Cheese is not naturally orange

Cheese is not naturally orange. It's white. The orange is food coloring. Whose bright idea was that?

Replies

• monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    I don't know, but due to the evil villains who invented yellow dye, I haven't been able to convince my nephews and niece that it's the same as white American cheese. I despise dyes and don't get why they continue to use them! White cheese looks nice too.
  • AliceNov2011
    AliceNov2011 Posts: 471 Member
    Brie, camembert, provolone, swiss, feta, mozzerella, jack, gruyere, parmesan, havarti, bleu, asiago, cotija, romano, gouda, raclette, cheddar, chevre, edam, colby, fontina, gorgonzola, limberger, munster, queso blanco, on and on and on.

Cheese is white. American cheese isn't even cheese. It's manufactured from milk, whey, milkfat, milk protein concentrate, whey protein concentrate, and salt. In the United States, it can't even legally be sold as "cheese," but must be labeled as "processed cheese" or "cheese product" or something similar. Sometimes the word "cheese" isn't even on the label, i.e., "American slices" or "American singles."

If I had a child, they would never even know such things existed.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    I agree...but they aren't mine and my sisters aren't as into organic as I am. :(
  • Pinkiepreppie
    Pinkiepreppie Posts: 15 Member
    Wow. I had no idea. Thanks for sharing that information.
  • Kitsada
    Kitsada Posts: 105 Member
    I gave up the cheese battle long ago. Despite being exposed to all sorts of other cheeses... my kids want orange american cheese on their sandwiches... (Though the girl has recently decided she doesn't want cheese on her sandwich at all, I'm not sure whats wrong with her....lol.) I tried to convince them white american was the same, it was a no go.

Interestingly they'll eat cheddar/jack/mozzarella/goat, in all kinds of various cooked recipes, just not on a sandwich.

What really gave me chills was yesterday driving cart through Costco and my boy saw a box of pop tarts, and was like 'oh hey mom, can we get these??' I should have put it down for exercise for how fast I sprinted us away from there, pushing 180 pounds worth of children in the cart plus whatever I'd bought, ranting all the while... 'NO, ABSOLUTELY NOT, THAT IS NOT FOOD, NO NO NO'... like a crazy lady...

Fortunately my kids are used to it ;)
  • AliceNov2011
    AliceNov2011 Posts: 471 Member
    LOLOLOLOL!
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,159 Member
    So much of what we eat isn't food at all, better living through chemistry and factory manipulations.

It is easy to tell just by reading the ingredient list......still tempting though, esp for children....i agree Kit, getting your kids away from the pop tarts was a "burn".
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    cheetohs, american cheese, cheese in a can, wow there are lots of orange cheeses. Hubby and i cannot ever give up american cheese. i will try the white one next on his cauliflower un-mac and cheese that i make him but i am unsure he will eat it if there's nothing orange to cover up the offending cauliflower.
  • Kitsada
    Kitsada Posts: 105 Member
    Cheddar is orange, and damn tastier than american.... ;)
  • Brie4me
    Brie4me Posts: 238
    I :heart: cheese! I prefer white, but, I've heard the orange tinting has a bit of a history. Basically, what this article says:

http://cheeseunderground.blogspot.com/2010/10/why-is-wisconsin-cheddar-orange.html

Hopefully, any orange cheeses these days are made by using the seeds from the annatto tree.