weight lifting with RA and fibro,anyone?

Options
hi I have rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia ,chronic fatigue syndrome,and cervical and thoracic myositis.

Ive lost 30 pounds, but on mfp 19 and only have between 10 or 20 pounds more to go! woo hoo !

I want try do weights (also Im pre osteoporosis so weights would help with this) . and found a program,
I want to do< Venus Index ( of course at my pace and capabilities) but I was wondering if anyone is already doing weights with some or these conditions and is having success???

The only exercise I can tolerate is walking on treadmill for like 15 min ( no swimming,or anything jumping, no dancing,even stretching hurts and leaves me sore for days)

Replies

• arnfolly
    arnfolly Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Saw your post. I only have osteoarthritis, well, it is in pretty much all my joints and i have had 5 surgeries to help correct issues. For me (with approval from my surgeon) the key is lifting low weight, keeping control of the muscles as I go through the exercise, focusing on flexing the muscle and keeping control. Too much weight or too fast, I end up with bursitis that is EXCRUCIATING! For my arms, I stick with 3#, 5#, and 8#. Now, keep in mind, PRE arthritis I was an 8#, 20# & 25# for upper body, so this is a huge difference for me! Legs, I keep it light and simple too, I use to press legs @ 195# now, only about 25# (well not now I am recuperating from hip surgery currently). Although I am not the muscle bound woman I use to be, it keeps the joints lubricated and keeps my muscles from atrophying. ;) Better than nothing right? I like combining the weights and aerobics (hiking, swimming etc) because it helps me to burn calories and keeps me strong.
    hope this helps?
  • olgamarie_t
    olgamarie_t Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    thx arnfolly,
    its good to hear someone with arthritis doing weights even though not heavy,but i guess i will do like you light weights just to strenthen bones and musles and hopefully tone,i dont think ill get big muscles but at least toned would make me very happy
  • atla_moves
    Options
    I have fibro too and have just started a basic strength program (bodyweight and dumbells) against my docs recommendation. It's okay for me, though it does sometimes add pain, but I can swim and stretch with no problems (usually).

Have you considered seeing a physical therapist and discussing your goals with her/him?
  • verzinoviolet
    Options
    My personal trainer put a program together for me that helps keep inflammation down as much as possible while improving and maintaining my muscle strength to help protect my joints. I lift light weights with high repetitions (15 reps , 2 sets). I have reduced the intensity of my cardio workouts. My goal is to do cardio at a moderate intensity most day's of the week. I really like to get the" runners high" from really intense workouts, so it is really difficult for me to slow it down. Last week I pushed it too hard and caused a flare. Once I recover I am following her advice. No more high impact cardio workouts for me. For fibro my Rheumatologist said to "push it" with exercise because exercise actually helps fibro. She said that studies have shown that fibro is linked to poor sleep, specifically stage 3 sleep. She said that exercise will help me to get and stay in stage 3 sleep easier. I have found this true for me. Finding that right balance between exercising to improve my sleep and fibro while keeping it moderate enough to keep inflammation down has been a challenge. I am working on it. Best Wishes to you all.
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Hi I have fibro and am doing stronglifts I love it and lift heavy. I also do cardio 6 days a week combination of running and jillian michaels dvds, My pain levels vary but are worse when i don,t work out so will continue as long as i can.
  • badpenguin
    Options
    I have RA and I have learned that I can only do the circuit machines. If I try to do free weights it sends me into a flare up right away.
    I'm not sure why but it does every time.