Do You Use Vega One Products/Shakes?

Options
KetsyBaby
KetsyBaby Posts: 40 Member
I just bought a tub of the Vanilla VegaOne Nutritional Shake today, as my doctor wants me to aim for 100g of protein per day for weight loss (based on my current weight and the amount I still have to lose till I can have surgery on my bad gut). I was struggling to even get 80g of protein from dietary sources alone even with lots of Soy Milk, TVP and Soy Protein Isolate Meats, and High Protein Grains, Beans and Nuts. I just checked out the Thrive website ( http://thriveforward.com ) and am looking forward to watching the pile of videos recommended based on my chief concerns.

I like that it is tailored to the individual (the website that is), and it is not just focused on athletes either. I have most of my issues with mood, sleep, and general health concerns, and it was really nice to see that those were part of the Thrive focus. I think I may check out the books and resources, depending on how I like what I see and how the shakes taste.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to prepare the shakes? They are super expensive:
$31.99 for 414g Plant Based VegaOne All-In-One Nutritional Shake French Vanilla
ON SALE at Shoppers Drug Mart, Toronto, Canada

Are they best right away or do they hold for a bit? Are they best with water or soy/almond milk? Do you find berry, chocolate, plain, or vanilla flavor your favorites? Is there a smoothie recipe you use when you make the shakes?

Just looking for ideas. Anything will help! :drinker:

:heart: Ketsy :heart: , Vegan x 5 Weeks And Loving It!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
9159792.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• shelsab
    shelsab Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I just tried the vega one French vanilla last week and i had it with unsweetened almond milk. It was super sweet!! Not in a good way :( I like sweet things but this was over the top. I also tried the chocolate vega one with water...I am very sure it would be exactly what I am looking forward to if used with unsweetened almond milk. I am also looking for a good vegan protein mix and it has been hard. I tried two other ones and they were horrible!! They were way too grainy. So vega one was the best by far
  • Lecterman
    Lecterman Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I prefer PlantFusion, it's not too sweet and mixes easily.
  • Evachiquita
    Evachiquita Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I have never used Vega. I'm sure it is a good product, but too pricey for me! I have tried the plant protein blend in vanilla and the brown rice protein blend in vanilla from Vitacost.com. I just ordered a Sun Warrior brown rice protein, natural flavor, that I haven't tried yet. The Vita Cost plant blend is pretty sweet for me, and a little chalky. The Vita Cost brown rice protein powder is less sweet and not as chalky. I also use Nutiva hemp protein powder and whole hemp seeds.

I like to blend my protein powder with a banana to cover up the chalkyness. I sometimes also add nuts or nut butter, sometimes coconut oil. One smoothie I have been making is brown rice protein, hemp protein powder, cocoa powder, peanut butter, half a banana, vanilla extract. I think that works out to something around 20-25 grams of protein depending on the amounts of course.

I have been getting close to 100g of protein on some days so check out my diary for some possible ideas. I have been relying on one protein shake a day when I work out to provide me anywhere from 15-30 grams of protein though. I do not use milk substitutes. I think they are expensive and unnecessary. I also don't rely on unfermented soy such as TVP, fake meat, or soy protein powder.
  • jezama77
    jezama77 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I just bought some individual sizes of Vega One to sample. I really liked the chocolate one made with water and a banana and ice. This morning I had the Vanilla Chai one. It was good, but I didn't like it as much. I bought the berry to try too, but I'm thinking that I will probably like and purchase the chocolate one because I love chocolate, and this seems a good way to get the chocolate taste, but still be in the vegan/decent eating type lifestyle...
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I like the protein bars. The shakes are too expensive for me. I find it more worthwhile to use a high protein powder like Pea protein and add my own fruit and flavorings.
  • veganashley
    veganashley Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I tried a sample of the chocolate and hated it. It was very sweet and had a strange flavor.

