Organic? Quantity or quality?

Options
I saw somebody post the other day that organic food was too expensive.

I challenge us to consider how much fresh produce we throw out every month because we buy too much of it (I am SOOOO guilty!).

The same goes for meat: We eat too much of it in the first place, so why not buy better quality, but eat less?

Let's make better choices of both quantity and quality. If I have to choose between two pieces of fruit -- one sprayed with a poisonous liquid -- I’m going to choose the clean one. If I can get family-farm-raised meat where the animals are treated well until they are humanely prepared as food, versus the corporate slaughterhouses that torture the animals from birth to death, I will choose the family farm. Wouldn’t you?

We are what we eat, so while organic & family-farm-raised may be more expensive, it's not nearly as costly in the long run to our health and the health of our planet.

Replies

• pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    My thoughts exactly! Buy higher quality ! I would rather eat 6 ounces if salmon at lunch than a pound of fried fish fast food... And i agree 100% on reducing the amount of food one wastes, of which I have been guilty!
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I'm not convinced that the extra cost of organic is really worth it. From the information I've read, there may be a reason to buy certain foods organic - like grapes or berries, but other items like bananas don't need the organic label.

My meat intake is limited, but cost drives my purchases for most meat and fish. I cannot justify paying double for items that don't have a significant taste differential.
  • AliceNov2011
    AliceNov2011 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    It's about health & safety, not taste.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Sorry, But I'm still not convinced that non-organic foods are not safe.
  • AliceNov2011
    Options
    You either think eating pesticides is the same as not eating pesticides or you don't.
  • LisaKC
    LisaKC Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    The Environmental Working Group put together a list of what it calls the "Dirty Dozen," which includes produce items that are most likely to be contaminated. There is also the "Clean Fifteen" list, which includes produce that is least likely to be contaminated. If what I'm buying is on the Dirty Dozen list, I spend the money for organic. If it's on the Clean Fifteen list, I buy what's affordable and looks freshest. I am also eating far less meat, and have found that my grocery bill has decreased, even though I'm buying more organic than before. The trade-off in health is a no brainer. I'm not going to knowingly feed myself food that has been shown to be poisonous.

My husband is also quite a gardener, so he also grows some of what we eat, including some of the Dirty Dozen items (so we don't have to purchase them year round).
  • cbrooks1232
    cbrooks1232 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you want produce that tastes better, get it at a farmer's market or (even better) grow it yourself. Whether organic or conventional, mass farmed produce has to withstand the rigors of shipping, so it is selected on that basis. Foods that do not have to travel as far can be grown for taste. There is nothing better tasting than a home grown tomato in late July, just sliced on a plate, with a little salt and pepper. A-mazing.

Organic is important. The nutritional content of organic versus conventional might not be that different, but we need to quit pumping pesticides into our environment. Not only is it toxic to us, but it is also killing a great number of the beneficial insects that actually help our farmers grow our food. I am willing to pay a little extra to help encourage safe and sustainable farming practices. Even if it means I have to make small sacrifices in other areas of my life.
  • AliceNov2011
    Options
    ^^^Yes! Me, too.
  • Showmm
    Showmm Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Of course non-organic foods are safe to eat. We've been eating them for the past 50 years without keeling over dead.

I would also argue that there are plenty of "organic" methods of gardening that are still quite toxic and poisonous. For example, Bordeaux mixture, which is used to help stop and prevent potato and tomato blight, is considered organic. But it's made of copper sulphate and lime (the mineral, not the fruit).

However, is your average intensively-raised pork chop the best thing to eat? Probably not compared to organic, the chemicals and medicine used to keep that pig healthy is probably a lot stronger stuff than you would feel happy taking yourself as a human. Is it good for the environment (eg vegetable and grain pesticides that kill bees as well)? No.

So I still choose organic as much as I can. When making a budget choice, I go for organic milk and organic meat. We try to have at least one, if not two, main meals during the week meat-free. This means I'm not spending loads on organic meat for every day at least. The fruits and vegetables I try to buy in season, so that also helps reduce the cost if I buy organic.

If you want to know the Dirty Dozen and Clean Fifteen, here's the link where you can find both:

http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/
  • AliceNov2011
    Options
    Agree 100%. Thanks for the link!