ways to increase steps

Options
diane1223
diane1223 Posts: 43 Member
I love my fit bit and am trying to increase my steps each day. Any ideas for ways to increase steps doing ordinary activities? It is so cold and rainy...not much outside walking for me this week!

Replies

• diane1223
    Options
    BTW, I've had it a week, and my highest day i logged over 12,000 steps.
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I've had days where I was close to a badge and just did laps around the house. :). I take stairs whenever possible. Park farther away if not to cold
  • diane1223
    Options
    Great tips!
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Just walk on the spot if you're watching TV (make sure to lift your legs up or it won't register correctly), park further away when you go somewhere, walk as much as possible when folding washing (take one piece at a time to the drawer/closet). Just little things like that!
  • annabella5188
    annabella5188 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Those are great ideas! I've had my Fitbit for a couple of week and while I really love it, I have a desk job (IT) and its hard to get up from it. Majority of my activity comes in the evening after work so I'm trying to change this up.

Thanks for the tips!!!!!!!
  • fervc6064
    Options
    I was just saying that my fitbit makes me realize how little a I actually walk. These are some good tips.
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    You can also do walking at home with Leslie Sansone on Youtube for free. I do the 5 mile walk but she does 1 mile and upwards. It is all free and can be done indoors
  • viajera99
    viajera99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Whenever I'm reheating coffee or food in the microwave I do "laps" around the house for those 3 minutes. I didn't realize how much time I spent just waiting. :)
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    You can also do walking at home with Leslie Sansone on Youtube for free. I do the 5 mile walk but she does 1 mile and upwards. It is all free and can be done indoors

Yeah I love the 5 mile one. I do that all the time when I'm close to my 20,000. I set myself a goal of at least 20,000 a ay. Today though I have to beat my husband so I got about 200 more steps to go.... I'm at 27,000 right about now & he is in bed asleep.

I usually walk for hours on the spot if I'm not going anywhere. I will however walk 17km just to the supermarket to buy a light globe.
  • shewearsfunnyhat
    shewearsfunnyhat Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I go for a walk in the evening after dinner if I am under my goal step count for the day. I also go for walks during my two 20 min breaks at work. It also helps to boost my mood throughout the day. I try to walk during lunch too. But, I am working full time and taking a class so lunch is sometimes homework time.
  • pgrewing
    Options
    I got my fitbit last month and love it too!

Here are some of the ideas that worked well for me (I have 2 kids, so most ideas I do with them):
    1. Put on music and dance (I rack up steps really fast this way)
    2. Pace when I talk on the phone
    3. Get up from my desk every hour and visit the far away upstairs bathroom
    4. Park in the last spot at work/grocery store/etc
    5. Walk at home with Leslie Sanstone

All this and I find that to make it to 10K steps, I have to exercise. So now I do- 6 days a week. This is the best motivational tool I've ever had.
  • fervc6064
    Options
    My wife has been using the Leslie Sansone video. I should probably try that too.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    My wife has been using the Leslie Sansone video. I should probably try that too.

For sure. Just do it. Those ones are actually way more than just walking.... you can get a serious sweat up. I get my cardio workout from that as well.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Instead of standing still when waiting for the school bus, I pace.

Instead of using the bathroom directly opposite my office, I use the one downstairs.

When I'm on a conference call, I pace, rather than sitting at my desk.

Little things, but they add up.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    I walk around my house when brushing my teeth or just pace back and forth. I don't have a lot of pressing demands at my one job, so I walk laps around the room when no one is in here. It's about 50 steps around (dodging chairs and bookcases) so I can get my count up pretty easily.
  • Lexi507
    Lexi507 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I walk up the stairs after lunch. Since I'm on the 5th floor and starting in the basement, that gives me a bunch of steps and a bunch of stairs. I also take the long way around the office to get to the bathroom or to refill my water bottle.
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I get in 800 to 900 steps while combing my hair and brushing my teeth, and hundreds more in the shower -- FB in ziploc bag attached to leg with a hair band.
  • FishyK
    FishyK Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I just started a new job in an unusual lofty, sunlit office space with a long-ish walk to the printer and where we almost always talk to each other face to face instead of phone or email. I'm constantly standing up to move paper and communicate. I have even gotten 10,000 steps in an 8 hour office day's work! Just a bit more effort puts me over the top most days, and when I add dedicated power walking I'm beating most or all of my Fitbit friends. I was offered another job in a more traditional office environment for more money, but I kept this one because I move so much and it makes me happy. Plus, there is a super cute office dog.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    FishyK wrote: »
    I just started a new job in an unusual lofty, sunlit office space with a long-ish walk to the printer and where we almost always talk to each other face to face instead of phone or email. I'm constantly standing up to move paper and communicate. I have even gotten 10,000 steps in an 8 hour office day's work!

I was offered another job in a more traditional office environment for more money, but I kept this one because I move so much and it makes me happy.

Hurray for work/life balance! I'm currently job hunting, and never even thought about step count at work.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    FishyK wrote: »
    I just started a new job in an unusual lofty, sunlit office space with a long-ish walk to the printer and where we almost always talk to each other face to face instead of phone or email. I'm constantly standing up to move paper and communicate. I have even gotten 10,000 steps in an 8 hour office day's work! Just a bit more effort puts me over the top most days, and when I add dedicated power walking I'm beating most or all of my Fitbit friends. I was offered another job in a more traditional office environment for more money, but I kept this one because I move so much and it makes me happy. Plus, there is a super cute office dog.

<3<3<3 You have excellent priorities.

And to contribute to the thread.
    I suggest a short walk, 10 mins or so after each meal. Adds steps and helps your digestion at the same time. Even if indoors where you work, even better if you can step outside to do it.

We have a garden and I like to make laps around it.

If you live in a neighborhood that is safe to walk in, get to know all the side streets near you. I have met people, met dogs :), and seen some gorgeous flowerbeds. Also there is a bunch of wild life. Even saw a coyote running across the park near the pond where pelicans were doing a few days of layover before continuing their migration.

Get to know the city, county, and state parks in your area. They all have good walking trails.

Turn on some music and dance like no one is looking.