Soreness.

Options
I'm sure this has been discussed but I REALLY don't want to search through all of the pages.

I just finished my second workout of stronglifts yesterday and today I am really sore.
Like barely able to sit down or get back up sore.

I'm just curious when you guys started to notice that you stopped getting sore,
if ever. I have day 3 tomorrow and I would love to be able to see the light at
the end of the tunnel. (:

Thanks.

Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I don't recall actually - 2-3 sessions for me? But I started at a 'light' amount for me. If you started 'heavy' for your body it might take a little longer.
  • CloverCreeper
    CloverCreeper Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I don't recall actually - 2-3 sessions for me? But I started at a 'light' amount for me. If you started 'heavy' for your body it might take a little longer.

I started with the empty barbell.
    Thanks for the input. (:
  • CloverCreeper
    Options
    Any other input?
  • annemama
    annemama Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Yes, my first week I was Super sore. I took an extra rest day between workouts because there was NO way I could have done squats that sore. So I rested two or even three days in between. After about three workouts this way, the muscle repair didn't take so long and I was able to go to 3 days a week as recommended. Don't try to lift when you are that sore. Honestly you will only be disappointed. And your muscles need to fully recover. So I would suggest that you just add in extra rest until the recovery time shortens enough to follow your schedule. Stretching during recovery seems to help as well.
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I drank protein drinks and took hot epsom salt baths after workouts,.... I slept better and the soreness that came the day after working out was gone before my next workout ( worked out every other day)
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Yes I was so sore I could hardly sit down, it lasted about 4 days, I rested that whole 4 days. Since restarting I have not been sore like that again. Your body will get used to it.
  • CloverCreeper
    Options
    Thanks guys. I need to pick up some epsom salt. (:
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    Yoga helps too.
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I started with 55lbs but I didn't get sore because it wasn't that challenging for me (I was already doing crossfit & working with weights). I think I got slightly sore in my arms from bench press, but nothing crazy. What really made me sore was when I finished my 2nd week, my front squat was at 85lbs. I got sick & had to take a week off. Then when I went back, I did the same weights I had left off with and the next day my thighs were SO SORE!

My advice is to try not to miss a workout, even if you are very sore. Sometimes I show up to the gym feeling sore, tight & cold but once I do a 3-5min jog, I feel a lot better. If you still don't feel up to par, just do a bit less weight than intended. Average workout is better than none at all! Sometimes muscles take longer to recover, especially if the last workout was very taxing. One time I did 90lbs in front squat & was feeling pretty good about myself, but then 2 days later 90lbs felt so difficult so I bumped it down to 85lbs for that day. The next workout, I was able to do the 90lbs again :)
  • jesspi68
    jesspi68 Posts: 292
    Options
    When I was lifting I found that protein shortly after (within 30 minutes or so) a workout was the real key to reducing my soreness the next day.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    The first week was brutal for me.

The second week was far better, especially after I got a foam roller that I'm using immediately after workouts. So if you don't have a foam roller, get one!

I also do yoga for 20 minutes before lifting to make sure I'm stretched through and my muscles are warm.

I'm in my 3rd week now, and aside from some mild soreness I'm good to go. Your body will adapt. I'm still lifting the empty bar mostly (45 lbs) and just today added 5 lb to my squats. I deadlift 95 (started with the empty bar on some crates). I'm going at it slowly, focusing on form, and it seems to be working out well for me.

I usually drink a cup of kefir before a workout and eat a decent meal after a workout.

Hang in there, it does get better!
  • KillA_Beezy
    KillA_Beezy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I experience DOMS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_onset_muscle_soreness) for about 12-24 hours after my workouts, I have been on SL for about a month. I am on a deficit to lose weight which I have heard can contribute to DOMS. It is nowhere near as bad as it was at first but I am generally always sore from my workouts.
  • bakerseve17
    Options
    I'm not an expert but I asked my friend the same question because i was incredibly sore, I pushed myself so hard i couldnt even move around in bed! He said best way to help ease the soreness was to drink protein shakes, it feeds the muscle! & yes epsom bath salts!
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere a teaspoon of bicarb soda in a glass really helps prevent DOMS. I will look it up and report back.
  • sheleen302
    sheleen302 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Someone else said a foam roller helps, and I have to second that. I had DOMS pretty bad for at least the first couple of weeks. I still get it when I take a long break and lift again. I just make sure I use the roller after every session, and I mean every session, and I make sure I warm up properly, and stretch AFTER not before lifting. Every tiime. It works.