Struggling with

Options
Good morning!

I have never posted in this room before. I have been diagnosed with PCOS and have been told to go on a very lo carb diet. But I guess that flipped a switch and makes me want them all the time. I have been pretty good and staying below 100g but that is if I force myself. How do you guys mentally stick with it if this is the plan your doctor reccommended? My husband went lo carb with me and he is doing great. sigh, just need some envouragement. Thanks!!

Replies

• melodymedlin
    melodymedlin Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I personally find it easier to stick with less than 150g per day. A normal women's daily intake should be around 280-290g (from nutrish.) If you were used to having a lot of carbs start slowly backing off. Believe it or not it does work! Keep in mind there will be days you will be over and thats ok. :smile:
    Also if you want to know about foods with little or no carbs here are a few...
    Green veggies are a huge biggie (lettuce, spinch, etc
    Try finding whole grain items if you eat bread (sara lee 100% whole wheat has like 10g per slice)
    Popcorn (you can have 3c and its around 12-14carbs)
    A small serving of fruit is 60calories and 15g of carbs.
    If you drink soda thats a big kicker right there! Try water with a twist of lime/lemon or other fruit. (strawberry water is great. Just slice and squeeze(messy) then add water)

I know this wasn't that huge of a help but at least its some kind of idea what other's are doing. :flowerforyou:
    I hope you have a great day and that other's voice there opinion too. God bless
  • thatsingergirl
    thatsingergirl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I agree with the comment above... do it gradually, and you'll notice it's much easier! I try to stay under 100 g a day when I don't work out, and MFP adjusts it to be the right ratio when I do work out. But it did take a while to get there, and to adjust to it. I'd also suggest replacing refined carbs with veggies and low starch fruits like apples, berries, pears, etc. That will go a loooong way!
  • karoline8
    Options
    I try to eat low carb too, usually under 150 grams on days when I don't work out and under 200 grams on days that I do. I sometimes have powerful cravings for bread and sweets. It helps me to only eat vegetable and high protein snacks instead of only fruit or starchy, high carb snacks like most people eat (pretzels, granola bars, etc). That way I feel full and am less likely to have an afternoon or late night craving for something sweet. My favorites are almonds, boiled eggs, greek yogurt (plain with real berries added, not the premixed flavors that are full of sugar), cottage cheese, and veggies with hummus.

Mentally and emotionally, the best thing for me to do is to NOT think about it as giving up the foods I love. My husband, who is also losing weight and cutting back on carbs, and I experiment with making our own protein cookies and all kinds of other new foods trying to discover what else we like. I'm gaining some new favorite foods and trying to push my old favorites to the back of my mind. And every once in a while I cheat and have a small portion of those bad foods so I don't feel deprived.
  • navydentalchic
    navydentalchic Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    thanks guys. I think i will try backing off slowly. I guess I am not a cold turkey kind of girl! ;) lol
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I went cold turkey with it and I feel pretty satisfied under 100g. I'm down 23lbs in 40 days. I know some people mentioned that when they exercise it scales up, but I did ask my internist and dietitian about it and they said even if one is eating their exercise calories, they shouldn't, with PCOS, allow the carbs to scale up--use the extra for protein instead. I'm at 1200 and an not supposed to eat exercise back.

My diary is open to friends and if you'd like to add me, that would be great! I fit a lot of food in for under 100g of carbs and I never eat any diet foods or take shortcuts, so it might be helpful to see some options. I actually found that with carbs at a 100g, I have more food to eat--since carbs were taking up too much valuable real estate before.