Motivational Book/Blog/TV Show etc

Hi Guys,

Remember that as part of our Week #2 challenge we need to share what we used as a motivational tool (book/blog/magazine/TV show/Movie/Music/whatever).

Share it.
Summarize it.
Let us know how we can use it too!

- WindSong929

Replies

• Hi Everyone, Mary Anne here!

I'd like to share my motivational book that is helping me-

The Eat Clean Diet Cookbook by Tosca Reno.

Basically, it is a way of eating that combines a lean protein with a complex carb at every meal, and to eat every 2-3 hours. It is also eating foods in their most natural "clean" state, and avoiding processed food like white flour and sugar. Eating every 2-3 hours, either a meal or a small snack helps keep your blood sugar stable. Mine tends to be too low, and I get like Joe Pesci in those Snickers Ads. Avoiding those insulin spikes helps keep the carbs from storing as fat. Lots of water help flush the body, and aids in weight loss. I just started this, this past week, and I have felt so much better. I want to FEEL better, and ultimately LOOK better. : )

Here are some of the basic Eating Clean Principals:

Eat 5-6 small meals every day
    Eat every 2-3 hours
    Combine lean protein and complex carbs at every meal
    Drink at least 8 cups of water a day
    Never miss a meal, especially breakfast
    Carry your meals and snacks with you to get you through the day
    Avoid all over-processed refined foods, especially white flour and sugar
    Avoid all saturated and trans fats
    Avoid sugar-loaded colas and juices
    Consume healthy fats each day
    Avoid alcohol, another form of sugar
    Avoid all calorie dense foods containing no nutritional value
    Depend of fresh fruits and vegetables for fiber, vitamins and enzymes
    Stick to proper portion sizes, no super sizing.

So, that, in a nutshell is what is motivating me lately. I am trying hard to follow it, and I'm a carb fanatic, so I switched to Ezekiel bread, and I am using agave syrup instead of sugar, in my coffee.

I'm looking forward to reading what is helping everyone else.

All the best,
    Mary Anne
  • Music (some of my favorite workout songs):
    The Beatles - Ain't She Sweet
    I Never Woke Up In Handcuffs Before - Hans Zimmer - Sherlock Holmes
    Salaam e ishq (India)
    Wonder Girls - Like this (Korea)
    MC Hammer - U Can't Touch This
    Marek Hemmann - You Know
    Ocean's Twelve The A La Menthe (Instrumental) by La Caution
    Elvis Presley - A Little Less Conversation
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Crud..just shared my info on another page...errr...where is it...
  • Treasure yourself by Miranda Kerr
    I like to read, so I have to say this book is not about it...it's not a novel, or some memoirs, it's just a collection of wisdom quotations by Don Miguel Ruiz, Louise Hay, Steven Covey and of course Miranda Kerr herself. I like this book because it is very girly - there are a lot of cute pictures of flowers:flowerforyou: and butterflies there and it's just very pleasant to hold it in hands, but it's also a great collection of wisdom affirmations, so well...I like it.
  • PerlaRubi2013
    PerlaRubi2013 Posts: 110 Member
    One book the motivates me a lot is called "the secret" basically it talks about the law of attraction if we think positive thoughts then good things happens to us but if we think negatively then we attract bad things for example if we keep saying or thinking "I am never going to change or lose weight" then that is what we are going to attract to not lose weight. We have to be positive and believe in ourselves we have to say "I am going to lose weight." And this may sound stupid or dumb but I am making a collage of nice bodies from magazines and I tell myself that some day really soon I will be like that. Obviously I won't be exactly like those models but I will be happy with myself!! So lets think positive thoughts!! :)
  • ppalma06,:drinker: =*shaking hands* I'm doing the same thing, besides I just love the process of making collages=)
  • PerlaRubi2013
    Thanks spring_breeze! For some reason is ispiring to look at maybe because they are wearing pretty clothes that fits them perfectly or their nice slim faces! :) Someday really soon that will be us! :)
  • River__Song
    River__Song Posts: 126 Member
    I am making a journal/scrapbook of my weight loss journey. When I reach my long term goal I am going to bind it. It's great on days when I am losing sight of things, because I can look back at all my hard work and inspire myself to keep going and keep positive.
  • I am making a journal/scrapbook of my weight loss journey. When I reach my long term goal I am going to bind it. It's great on days when I am losing sight of things, because I can look back at all my hard work and inspire myself to keep going and keep positive.

