Anyone training for Broad Street?

Options
I've never been a runner before and recently started training for the broad street run. Just seeing if anyone out there is in the same "sneakers" as I am (see what I did there?).

Replies

• kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    I am in the lottery waiting for notification next week and am following a novice training program for a 1/2 marathon goal -- I'm hoping to get picked -- I originally had a goal to be able to comfortably run a 5K and I reached that goal toward the end of 2012 but have never run an organized race yet.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Not running Broad Street, but rather the Philly Triathlon. It's my understanding for Broad Street that you can still get in through charitable organizations. I am running the triathlon with Leukemia and Lynphoma Society's Team In Training. I believe there are still taking participants for both events, and it helps a great cause to boot! Good luck to you.
  • working_mommy
    Options
    Thanks! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I get picked in the lottery - it would be a major bummer if not. My mother in law was a trainer for team in training - it's a great program and they do a ton of good, maybe someday I will be up for that ;) I'm up to running 3 miles comfortably - I'm doing my first 4 mile run this weekend!
  • kjm3579
    Options
    Thanks! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I get picked in the lottery - it would be a major bummer if not. My mother in law was a trainer for team in training - it's a great program and they do a ton of good, maybe someday I will be up for that ;) I'm up to running 3 miles comfortably - I'm doing my first 4 mile run this weekend!

Sounds like your doing the same training I'm on -- just ran 3 miles and am scheduled for 4 on Sunday with cross-training on Sat. -- I've run 6 one time in the past and 4 & 5 a few times in the past but it was a long hard run each time.
  • kjm3579
    Options
    I was charged my registration fee on the credit card this morning so I guess you'll be seeing my flabby self running down Broad Street !!!
  • working_mommy
    Options
    I got in too!! I'm excited but now I'm also like "oh crap I really have to do this now". We still have almost 3 months left to train - we can do this!
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I also got into Broad Street. I wound up running it last year, 4 weeks after having surgery. It's really not a bad run, but you just have to watch as the road does get congested (mostly with walkers) and also, pot-holes that haven't been fixed from the winter prior to the run. I witnessed a few people go *kitten* over head from hitting a pot hole the wrong way with their shoe.

Congrats!
  • working_mommy
    Options
    Thanks! and wow, 4 weeks after surgery - that is impressive!
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I was also selected for the lottery!! I've been training for the Cherry Blossom 10-miler in DC (was thrilled to be selected in that lottery, too!) and I'm glad to have another race on my calendar to keep my training going. I have a tendency to be a VERY lazy runner! lol!
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I got in too!! I'm excited but now I'm also like "oh crap I really have to do this now". We still have almost 3 months left to train - we can do this!

Haha I got selected too and I had the same reaction! Still plenty of time to train. Good luck everyone!
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Thanks! and wow, 4 weeks after surgery - that is impressive!

haha. yeah and from gall bladder surgery! from losing a lot of weight in a very short amount of time!!