How is Milwaukee?

Options
I live in California currently but am looking at UWM for grad schools. I am nervous about the change and do not want to move to a dull town. (I am not social particularly- I work and go to school full time and try to gym it up with my free time) but I do like to be around lively cities to feel, well, alive).

How is it? Is there a lot of farmers markets? Is everyone happy? Is the downtown lively? Whats time crime like? Good neighborhoods? Lots of gyms? Grocery stores?

Replies

• Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    We live in the city and my husband is a firefighter/paramedic for the city of Milwaukee.

Yes, there are farmer's markets, gyms and lots of other things to do especially in the downtown/UWM area.

The summer is full of festivals and activities.
    I love the lakefront and parks.
    The change of seasons is beautiful.
    The winters can be very cold and snowy.

But, you need to do your homework and be aware of the neighborhood where you want to live.
    Some are nice, safe and friendly. Some are borderline. Some are bad.
    Milwaukee has a very violent inner city with drugs, murders, rapes and assaults.

Let me know if you want more specifics :smile:
  • kimleroy
    kimleroy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm a college student in Milwaukee (I go to Marquette), and I have to say, I do love it here! Definitely lots to do, endless concerts, clubs, etc. Lots of festivals in the summer for sure! Plenty of gyms and grocery stores, I know there's a Whole Foods right by UWM's campus. Summer to fall there's certainly farmers markets and the like. There's always something going on here. Like any big city though, there is a decent amount of crime, so you just always have to stay alert, especially at night. Weather might be a little bit of an adjustment for you; the winters can get pretty brutal if you're not used to them. A heavy winter coat is a must! Good luck deciding where to go!
    Also-- if you're living near UWM you'll be in a better neighborhood in terms of crime, activities that interest you, etc since its mostly students there. That's a good group to surround yourself with. There certainly are "bad" neighborhoods, but if you avoid them, you'll avoid most of the crime.
  • shelbiiii
    Options
    Thank you both soo much! I really appreciate this! Any areas that come to mind that i should totally avoid when searching for an apartment/home?
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Thank you both soo much! I really appreciate this! Any areas that come to mind that i should totally avoid when searching for an apartment/home?

Well. if you're looking to be around UWM, I would stay within a six block radius of the campus with your best bet going east towards the lake and no further west than the river (serious ghetto that way).
    Not sure what you are looking for or what your budget is.
    The area is filled with old, historic homes and apartment buidlings.
    It definitely has a college feel to it with coffee houses, small cafes and a ton of nightlife around North Ave.
    You could look to rent an apartment or flat with other students.
    The homes may be a bit pricey.
    Hope this helps:smile: