Quick Form Examples - Multiple Angles

Options
chris1816
chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
I found this Youtube channel of a guy demonstrating most of the major lifts from both Starting Strength and Stronglifts. These showcase both proper form and common mistakes from multiple angles. Make sure you read the description as he will do one good rep, followed by a bad to show the difference:

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCarpVpyUPbZOxX6uAN4feig/videos?flow=grid&view=0

Replies

• sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    These are really good. Thanks Chris
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Love these. I can feel how the deadlift is going as he's doing it. Question - he extends his head out front in the OHP video and I was sure that on another vid you shared, the person said that was bad form. Extension at top of lift- yes, but don't think you are reaching extension by sticking your head out. I may be remembering wrong.
  • chris1816
    Options
    Love these. I can feel how the deadlift is going as he's doing it. Question - he extends his head out front in the OHP video and I was sure that on another vid you shared, the person said that was bad form. Extension at top of lift- yes, but don't think you are reaching extension by sticking your head out. I may be remembering wrong.

It's a slightly exaggerated movement but more in line with what Rippetoe coaches. Focus on the path of the bar instead and you see that he is reaching full extension in an ideal movement, the focus is to get under the bar much as you would on an Olympic Snatch lift and emphasis that slightly upward shrug of the shoulders.
  • beachlover317
    Options
    May have just been looking at it wrong. I'm just hyper aware of anything on this lift since it is my hardest for progression. Thanks.
  • sandradev1
    Options
    I agree with Jan that this video put me off a little. His arms seem to end up a bit too far back to me, but as Chris says, it is probably just that he is over exaggerating it to show the difference. I maybe saw the same video as Jan where it showed a female taking her arms right back at the top and he said this was wrong.
  • chris1816
    Options
    I agree with Jan that this video put me off a little. His arms seem to end up a bit too far back to me, but as Chris says, it is probably just that he is over exaggerating it to show the difference. I maybe saw the same video as Jan where it showed a female taking her arms right back at the top and he said this was wrong.

On each good rep, ignore his head, ignore everything else but the position of his shoulders, the bar, and his arms...in relation to the wall behind him.

The bar moves straight up with as minimal arm flaring as possible and no lateral rotation in the shoulders.

His head and torso move forward under the bar to ensure a strong vertical upward position.

Again the movement is semi exaggerated but rather well done.
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • sandradev1
    Options
    I get it now on the OHP one. On that video link he is moving quite fast so is difficult to see. Today I found a link to Rippetoe doing a training session on the OHP and the changes he has made to the mechanics of the move, by moving the hips to give thrust to the push up.

Seeing it done slower on the training, I now see this is what that guy is doing. The video for the training session by Rippetoe is:

http://startingstrength.com/index.php/site/platform_learning_to_press_2.0
  • chris1816
    Options
    I get it now on the OHP one. On that video link he is moving quite fast so is difficult to see. Today I found a link to Rippetoe doing a training session on the OHP and the changes he has made to the mechanics of the move, by moving the hips to give thrust to the push up.

Seeing it done slower on the training, I now see this is what that guy is doing. The video for the training session by Rippetoe is:

http://startingstrength.com/index.php/site/platform_learning_to_press_2.0

Yep! This is actually the new way he is teaching people to press. It's not quite a push press but uses the stretch of the posterior to help with the focus on an upward push.

I've actually seen this before but...true story? That hip action confuses the **** out of me and I can't actually do it, so been sticking with the old way for now :)
  • beachlover317
    Options
    Okay - my husband and dog think I am officially crazy! I just went through Rip's class with a broom pole in the kitchen. I love it and can't wait to try this out on Friday. I hate I've commited to a de load week next week. :sad:

Thanks Sandra for sending me that video. 2.0 rocks!!!
  • ccmandel
    ccmandel Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I actually watched this today and was also doing it along with everyone via broom handle too!

Susan
  • chris1816
    Options
    Okay actually this was the video I linked in the Strength Training 101 section, I thought I was crazy for a second.