Very cool idea! :happy:
  • River__Song
    River__Song Posts: 126 Member
    I am making a journal/scrapbook of my weight loss journey. When I reach my long term goal I am going to bind it. It's great on days when I am losing sight of things, because I can look back at all my hard work and inspire myself to keep going and keep positive.

Very cool idea! :happy:

Thank you :-)
  • DeniseMarSi
    DeniseMarSi Posts: 68 Member
    One book the motivates me a lot is called "the secret" basically it talks about the law of attraction if we think positive thoughts then good things happens to us but if we think negatively then we attract bad things for example if we keep saying or thinking "I am never going to change or lose weight" then that is what we are going to attract to not lose weight. We have to be positive and believe in ourselves we have to say "I am going to lose weight." And this may sound stupid or dumb but I am making a collage of nice bodies from magazines and I tell myself that some day really soon I will be like that. Obviously I won't be exactly like those models but I will be happy with myself!! So lets think positive thoughts!! :)

I

I have a friend who follows "The Secret" idea and book, and he lost 80 lbs+ and is now training for a race. ( can't remember if it is a half marathon, or something like that" but he has done great just using that philosophy!
  • DeniseMarSi
    DeniseMarSi Posts: 68 Member
    I have a couple new media based things that motivate me:

I watch Dr. Oz, sometimes and pick up tidbits of information and follow up on his website for things that peak my interest to learn more about it. ( I don't follow everything, but certainly consider the things that look reasonable.)

I watched the series Ruby on Netflix, and I really like that they focus on some of the emotional/mental inner workings of being overweight and the comparison to it like an addiction really. I just like that she is so real, and although I didn't gain as much as she did, I can at least relate to her struggles.

I use the blog on MFP as a private personal diary, to try to vent my emotions, so that I don't just turn to food, and trying to be more introspective into my own inner workings.

I love Pandora!! shuffle, where I can choose Latin Beats, Punk Music, etc.. to keep me moving during my run/walks.. at the gym. Just the not knowing what song is coming next is fun..
  • I love Pandora!! shuffle, where I can choose Latin Beats, Punk Music, etc.. to keep me moving during my run/walks.. at the gym. Just the not knowing what song is coming next is fun..

That's a cool idea. music is sooooo inspiring and motivating. I only have Pandora on my computer, since I don't have a smart phone. : (

One of the reasons I like to work out to anything Chalene Johnson does, is that she appreciates music so much too, and uses it to keep you going. It's almost like a party. Almost. haha! Turbo Jam and Turbo Fire are a lot of fun. I'm going to try Zumba next.
  • PerlaRubi2013

Its a wonderful philosophy I highly suggest it to anyone! :)

I

I have a friend who follows "The Secret" idea and book, and he lost 80 lbs+ and is now training for a race. ( can't remember if it is a half marathon, or something like that" but he has done great just using that philosophy!
  • PerlaRubi2013
    I have a couple new media based things that motivate me:

I watch Dr. Oz, sometimes and pick up tidbits of information and follow up on his website for things that peak my interest to learn more about it. ( I don't follow everything, but certainly consider the things that look reasonable.)

I watched the series Ruby on Netflix, and I really like that they focus on some of the emotional/mental inner workings of being overweight and the comparison to it like an addiction really. I just like that she is so real, and although I didn't gain as much as she did, I can at least relate to her struggles.

I use the blog on MFP as a private personal diary, to try to vent my emotions, so that I don't just turn to food, and trying to be more introspective into my own inner workings.

I love Pandora!! shuffle, where I can choose Latin Beats, Punk Music, etc.. to keep me moving during my run/walks.. at the gym. Just the not knowing what song is coming next is fun..

