Help with gluten...

Options
Hi Everyone,

I've been having some tummy trouble lately, and I've been wondering if it is caused by the glutens that I eat. I've been thinking of going completely gluten free to see if that helps with some of the problems I'm having. I already eat some items that are gluten free, so I've gotten a head start on the game. I have a few questions for all of you that do stay gluten free. How do you manage to keep this lifestyle when around others who don't choose it? What are some gf items that you enjoy the most? Do you have any recipes that taste amazingly delicious? How long should I try being gluten free till I'm certain that is what is causing my tummy problems? Any advice and tips are greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Jeannie101010
    Jeannie101010 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My Dr told me 2 weeks to get it out of your system, 3 weeks to start seeing improvement. At the end of the third week, he had me eat gluten to test it. I am not celiac (been tested years ago) so I didn't get sick, but I could feel a difference the next day. I am now gluten free all the time, except I allow myself a "treat" (I won't call it a cheat...lol) once a month. Also, if you aren't taking a probiotic everyday, I'd try that first.....they REALLY help!
  • Fit_And_Heathy_Goalie
    Options
    I started to feel better within a week of going gluten-free (although I do still enjoy some Ezekiel bread products in moderation). Another source of your tummy issues may be dairy products. I switched from dairy to almond milk, coconut milk, coconut creamer, and coconut yogurt. You may want to Google "JJ Virgin" for more background on food sensetivities. I've never felt better since I made some fundamental food changes in my diet. There are many website with gluten free recipes and magazines. Eating Well.com has a gluten free section with many recipes. I also shop at Trader Joes and Whole Foods where you can find lots of great GF, Dairy Free and Soy Free products. It's actually not too hard to go gluten free. Feel free to check out my food diary if it helps.
  • SailorSarah311
    SailorSarah311 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I do not drink cow's milk anymore, so I have swapped that out for soy milk. I tried a probiotic one time, and things didn't feel normal after taking it. I guess I'll just try cutting out glutens for a couple weeks. I go to the doctor soon, so I'll have time to try some of these ideas out. If nothing changes by then I will talk to her about my options. Thanks everyone.
  • hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I've been having some tummy trouble lately, and I've been wondering if it is caused by the glutens that I eat. I've been thinking of going completely gluten free to see if that helps with some of the problems I'm having. I already eat some items that are gluten free, so I've gotten a head start on the game. I have a few questions for all of you that do stay gluten free. How do you manage to keep this lifestyle when around others who don't choose it? What are some gf items that you enjoy the most? Do you have any recipes that taste amazingly delicious? How long should I try being gluten free till I'm certain that is what is causing my tummy problems? Any advice and tips are greatly appreciated.

Make sure you give it at least 3 weeks before adding it back in, but you have to do it 100%. You can't have a few nibbles of something here, or a few crackers there, it will mess up your results. And make sure to read every label, gluten can hide in some pretty silly places. Like Rice Crispies cereal, gravy mixes, spices, pre-made icing, licorice etc.

As for keeping the lifestyle when others don't, you just have to do it. I have Celiacs, so I don't have a choice. The tiniest bit makes me sick. I keep protein bars or trail mix, whatever, in my purse in case we end up somewhere I can't eat. I plan out restaurant meals (though we almost never go out) we know what foods are "safe" to grab off the shelf at the grocery store for quick eating, I google anything I'm unsure of, and I make everything myself if possible. With a few exceptions, we buy almost nothing pre-made.

As for foods, we try to eat naturally gluten free foods. Fruits, veggies and meats. We try to follow a paleo diet, since in our family we have allergies to soy, dairy, peanuts and tree nuts as well as being gluten free. The only "GF" foods we buy are rice bread/crackers/cakes and my kids eat GF rice cereal.
  • SwimSoccerTaxi
    SwimSoccerTaxi Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm in the process of omitting it from my diet to determine if I have an intolerance (blood tests showed I'm not Celiac). My doctor stated a full 6 weeks of no gluten products (and research confirmed the gluten molecules can remain in your digestive system for 6 weeks) then we would challenge my system to see the reaction to the gluten. Good luck!!!!
  • cnelson1974
    cnelson1974 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I use this to help finding hidden ingredients. The one I just discovered was 'crisp rice'. Who thought rice would be evil?

http://www.celiac.com/articles/182/1/Unsafe-Gluten-Free-Food-List-Unsafe-Ingredients/Page1.html
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Don't forget, sometimes they do make stuff like Rice Crisp that are gluten free. It depends on where they source their food. Peanut allergies could easily occur if someone is trying a product with nuts. I wouldn't immediately assume an allergy if it says gluten free. There can be other allergies. I would test the product out and start looking at other items if you react to something that says gluten free. I'm allergic to MSG and also corn and quinoa. There are tons of gluten free products that use Quinoa and it's been found that it also reacts like wheat in some people and has no gluten. Basically, I wish it were cut and dry but everyone is a little different.

Monica