How to avoid butt winking?

Options
Hey guys, I've sorta just started 2 weeks ago. So today I did workout B, and while at the gym, a rather embarrassing thing happened. The entire time that I was there, this one fellow kept glancing at me, but I was completely lost on why he would be doing so. Later, as he was leaving, he told me that when I go down on my squat, I'm curving my lower back/not putting enough weight on my heels. Anyways, as odd as it was, I'm glad he pointed it out... it's nice that some people at the gym really do want to help noobs who have no one to check form for them.

But, it's just so hard to avoid it, though! I've been slowly building up the amount I squat, as indicated in the guidelines for this program, so I'm currently squatting 65lbs. Next time I squat, should I lower my weights in order to get my form right, or should I just try to fix my form first, then proceed to increase to 70lbs? Also, how can you tell if you're butt winking without having a mirror or someone to check you?

Replies

• Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, I've sorta just started 2 weeks ago. So today I did workout B, and while at the gym, a rather embarrassing thing happened. The entire time that I was there, this one fellow kept glancing at me, but I was completely lost on why he would be doing so. Later, as he was leaving, he told me that when I go down on my squat, I'm curving my lower back/not putting enough weight on my heels. Anyways, as odd as it was, I'm glad he pointed it out... it's nice that some people at the gym really do want to help noobs who have no one to check form for them.

But, it's just so hard to avoid it, though! I've been slowly building up the amount I squat, as indicated in the guidelines for this program, so I'm currently squatting 65lbs. Next time I squat, should I lower my weights in order to get my form right, or should I just try to fix my form first, then proceed to increase to 70lbs? Also, how can you tell if you're butt winking without having a mirror or someone to check you?

You might want to go to the Stronglifts 5x5 for women support group here...and past there. There are some really knowledgable women there...personally I start with an empty bar and work up to my work weight. It helps me warm up and practice my form.
  • hiimanupa
    Options
    Ahh.. I thought that this IS the support group though, no? o_O
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options

yeah, my bad, I went from my feed since you are on my FL...sorry...my bad.

:flowerforyou:
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    We've been talking about this on the chat thread... I think the best way to sum it up is that you want to keep thinking about having your back arched, your butt out and up, and your chest up. Also, if you are lifting in running shoes or cross-trainers, you probably want to invest in flat-soled shoes, like Converse or Keds, which it sounds like they sell pretty cheap at Payless. Or you can lift barefoot.
  • hiimanupa
    Options
    :-) Thanks! I wear fairly flat shoes already. I'll try what you said too, though. And I'll look at the chat thread... that sounds useful.
  • hiimanupa
    Options

yeah, my bad, I went from my feed since you are on my FL...sorry...my bad.

:flowerforyou:

Haha, no worries! :drinker:
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I actually did squats with no weights at all until I go the form right, and am now doing them with the bar. No weights yet but today was only my 5th session. I'm a real stickler for form. The weights can wait.
  • HolliCooper
    HolliCooper Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    he he "butt winking"

Okay now my childishness has been appeased:

My first 2 weeks I was squatting and thinking "tra la la I am awesome!" then my sister came over and kicked my squatting *kitten*!
    I wasn't engaging my core on any of my lifts and in my squat that meant my butt was pushing back and my chest coming forward. Doh!

As soon as I started engaging my core and loosening off my knees at the top of a squat I found my hips automatically went into neutral position and I could focus on keeping my chest high.

I thought the exact same thing as you dhansen and i'm not moving off the 20kg bar until I'm confident with my form. If I can do a whole set without losing core engagement and chest height then I'll know its time to move up again. :)

Good luck with your form work! :)
  • MeDoula
    MeDoula Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I had DH record me squat today and noticed that I had some butt winking going on. I'm not sure if it looks like that because I have a big butt or if it's truly butt winking. I'm going to go back to lower weight and see how that works.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    There's a discussion of butt-winking at the bottom of this article.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/whats-the-proper-way-to-squat-qa.html
  • hiimanupa
    Options
    There's a discussion of butt-winking at the bottom of this article.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/whats-the-proper-way-to-squat-qa.html

Thanks for that. So I actually looked at what my butt looks like when I squat a few times in the mirror, but I can't actually see any serious rounding of the lower back... when I go really low, my back straightens out a bit, but no serious curving happens. This article seems to indicate that slight butt winking isn't actually much of an issue, and I've heard a few people claim that butt winking isn't in fact all that bad; for some it may even be inevitable. Hmmph. I would post a video or something, because I'm wondering what it was that the random gym person saw, but I'm in college with no video cameras. >_>

Thanks for the help, everyone. @HolliCooper, hehehe... I love the term butt wink. I think it's cute. :tongue:
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I thought the exact same thing as you dhansen and i'm not moving off the 20kg bar until I'm confident with my form. If I can do a whole set without losing core engagement and chest height then I'll know its time to move up again. :)

Good luck with your form work! :)

Thank you ma'am! Right back atcha! :flowerforyou:

I'll keep your comment about core engagement in mind tomorrow as a-squatting I shall go for my Saturday lift session. :smile:
  • newjourney2015
    newjourney2015 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Bump. Still working on form and core strength before adding the bar and weight.
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I was doing front squats for the longest time & only switched to back squat last week.

I lean a bit too forward on some reps despite my best intentions. My trainer said this is likely because I am tall (5'7"). He said working on flexibility in the hips should correct that.

I also try to look up at a dot near the ceiling to encourage myself to keep my head up & stop my upperbody from leaning forward too much. I press my shoulder blades together.

I don't do butt winking anymore, but to be honest it felt more comfortable. Right now I curve my back in to avoid that but it hurts my lower back :/ But maybe I just need to get stronger there.
  • All_Out_Attack
    Options
    Make sure you have the bar low enough on your back. It was recently pointed out to me that under heavier loads, I tend to try to get my shoulders under it. That pushes my chest down, and I lean forward towards my toes and off my heels.

Absolutely get your form right before progressing your weights. Bad form now will be bad form and injuries later.
  • hiimanupa
    Options
    Make sure you have the bar low enough on your back. It was recently pointed out to me that under heavier loads, I tend to try to get my shoulders under it. That pushes my chest down, and I lean forward towards my toes and off my heels.

Absolutely get your form right before progressing your weights. Bad form now will be bad form and injuries later.

:-) Thanks... I'll try placing the bar lower on my back, and definitely try to get better form before progressing further.

Btw, your avatar is hilarious.