only the two of us, he gets to help plan most meals anyways, so there is always something he likes).
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    If you can cut something out of the evening routine, then you can take him to the Y with you. I get off work at 6 and put my son to bed at 8:30. Once we get off work, my entire night is focused on him. sometimes I get off work a little early for an aerobics class. He sits in the corner and plays video games. I reward him for being good with a few minutes of racquetball (not REAL racquetball, but he's only 1st grade, doesn't know that yet). Maybe he can do homework while you exercise?

Also, with the meals, it's really hard to watch him skip a meal... but one thing I do is make whatever I'm eating and if he doesn't want it he goes to bed hungry. The most he's gone is two nights in a row before he's broken down and eaten whatever I made (though I know he doesn’t like it). At least twice a week I'll add in something I know he likes (ex: mac n cheese) but I have a rule that he has to finish the whole plate before he can get more food ("if you're not hungry enough to finish the broccoli, then you don't have enough room for more mac 'n' cheese). it really helps.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    You don't find time, you make time. You can wait for some free time because it won't ever be there.
  • JanieJack
    Options
    You don't find time, you make time.

Love this!!
  • kendrafox
    kendrafox Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posts. I leave work everyday and head straight for the gym, but I make sure his homework is done before we leave my office. My son goes to the "kid zone" while I work out. We go at least 4 times a week (although I aim for 6). If the Y offers a daycare center, it might be worth checking out. We don't normally get home until after 6 and then his bed time is at 8:30.

When it comes to dinner, he helps me pick out what we are having so that when I put a healthy spin, he can not complain because he chose its components. If he really does not like what I made, then he knows where the sandwich stuff is and he can fend for himself, but he has to at least try what I make first.
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    I usually pick up the kids and go straight to the gym. We spend 1-2 hours there and then head home. The kids love going and will get on me if we don't go.

Most times their homework is done by the time I pick them up, but if there is anything left, they do it while I make dinner.

For dinners, I don't cater, but I do give options. For example, if they don't like the vegetables that I've made with the dinner, they can choose to have raw baby carrots or a salad instead. The main dish is always something they will eat. I have foods I don't like, why can't they? For the nights I'm craving salmon, I'll make them more of the kid friendly dishes (chicken nuggets, mac & cheese, etc). I very rarely serve traditional desserts, but will often give them fruit or yogurt if they'd like something more after dinner.

I've just learned that the meals take a little creativity and planning. But, that's kind of the fun of it. :)
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I am so lucky now that my DD is a teen, I get up at 5am and go to the gym, am home by 6:30, then we get ready for work and school and it doesn't interfere with her at all. But I couldn't always do that!

I agree with the post above, you have to MAKE time, schedule it in and do it. Doesn't have to be every day, weekends and 2 days a week is a good start. If the weather is good, both of you go for a walk, kick a ball in the park, call it fun.

I know it's not easy, you have to make it work. Good luck!!
  • GottaGetSlimAndSexy
    Options
    Hello,

I kind of feel into the same thing myself. I always thought I couldn’t work out because of my child. I made excuses. I even blamed my child at times (shameful). I would eat my child’s food he didn’t want, not go to the gym, and the list continued. It wasn’t until I ballooned into fitting into a tight 16, I Had to change!!! I COULDN’T CONTINUE TO MAKE EXCUSES. I found a local YMCA that had daycare, my son and I both attend classes. There are NO EXCUSES anymore. I’ve been at this weight loss thing for months; the biggest change came when I adapted my journey into a lifestyle. I found supportive people to help push me along the way and I’ve been losing weight ever since. Don’t get me wrong, I feel off here and there BUT I never stopped. Come on girl… YOU GOT THIS!!! Don’t make the excuses and PLAN time for yourself/health.
  • tracy_getsfit
    tracy_getsfit Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I am a single mom with a 1.5 year old and 4.5 year old. I take to the YMCA with me and they go into the childcare. I get off work at 4:30 change and get them. Then we go straight to the YMCA...and we play together for a while before they go into the nursery then I do an hour workout. We go home and have a dinner that I already made the Sunday before and just needs to be warmed up. It helps save on time. Then we read, do what chores we have and then bath and bed time. They see me being healthy now and they ask to go on walks or if I am doing a yoga video at home my oldest does it with me.

