Failed all 5x5 last time, this time fewer at same weight

Options
For me this was OHPs but I am guessing the info would be relevant to any lift.

As the title states last time I did them at 65lbs I was able to lift 4, 4, 3, 5, 4 and today at 65lbs I was only able to do 3,3,3,2,2. As I was able to get my 5 in last time after the solid 5 minute waiting period I was taking 4-5 minutes between each set today as well. Has this happened to anyone else on a lift? I was able to complete 5x5 of my squats with the increased weight as well as 1x5 of my deadlift at the increased weight.

The truth of the matter is last night I drank some at a party and where I would normally get 7-8 hours of sleep the last few nights I have only had 4-6 each night. Is this the culprit?

Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    sleep could be a factor, for sure. It could also be that you're just hitting a natural stall (or more likely its a combination of the two). 65 would be a pretty normal number for a stall, for a woman, on the OHP.
  • KillA_Beezy
    KillA_Beezy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    So then with stalls it is not unusual to stall more the second time than the first?

Or is it kind of that I probably still wouldn't have completed the 5x5 this time but with better rest I may have performed more closely t last time. The OHPs are really hard, I'm not surprised to be stalling on them at all!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    So then with stalls it is not unusual to stall more the second time than the first?

Or is it kind of that I probably still wouldn't have completed the 5x5 this time but with better rest I may have performed more closely t last time. The OHPs are really hard, I'm not surprised to be stalling on them at all!

That would be unusual sort of, but its NOT unusual to have a bad day, and that's all it sounds like. I've had bad days where I couldn't even lift 90% of what I was lifting before, just not enough sleep, not enough water, not enough food, whatever it is, it just happens sometimes.
  • KillA_Beezy
    KillA_Beezy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks! That gives me some perspective. I was a bit discouraged until I started making this post and realized that my sleep had been pretty ****ty the last two nights so hopefully next time I will at least get back to what I got the first time at 65lbs.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I just had the same issue with my OHP. I am always struggling with them though. I got 10 hours of sleep last night so I have no excuse hehe :)