Online Tabletop RPGs?

Options
Hey everyone,

I've been discussing this topic with a friend of mine more and more lately, and recently we've decided to give online DnD a shot. I was just wondering if anyone would be interested in a game of DnD played over Google+, likely with an online tabletop platform like MapTools. Not sure if there is a topic for this already or not, but I couldn't find one. Anyone interested?!

Replies

• Khisalandra
    Khisalandra Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    OMG I've been going insane needing a fix. I haven't played a game since my last GM moved out of the area and my group fell apart. I've never played online before, but I'd love to give it a shot. What ed are you looking at?
  • embracethefall
    Options
    Nice! Someone answered, hehe. Things are still very early in planning. We especially need a DM. I have prospects of about 4-5 players already.
  • SneakyBat
    SneakyBat Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My better half would most likely be interested! He's currently DM'ing a tabletop Pathfinder game in a homebrew setting. I'm sure he'd love to give online DnD a shot. Only possible problem is that we're UK based.. He has a profile on here so I'll point him in your direction anyway :smile:
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    My hubby might be interested too... He plays in the conference room with his buddies once a week but he spends every night looking at D&D stuff so I don't think he is getting his fix at work.
  • embracethefall
    Options
    That's great! Send them my way! We are REALLY looking hard for a good DM at this point. We have 3 solid, experienced players guaranteed to show at this point, with a possible 1-2 more in the works. All we need to get going is someone experienced in running games.

Also, Sneaky, not sure whether it would be an issue or not, honestly. One of our players is west coast, and myself and the other are east coast, US. However all three of us have pretty open schedules at the moment, and I don't see why any of us would be unwilling to work something out if at all possible. Have him contact me, or just let me know here, either works. =]

P.S. Your profile is absolutely EPIC, haha!! *Weasels*
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    Pointing my SO in your direction.
  • Alzeric
    Options
    Hay Brian my lord and master sent me to this thread.

I am new to MFP and so far honestly I am not doing that great but I struggle on. I am however a avid D&D fan and have been a perpetual DM for a few years at the local shops.

In reference to your online question I would refer you to RPG table online

http://www.rpgtableonline.com/campaigns.php

This is the beta program supported (in part) by WotC and puts a good collection of game tools in one software that all players can share.

It even lets you import your toons from the Character Builder.

I have much more experience with true tabletop then this mode but I think this will be the next big thing for gamers like us. I hope this helps you and your crew get rolling and if I can help you get the game started I would be happy too. (you said you were looking for a DM?) but even if you could use a player to help round things out I would be interested.

Either way good luck on making something happen, True RPGers are a rare breed and need to support each other as can.

Jeff
  • JPalp
    JPalp Posts: 2
    Options
    Hello, I'm SneakyBats other half.

I'm currently running a Pathfinder game (if you're not familiar with Pathfinder...where the hell have you been?) in my own homebrew setting (the aim of which was a back to basics old school setting along the lines of the old D&D and AD&D adventures, without all the MMO and anime influences).
    I've not run a third edition D&D game for ages, but its like riding a bike (with all the dice rolling and paper) so it shouldn't be an issue, I have loads of the WOTC books.

I would certainly entertain the concept of running a game online, and it's something I have been interested in trying for a while.

A friend of mine from my original group moved away and it would be a good way to keep gaming with him as well.
    I have an obsidian portal account and have started a wiki detailing the world and houserules etc.

I'm not familiar with map tools, but I've heard the name, is it free?

Here is a link to my unfinished wiki for the setting for those who may be interested...

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/heroes-of-une/wikis/main-page
  • Rivmage
    Rivmage Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I would be interested in joining in the game as well.

Scott
  • Alzeric
    Options
    Map Tools is a free software that allows multiple people share a map created with tiles so all can see the same map and interact with it at same time. This is great in concept however it is fanboy created and has the draw back of little support, complicated workings, and requires all involved to understand the software and then run it along with a media app like skype to communicate.

Not something most groups can deal with.

The software I suggested fixes most those issues with good interface and a all-in-one combo however it is one of them "play the newb version for free but you have to pay to really get the good stuff" type software.

Again not something most groups can deal with.

So as far as I can tell unless you use the most basic of maps you are looking at hard work herding cats or hard work getting D&D players to pay cash, both of which is the reason these software are taking forever to get into main public use.

At least us RPGers are creative and imaginative and when you get a few of us together ways will be found to get what they want.
  • embracethefall
    Options
    Sent you a message and a friend request, Alzeric.
  • embracethefall
    Options
    Still in search of a DM, any late comers want to throw in their hat?
  • embracethefall
    Options
    Bumper.
  • WAHughes
    WAHughes Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I would be interested if this is still going on.
  • i_dont_want_2_be_fat_anymore
    Options
    What version of DnD are you considering playing?