New Poll: Spouse/SO

Options
Just curious....is your husband/boyfriend overweight also? And if so, is he working with you to lose?

Replies

• Julie_Donahue
    Julie_Donahue Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    My husband is about 450 pounds. (Not sure since he is too heavy for our scale).

A few years ago, he lost about 60 pounds on WW (Online). But, like most of us, it came back (with friends!).

He is trying to eat healthy, but he isn't doing a specific plan, and he isn't logging it anywhere. He did have to add a notch to his belt. He can't exercise because it hurts to walk, between arthritis, fibromalgia, and a hip injury---just walking around Sam's Club hurts.

He does try to support me in my efforts.
  • storywebber
    storywebber Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yes, my husband is following the diabetes guidelines that I follow. He is not nearly as overweight as I am. Sometimes he doesn't like what I have cooked. Most of my cooking comes from the American Diabetes Asso. website.
  • antitek
    antitek Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    My husband is in the over 400 lb club to. He isn't following a diet plan but has started to pay more attention to what he is eating. I've also been asking him not to bring snacks in the living room while we are watching TV. Hard for me to stay out of that.
  • stephgas
    stephgas Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    i have the opposite - my husband is an ectomorph. it's nearly impossible for him to gain weight in traditional ways. which is ironic since i just can't keep the weight off! he has followed a strict regimen for about a year now and has gained 40 pounds. he has always encouraged me to eat healthier but never pressures me. now we're working on major changes to our diet together.
  • smurfaggie07
    Options
    My bf is 5'7 and about 205 pounds, so just a little overweight compared to me. He supports me now that I'm counting calories and trying to eat a little bit better, and doesn't complain too much about the veggies I make him eat.
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    My husband is 6'1 and 220. He's looking to lose about 20lbs. He tracks all his food and basically just eats larger portions than me (lucky fellow just has to copy my diary). He used to be a horrid cook, but I've taught him a lot of stuff and now he can whip up a mean egg white omelet. He is the best sous chef a gal could want--incredibly precise with measurements. When I started (42 days ago), I signed up for 7 5ks and I signed him up too. He trained with me for them and I'd be sprinting and dying and for him it was just a nice stroll--that kind of sucked. We agreed that for the last three, he would break off from me and start setting his own records. I did really appreciate him staying with me though--I felt really panicked walking/running in public at first.
  • Blakelynn3
    Blakelynn3 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    My husband is only about 20-30lbs overweight. He's not dieting or exercising but he eats the healthier dinners that I prepare without complaint because he is on board for me getting my health under control.
  • matti07
    matti07 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My sweetie is around 185 and 5'8", so all good. I do wish he's work out and conquer his beer belly -- he hasn't had a drink in 26+ years, so I'd love the evidence to leave. I'm thinking as he sees me go to the gym more, he will too.

All in all, not a big deal. He's absurdly healthy, from sugar to blood pressure. He gave his sister a kidney 18 years ago; at that doctors were very impressed with his health, even though he does little but pace (srsly. Like, constantly).
  • demilade
    demilade Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    My hubby is slender except for his little pot belly. He has given up beer and its slowly shrinking. He is enjoying me getting slimmer and is very supportive, he understands that if i want something sweet or fatty i can have it, becuase im good the rest of the time.
  • watchthis1970
    watchthis1970 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My hubby started with me the first of January. I started to watch what I ate and exercising a few days before the new year, but started here right after the new year. He started tracking 5 days after me. I have lost 18 from the start about 12 I think since I started tracking. He has lost 28 pounds on here, and has about 10- 15 pounds to go, depending on how much he feels he needs to lose, he really didn't think he would lose as much as fast as he has.

