Narcotics, Weightloss, & Cleansing

Options
HollyLayman
HollyLayman Posts: 39 Member
when you use narcatoics over any period of time...you have issues. Other MFP users who have zero pain must not know anything about the health field or must not have anyone close to them that uses them...so they don't understand what it does to the body... It's a fact of life. Every doctor will suggest a regimen of cleanses or stool softeners or something in that family. It's how it works. And I have been on them for over a year.I guess I can't expect others to understand my situation if they haven't been in a similar situation. This is why I have a hard time using this site from time to time. It's like... people with zero health issues never understand someone who isn't healthy and seems to think that we are trying to be unhealthy or unconventional. I really didn't have to be this way though. I'm not trying to hurt myself in any way. Honestly. And doctors really do advise me to cleanses, take stool softeners, or what have you. I have absolutely no reason to lie. If you don't want to be friends anymore... then delete me. I have no problem with that. It is what it is... I had back surgery... I have a leg that has zero feeling in it...and I trip on a daily basis...I suffer with exercises...and I struggle with things that you take advantage of doing everyday! I mean seriously... GEEZ... So... I want to do a HEALTHY cleanse that uses fruits and veggies, and where I actually EAT also...I just want to throw it out there that this is me. I am not going to hide anything from anyone. I wish people wouldn't constantly question my motives, just because I mention doing something. I am not YOU!!

Replies

• CottonCandyKisses
    CottonCandyKisses Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Water, water, and more water. Drink as much as you can.
  • lhulewsky
    Options
    As someone with chronic pain and also somone that takes narcotic medication to control that pain I love your honesty and your ability to tell it like it is. I am so tired of being constipated and feeling like yuck. I drink tons of water and eat plenty of fiber but right now I am very plugged up and was feeling awful with the idea that I might be considered to be abusing laxatives. Thanks for your honesty and your post. If you want to be friends on here I'd like the opportunity to be friends and at least I understand what you are going through...:smile:
  • Blown_Away1
    Blown_Away1 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Love the honesty of this thread! You have to live it and breathe it to know what it's like...thank you
  • lnovakowski
    lnovakowski Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I too love the honesty, and I completely agree!

I get so frustrated with people who so blithely comment I just use the opioids and even my health condition as a crutch! If i use stool softeners daily, I am ruining my digestive tract. I Have lost count the number of times I have "wished for them to walk a few steps in my shoes". Unless you have severe pain, you should keep your judgements and ideas to yourself.... My mom always said, " if you can't be civil, keep it to yourself" ...

When I am on medication, I do "appear" normal. After 11 years of constant pain from being in a serious motor vehicle accident...I have become a master at "not letting it show". Unless someone really knows me, they have no idea. I am not a drug abuser or addict. I wish people would be more understanding, I am not a miscreant , they can allow their children to come play with mine I need it to function.

I am not overweight because I am lazy, I have a really hard time moving. I try to do yoga and walk, but to be perfectly frank, sometimes I hurt too much to even do that. My friends jokingly say I have my own pharmacy ... But I take only have and take what I need to, in order to have some semblance of a normal life.

That does include taking a softener. I use "Senokot Tablets" to, on the advice of my pharmacist. I also drink a lot of water, eat dried fruits and lots of fresh fruits and veggies... 3 times a year I do a cleanse, and my doctor says I am doing everything right, to reduce the side effects.

I have been doing this for 5 - 1/2 years now. And most likely the rest of my life.
  • arnfolly
    arnfolly Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel. I took percocet recently for a surgery. The constipation was HORRIBLE. The only thing that helped me was almonds, lots of water, dried fruit and black berries. Even then it was every couple days, and I am normally a 3x a day girl! I know, crazy, I have very active happy bowels normally.
    Now, this is gonna be out there, but does your state recognize the use of medical mj? I have a few friends who use this to manage their OA and like it. Did not do much for me beside make me wanna eat a bag full of M&M's. So I stopped attempting to use it. But, if it DOES work, then it might help you get off the narcotics? Just a thought. Also, my sister who is a reg dietician said to up my use of good fat. So, I began adding olive oil. That helped a little bit also. :) I cannot imagine what you are going through and you do indeed have my empathy. So many people judged me for so long, but they did not realize with all my joints shot completely and at a young age of only 38 when it presented it was difficult to do the things others take for granted! Recently my surgeon made a comment that he was surprised by what he found in my hip joint, when I asked him why he was so surprised, he said "because you were walking" LOL I told him I have become so use to being in terrible pain I was doing my best to ignore it. and hide it. that is the key. Many people do not understand what it is like to wake to pain, to roll over in the night crying out in pain (even when you are not aware you are doing it) to stand up, walk across the room in pain, reach for a piece of paper in pain .......well, you understand eh? So, we put on our happy face, brace the winds of life and move on, one painful step @ a time.