Easy Breakfast Foods - The microwave is your friend

Options
I noticed in the Weight Loss Megathread there was a discussion about easy breakfast foods, so I thought we might start a list here for all the ideas we come up with! I know I'm not the only one skipping this meal due to excuses (more like general laziness).

As eggs tend to disagree with me, especially in the mornings, I typically don't eat them. Here's a beginning of a list:

DOS:
-Greek yogurt
-High protein bars (think 30g protein, 200 calories)
-Protein powder shakes
-Precooked turkey sausage/bacon
-Add protein powder to oatmeal (Haven't tried this one yet, hear its tasty though)

DONTS:
-Nothing
-Cereal (So horrible for you!)

Anyone else got ideas?

Replies

• PennywiseTheFrown
    Options
    I either have Greek yogurt or oatmeal with a quarter cup of raisins.... or both. More often than not I have nothing. =(

Eggs are reasonably fast if you don't mind cleaning up. Or you can make hard boiled eggs the night before.
  • MicahAaarrrgghh
    MicahAaarrrgghh Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just hopped over here to start the breakfast conversation up again. Lo and behold, here it is already!

Here's what the GF and I have been doing recently:
    1C - Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
    1C - Frozen Fruit
    1 scoop - Ideal Shape shake powder
    1/2C - Yogurt (we home made because we're snooty as **** but store bought would work too I guess)

It keeps me full until about 10:30 and is pretty darn yummy.

We've done full on breakfasts before with eggs and bacon, etc. but it's such a pain in the butt that early in the morning (and by early I mean before 11am).
  • minimogo
    minimogo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    being home all day (jobless) its just so hard to eat breakfast when in the past my breakfast was cookies. I usually can get down some scramby eggs & pre-cooked bacon. On lazy mornings its a ON Whey protein shake and a piece of LC cheesecake. Weekends is a different story, I make my famous baked eggs or, almond cakes.
  • detectivemonkey
    Options
    I typically eat a packet of oatmeal and then a piece of fruit a couple hours later (banana or apple). However, next week I'm going to start making a green smoothie the night before and stashing it in the fridge. I'm terrible at waking up in the morning, so I need something I can make at work or grab and go. Anyone have experience making smoothies the night before? As long as I mix it up the next day I've heard it's fine, but any tips would be great.
  • minimogo
    minimogo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love making smoothies and they keep in the fridge. I typically used greek yogurt, berries, protein powder and spinach.
  • Opticalfish
    Opticalfish Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've recently become addicted to protein bars as a quick meal replacement, especially the ThinkThin ones. They're super yummy!
  • ohkaynow
    ohkaynow Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am awful at breakfasts in the morning, so I just prepare the night before and eat this over and over ad infinitum:

1/2 cup greek yogurt
    1/4 Bob's Red Mill Muesli (its got lots of different grains and dates and raisins and nuts in it)
    a dash of dried blueberries
    a dash of dried cranberries
    and 1/3 tbsp dried shredded coconut

and a half cup of cubed whatever fruit I have around, usually peaches or strawberries.

I just mix it up at night in a tupperware-type container, and the muesli gets nice but not mushy, and the dried fruit is slightly rehydrated from the greek yogurt. It doesn't sound like a lot but the yogurt/muesli is thick and filling.

Usually runs around 260 calories.
  • PennywiseTheFrown
    Options
    Regarding the smoothie preparation, Alton Brown :allears: puts everything in the blender and stores its in the fridge the night before. Then in the morning he pulls it out and blends it.
  • detectivemonkey
    Options
    That makes sense, although the main reason I don't do it in the morning is because my husband is asleep at that point (or just waking up) and my blender is incredibly loud. Also because I only wake up about 10 minutes before I leave the house, but I"m going to say it's the husband thing. I've actually been doing this for 2 weeks now and it's working out great!
  • walkerpage
    Options
    My choices are cereal or nothing. What should I pick? Kashi isn't nearly as healthy as the commercials imply, I take it?
  • Beigewhale
    Beigewhale Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    This is my cereal of choice: http://goodnesssuperfoods.com.au/digestive-1st-2/

50g cereal + 100g strawberries + 15g Manuka honey + 1 cup skim milk. = 373kcal

Makes you poop like a racehorse, too!