I've tried a lot of proteins and have settled on pea protein as my favorite. It has a fairly neutral flavor and smooth texture. I recommend Vitacost pea protein (sweetened with stevia) and Life's Basic plant protein (unsweetened).
  • jezama77
    Options
    I tried to the berry Vega One this morning. Didn't like it at all. I want to go try pea protein now! Thanks for the tip. :)
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    I tried to the berry Vega One this morning. Didn't like it at all. I want to go try pea protein now! Thanks for the tip. :)

I strongly advise making it into some form of a shake or smoothie. It will not taste good just in liquid. Even in shakes and smoothies, it took awhile to adapt to the taste. I definitely drink it for the macros not the taste. :)
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    I did however just make a passionflower iced tea with plenty of lime juice and some stevia with ice and pea protein powder and it was very tolerable.
  • jezama77
    Options
    Maybe I won't try pea powder...I want more than tolerable... :(
  • RumpusP
    RumpusP Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Sorta off topic but since it's leaned that way a bit:

I don't like the Vega taste at all, I use PlantFusion. Still not what I'd called delicious (it *is* protein powder, after all) but it's not horrible (at least not in the chocolate, I didn't like vanilla) and mixes up really fast and easy. I make it with either Silk vanilla or vanilla almond milk.
  • oliveoil109
    Options
    Hello, not sure if you are aware but FDA Recalled Vega One Nutritional Shakes and Vega Sport Performance Protein Product For Antibiotic Contamination! It contained trace amounts of chloramphenicol (CAP), an antibiotic used to treat typhoid fever and eye infections! "According to Web MD, CAP can cause aplastic anemia and hella allergic reactions in some people. Pregnant or lactating women should not take this drug!" - http://vegansaurus.com/post/66840423364

Here is the fda recall accouncement: http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm374392.htm

Vega one announcement: http://vegarecall.com/

I started taking it in March, and felt really ill in June for a whole weekend...I felt more sick than ever before and thought it was a bad stomach virus or food poisioning. Literally on the toilet for two days straight. Lost probably 5-10 pounds that weekend and I am very tiny, I might need to go into the docs now and check it see if this was the cause and if I have aplastic anemia or something. Unforutnately I don't have the vega jars anymore with me to confirm the stock number, but odds are within those 2-3 jars I took over the spring/summer mine were contaminated too...
  • jaelus
    jaelus Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Here are the lot numbers that were recalled: http://vegarecall.com/lot-codes/

Many products and flavors were unaffected.
  • micneg01
    micneg01 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I put a scoop of garden of life raw protein in my smoothies. I add bananas, blueberries, and almond milk to mask the taste. I have tried VegaOne but didn't care for it. Raw Protein has 80 calories, 17 grams of protein, and less than one gram of sugar. If I feel like something chocolate, I add some cacao powder.
  • ycarmen12
    ycarmen12 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use Vega. Chocolate and berry (with water) are my favorite flavors. I've experienced blends to go bad by next day so I blend and drink same day now.
  • fouroclock
    fouroclock Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I love vega berry protein powder. I make a shake in the vitamix with water or unsweetened almond milk, frozen berries and 2-3 cups of kale or other greens and one or two tangerines. I drink it within a few hours as it tends to thicken because of all the fiber in the greens.
  • Bunnybeesweet
    Bunnybeesweet Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I don't love the taste of vega either, but stirred into oatmeal and fruit is pretty good
  • mteague277
    mteague277 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer arbonne vegan protein (pea and cranberry protein), it is the only one I have had so far that isn't overly sweet, doesn't use fake sugar or just tastes gross. 100g of protein seems like a lot to me though, even for extreme athletes.
  • veggiemama81
    veggiemama81 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am a Phood devotee. I've used Vega and it was okay but waaaay to expensive. The vanilla Phood is a little sweet but I use reduced sugar almond milk and a few frozen strawberries and it turns out great. I forgot to add ice one time when I used a banana and I ended up with what was basically vanilla pudding, but it was tasty none the less. I put it in the fridge and used it as fruit dip later in the day.
  • rjdunn87
    rjdunn87 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I don't mind Vega in smoothies, but I can't drink it just shaken up with liquid. Right now I'm using Garden of Life RAW protein powder in chocolate, and I blend that every morning with: a cup of almond milk, a banana, a handful of spinach, flax seed, ice, and a tablespoon of peanut butter. Works out to be around 30g of protein.

I don't know if this is a company wide thing, but both Vega and Garden of Life products are on sale at the Whole Foods in my area (Seattle) right now.