new to group: busy lady w/ pcos...

Options
Hello everyone,

My name is Liz, I am 27 year who both works and goes to school full time. I was diagnosed with PCOS back in 2006 and being insulin resistant in 2011; and have ALWAYS struggled to loose weight. I am at 280 now (and have stayed here for a while), and would ideally like to loose 100 pounds. I can only get a period if I am on the pill, and I am currently on ocella (yaz). I have been this way since I was 12.
Doctors have told me to loose weight to get my pcos in order, and in the same breath tell me that it will be near impossible to loose weight. One doctor actually told me to go on a less than 500 calories a day diet; and to not come back until I loose a significant amount of weight.
I am on my feet 8 hours a day, I don't drink soda, I am doing my best to cut out breads, sugar and load up more on fruits and veggies.

So far, my only support system is my husband of 9 years; as no one can grasp the reason.
Lately I have been feeling more and more of this instinct to have a child, and I realize that I do have to try harder to loose weight, if I ever want to have a child. So here I am looking for a support system, giving me encouragement and ideas as to how to go about making a dent in my weight.

In order to make sure I am staying healthy, I take a variety of vitamins that have kept me healthy for all of 2012, I work out at the gym during school breaks but I do struggle during the semester. I try and watch what I eat, and take walks when I can.

Anyone have any ideas on what else I can do? Or share a success story?
Sorry if I rambled, thanks for your time!

Replies

• thatsingergirl
    thatsingergirl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a low carb diet? It sucks at first, but once your body adjusts it's much better and I've found it easier to lose weight. Also, please feel free to add me! I definitely can sympathize!
    There are tons of ladies on here with really good advice re: supplements and natural remedies that help a lot. It might help you to see if you can find an herbalist or naturopath who has lots of experience with PCOS and/or blood sugar disorders. Seeing a naturopath who took me off gluten & dairy really really made a huge impact on my health!
  • JanaMichelle
    JanaMichelle Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I work full time and go to school as well so I understand being so crazy, busy. One thing that I am trying right now is to get my heart rate up for 30 minutes each day and of course stay under my calories. I also eat carbs from time to time but I try to limit them as much as possible. I will weigh in for the first time on March 1, and I'll let you know how it is going. But that would be my recommendation: try to get your heart rate up by doing some kind of activity 30 minutes a day. Staying under my calorie count and being on my feet for multiple hours a day (I'm a teacher) was not enough for me.

Add me as a friend if you'd like!
  • Qfrump
    Qfrump Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I agree with these ladies, especially getting some physical activity for 30 minutes a day. Just take a stroll around the park or your neighborhood. It's a great way to relieve stress, as well. I was about to go for my daily walk in just a few minutes.
  • ranganayakee
    ranganayakee Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents,
    Low carb, High protein diet along with some form of exercise. Yoga also helps in regulating the hormones.