I'm going to try the ruby series and see whats that about! ;) hey my middle name is ruby lol and I recommend that you try the Zumba station on pandora I love it! :)
  • Wed 02/13/13 11:38 PM
    The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

It's a very popular book that was written back in 88' , it's the story of perseverance, and it was actually really good. The only downside is that it's very confusing to read at times (It was translated from Portuguese) , and that it's more of an young adult fiction at times. There are some reviews, about the book, but i'll just give some inspirational quotes from the book, if you want to know more about the book, it can be found on Googlebooks for free.
    "When you really want something, the whole universe conspires in helping you to achieve it." A great quote derived from this book and I agree to the fullest, someone that strives for something will eventually achieve it. Even if it's as little as drinking 8 glasses a day to running a marathon, if you strive for it, you will eventually get your wish. No one want's to see you fail, no one wants to see you cry, but no one sees the way you want unless you strive for what you do.
    Everything you do leaves a legacy, a " Personal Legacy" As the book puts it, one that will live on, through pictures, through video, through, speech, and through memories, it's up to us and no one else when all said and done. Will you achieve or will you take the easier course. Because for every mile you walk, you can walk a little more, for every weight you life, you can always lift more. This is also said for our persuasion for every dessert we eat, we can eat one less, the examples are endless for both.
    The last quote ill elaborate on is “There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.” Which is very appropriate, do not be afraid to fail, as they say once you fall, get back up again. Because trying and failing is 10000% better than never trying at all. However with support and planning, success becomes more imminent than without.
  • PerlaRubi2013
    Wed 02/13/13 11:38 PM
    The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

It's a very popular book that was written back in 88' , it's the story of perseverance, and it was actually really good. The only downside is that it's very confusing to read at times (It was translated from Portuguese) , and that it's more of an young adult fiction at times. There are some reviews, about the book, but i'll just give some inspirational quotes from the book, if you want to know more about the book, it can be found on Googlebooks for free.
    "When you really want something, the whole universe conspires in helping you to achieve it." A great quote derived from this book and I agree to the fullest, someone that strives for something will eventually achieve it. Even if it's as little as drinking 8 glasses a day to running a marathon, if you strive for it, you will eventually get your wish. No one want's to see you fail, no one wants to see you cry, but no one sees the way you want unless you strive for what you do.
    Everything you do leaves a legacy, a " Personal Legacy" As the book puts it, one that will live on, through pictures, through video, through, speech, and through memories, it's up to us and no one else when all said and done. Will you achieve or will you take the easier course. Because for every mile you walk, you can walk a little more, for every weight you life, you can always lift more. This is also said for our persuasion for every dessert we eat, we can eat one less, the examples are endless for both.
    The last quote ill elaborate on is “There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.” Which is very appropriate, do not be afraid to fail, as they say once you fall, get back up again. Because trying and failing is 10000% better than never trying at all. However with support and planning, success becomes more imminent than without.

Wow!!! Beautiful I love it! Thank you for sharing and that is so true!!! :)
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    http://beforeandafterinprogress.tumblr.com/

The Tumblr page itself is really meh, but I follow them on Tumblr, so I see all the posts on my dashboard (you can't really see the posts on the actual main page). I really like this blog, because they post before and after pictures that people send in, as well as motivational quotes and pictures- and it's good motivational pictures that inspire you to work out, not the creepy kind of a starved girl that says "Don't you want to look thin?"
    Anyway, it's a good source of motivation for me, especially since I get on Tumblr when I'm being lazy. Then I see the motivational posts and it kind of makes me want to get dressed and go to the gym.
    Anybody can use it. The main page is kind of weird and unorganized, but if you just click on random posts, they will pop up. And if you have a Tumblr, you should follow them!
  • http://beforeandafterinprogress.tumblr.com/

The Tumblr page itself is really meh, but I follow them on Tumblr, so I see all the posts on my dashboard (you can't really see the posts on the actual main page). I really like this blog, because they post before and after pictures that people send in, as well as motivational quotes and pictures- and it's good motivational pictures that inspire you to work out, not the creepy kind of a starved girl that says "Don't you want to look thin?"
    Anyway, it's a good source of motivation for me, especially since I get on Tumblr when I'm being lazy. Then I see the motivational posts and it kind of makes me want to get dressed and go to the gym.
    Anybody can use it. The main page is kind of weird and unorganized, but if you just click on random posts, they will pop up. And if you have a Tumblr, you should follow them!

cool, I have a Tumblr, don't go there often, but thanks for the heads up, I will visit. : )
  • WALL·E

The episode when the captain finally stands on his own feet from his comfortable chair- it's hilariously awesome.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qSaGrbnEesg