I kept telling myself I do not have the time...but I figure every pound off...is another day I get with them...bec if I do not make the time to get healthier I am not going to be around for them later in life.
  • FJDodd
    FJDodd Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    When I decided to start adding gym time into my schedule, I mapped out my whole day and found that the time was there, just not where I needed it to be. A little here and a little there. So I am starting my day an hour earlier now, Instead of getting to the office at 9am, I get in at 8am. I also started eating my lunches at my desk instead of going out or taking my lunch to the break rooms. Starting earlier and working thru my lunch means I can now leave between 3:30-4pm everyday instead of 5-5:30pm. Since my son has to be picked up by 5:30pm I workout from 3:30-5pm. I also moved his bedtime (he is 5) to 9pm. On Sundays, I take my son to the park, he plays while I walk around the perimeter of the park.
    Take a look at your daily schedule. You may not find a full 1-2 hours free, but I bet you can find 15-20 minute chunks of time that you could possibly try to rework. And if not, walk for 5-10 minutes whenever you can.
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    The last few months I haven't really found the time. I can't remember the last time I worked out! I leave the house by 7:30, get 3 kids to two different schools and am in the office by 9am and don't get home til after 7pm. Then I want to spend time with my kids before they go to bed. After they are in bed, I usually eat dinner, get things ready for the next day and then to bed. My BF is there and helps out as much as he can, but he is usually out the door by 6am and gets home the same time as me. I am hoping my work schedule lets up soon so I can squeeze in workouts, but in the meantime I just have to adjust my diet to make up for it.
  • JanieJack
    Options
    How is everyone doing on this? I've done Insanity almsost every day for 5 weeks, then life happened in this week was a mess
  • kernjamie
    Options
    I am a single mom of 3, and I also am trying to take classes online. I am home all the time and I still can't seem to find time to workout. I used to try to wake up early but then someone would always wake up too. I gave up on that idea...was thinking of trying it again. Some days it seems like the effort to put in to finding the time to workout takes more energy than the workout. I have found that its just better to workout with the kids. If you have small children...sometimes you can find time during nap time...or after they go to bed. Another thing I have found helpful is to skip the gym. I was paying so much money for gym membership...not to mention the gym get crowded during the times the child care was available. I wasn't even getting the results I wanted by going the gym. I took that gym membership money and invested in some good workout ...weights...etc. I lost 30 pounds last year and I have been able to keep it off. You just have to sneak in the time where ever you can. It is hard!!! I am not even working right now and its hard for me...so I can imagine how hard it is for mothers who are working full time. Another thing that keeps me going is finding an online group for support. We are definitely handling a lot as single parents...having a support system is a must.
  • codgrl
    codgrl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My kiddo is 16 months old. I have to work out in the early morning before work. So basically, we get up at 5AM, out the door by 6AM to Day Care, I work out from 6:30A-7:30A and shower at the gym, then head to work by 8A. You might try out some of Leslie Sansone's Walking Dvd's, I love them. I have about 4 of them at home and they are easy! After your kiddo goes to sleep, put one in and off you go, easy as pie! :)
  • DesdemonaRose
    Options
    I do shorter workouts at home. I am also able to work out during lunchc at work and I get some possible workout time Tues/Thurs afternoon. I have to wake up at 4:30 AM just to get to work on time (drop off kid, put on uniform, etc.. military) so sometimes fatigue is a issue for me. A short little 15 min Yoga session will usually help wake me up which is a bonus. Watching my calories is a huge key though!

I am sort of "in between" the to cater or not parenting choice. I only make one thing. I have my kid eat some of it as long as it's not horrifying to him (I don't eat stuff I hate and don't feel like I should make him do so either) and then he can make his own dinner beyond that. I only have healthy foods so I know his own dinner isn't a bunch of crap. He's only 5, so it makes him self sufficent at least. I pack his lunches so I know what he's eating on a daily basis. So far it's worked out well. I'm not throwing away uneaten food, there are no battles, and he's still healthy. All of my meals are really simple as well, I am not slaving in the kitchen for 2 hours. Baked fish with a few spices topped on, microwaved vegi bags, sauteed whatever (precut and frozen but without added sauce), and sometimes a bagged meal. It helps that I can afford to buy the "no weird stuff added" versions of that stuff vs. Chip n Dale's bag of Chemicals. We eat out almost once a week as well. I've found local places where I can pick up (we dont' eat in very often, I can eat and study or whatever at home easier) and not consume a ton of calories.
  • Rachel_Virginia_
    Rachel_Virginia_ Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    How do you find time to work out? I have a YMCA membership but I just can't find the time/motivation to go. I get home from work around 4, then by the time we do homework, dinner, bath, play time for him, our afternoon is over (he goes to bed at 8). I obviously can't leave to go work out while he's asleep. I was thinking about trying some youtube videos, but I live on a 2nd floor apt. and my neighbor is already a pain in the butt about my son making noise. SIGH. I'm also finding it really tough to come up with dinner ideas that are healthy enough for me and satisfying enough for him. Most of the time it's easier to just make two seperate meals, but I don't want him to think it's okay to always expect a meal catered to his wants.

im on the third floor. i feel bad for my downstairs neighbor. they havnt complained yet though! I have no advice. I know once i get home off a 12 hour shift get my son and get home im just DONE. ready to crawl in bed!
  • dispatcher939
    dispatcher939 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I make my gym time an appointment on my calendar, this way I don't miss it. You can make your workout kid friendly! My son and I do trail walks/runs, ride bikes, dance, play basketball etc. There are days when I can only squeeze in 10 minutes of a workout but anything is better than nothing.
  • jakenjosefsmom
    jakenjosefsmom Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have 7 and 3 year old boys. I, too made the time excuse for a LONG time - also the "I need to spend time with the kids" excuse. I've found that when I make time to work out...the time I have with them is much more quality because I feel better emotionally and physically. There are some workout videos that don't require jumping that you're kids might love. My 3 year old BEGS me to do hip hop abs. He thinks it's a game. My 7 year old loves running with me....we "race" and push the youngest in the jogging stroller. I feel like I'm teaching them healthy habits while I'm taking care of myself too!
    For dinner....one word....CROCKPOT! My kids love chicken, salsa, low sodium taco seasoning and a can of low fat cream of mushroom soup that's cooked all day. We put it over rice or pasta for them and I just eat it straight to keep my carbs down. The web is FULL of kid friendly, healthy crockpot recipes that are ready when you get home. :) You got this! As we say down here in the bayou....GEAUX Single Parents. :!