He has been a great support since we started this. We have been going to the YMCA three to four times per week. He has always eaten what ever I cook, but has been very helpful and supportive in measuring and weighing portions. He even talked me into a "walk" today, it is February in Iowa, 50 degrees with wind like you would not believe. Well our walk ended up being a walk/ run session, I didn't use my app on my phone as he started before I could get it pulled up, I used telephone pulls to gauge my distance of when to walk and run. Had it not been for him I would not have went out today due to the wind.
  • beckimj
    beckimj Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    My husband is 5'8" and about 250, so overweight, but not as overweight as me. He is supportive of my efforts, but isn't making a whole lot of strides on his own. He has lost about 10 pounds since November, so he is baby stepping. I am hoping he will find his motivation as I make progress with myself.
  • apittmanrn
    apittmanrn Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Josh is 6'5" and 295. He carries all his weight in his gut. When he's at home with me, he eats like me. He is a salesman for a plant company and lives 800 miles away from January-June. It is balls-to-the-wall, never a free minute manual labor 24/7 once it warms up a little. I have encouraged him to eat better, but...we'll see. :)
  • wowie69
    wowie69 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My husband is right along with me this time. In the past we've alternated it seems, this time, we're cohorts and it makes it much easier. We are trying new foods and making this fun. He's helped me more in the kitchen in the last 2 months than 23 years previously combined. We've both commented how right it finally feels, to do this together.
    He started at 6'5 and 360. He's now lost 39# (men and their speedy weight loss *sigh*) in the time it's taken me to lose 24.
    We're both proud of how far we've come but know it's truly a journey and we have to keep going. We have set short, mid and long term goals.
    He is on MFP also, and in the time we've been on, we've motivated 6 friends to get on too. It's kind of fun to have my family network, as well as my MFP friend network. It's so much easier to stay on task. AND ... It's actually kind of fun this time.
  • Sweetpickles99
    Options
    My husband is also heavy and trying to lose weight..we are trying to encourage each other...its nice to have each other on this journey.
  • kkgriggs
    kkgriggs Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Here in lies my dilemma. My spouse is overwieght like me and he believes he has no problem and that he is totally healthy. The doctor says he is fine. At least that is what he tells me after each visit. He is totally a meat and potatoes guy. His idea of a veggy is in a can. Fruit only if I hide it in a pie. We also have a 22 year oldl son with AS that lives with us and part of his eating issues are the look of food and the textures of food. So If it looks good he will at least try it. My spouse doesn't think I need to change anything about me...which I guess is nice. I really want to loose weight and I know that will not happen unless I change the way I cook and what we have to eat in the house. I don't have a lot of health issues, yet as i get older I can see more coming. He says he is supportive in my goals yet he has informed me that whatever I do ..."cannot involve chanignig his current way of eating". I guess this means I am on my own.
  • nitabean47
    nitabean47 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My husband has steadily gained weight since he got out of the Navy. None of his clothes fit anymore and when I tell he he tells me I am wrong. He drinks coffee from dawn to dark he skips all meals until 7pm then eats until 11. I have pointed out his ways nicely, not so nicely and still I get nothing. I would like to say he supports me but he don't and he cant until he gets himself under control. He knows I am struggling, he knows my life struggles and will still bring me home a donut. IDK why he is in such denial....he has a brother that is close to 500 lbs and it is in his genetics to be large....we both have to work hard to be healthy but he just wont do it. I am trying to find the motivation I had before we met when I was on track and doing great...also when I was 211lbs (now 254). I love him to death but I cant make him care about himself I have tried and it is exhausting.
  • antitek
    antitek Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I love him to death but I cant make him care about himself I have tried and it is exhausting.

I know where you are coming from. It has taken me years to get my husband on board with watching his eating. The only reason it worked is because one of his buddies has been on his butt about it. Perhaps a private conversation with one of his friends?
  • jenny3073
    jenny3073 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend was an overwieght kid but he seems to have grown out of it for the most part, he's 6'3 and around 240. He has diabetes type 1 and does pretty well controlling his meds and food. He loves pizza but says it's too many carbs for him so he only eats it maybe once a year now. He doesn't care for fast food and he likes veggies but I don't, so we never have them when we cook at home, except a salad. He gave up diet soda at home to support me in my efforts of eventually giving up all soda, but he still drinks it at work. He stands and moves boxes at work so he gets enough exercise. I know he wants to get a little more in shape so I was going to show him MFP and see if he'd be interested, not so much to lose but to just be more aware of his cals and maybe do a little weight lifting. He's very supportive of what I'm doing here and he knows it's the first time something is really working for me.