Excuses

Options
JanieJack
JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
When I go to work, I take two workout outfits: CrossFit clothes for lunchtime and running clothes for after work. Yesterday I went to CrossFit and discovered I'd forgotten to pack my CrossFit clothes. All I had was my running gear. I really didn't want to do CrossFit in my running gear, but decided to anyway.

Burpees in running skirt...NOT fun.

Unfortunately, I'm not thin and toned enough for it to be a good view at all. The embarrassment of guys waiting for the next round to start coming over by me to get a closer look and then going "ewww" and walking away, or people talking about cellulite almost made me give up, but I'm determined not to let any excuse get in the way of what's working for me.

I've just noticed lately every day there's another "oops" like that that could be an excuse not to workout... yesterday forgot my CrossFit clothes. Last workout I forgot my wristbands. Before that, I was worried about a last minute meeting scheduled close to CrossFit time (only 7 minutes workout but my mind kept thinking it would take me over 30 min).

Just want to encourage everyone (like I am encouraging myself) not to give into any excuses and to just go do it!

Replies

• littlehokie
    Options
    You shouldn't worry about what they think about you, most people are too busy focusing on not dying to notice if you have a little cellulite. I love my running skirts but will only wear them for certain WODS.
  • littlehokie
    Options
    Oh and great job not letting those excuses stop you!! I felt like a wuss not going today but I'm full on sick with the worst cold I've ever had.
  • cbarn025
    cbarn025 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I'm suprised the coaches allow that kind of behavior. That's the first time I've ever heard about anything like that happening at a CrossFit box.
  • happyheathen927
    happyheathen927 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    That kind of rudeness would have just crushed me. I have enough body image issues without having to listen to that crap while trying to make myself better. Good for you for hanging in there.
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    NOBODY would have behaved like that at my box. Good for you sticking through it, but I'd still consider switching boxes because those aren't the kind of people who will ever notice when you make progress, or even be supportive of your journey.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I'm suprised the coaches allow that kind of behavior. That's the first time I've ever heard about anything like that happening at a CrossFit box.

Well, we're a unique situation...this is a military group, and the early class boasts a lot of young marines who are all about the male-ego cut-down. I usually work out with a later (and more mature) class that's muchmore supportive and encouraging, but this time I needed to workout early.

The first time someone in the early class was rude to me it really did crush me, and though I finished the workout I did so in tears (which was VERY embarrasing for me as a new troop on station). So now I try not to take it personally. In their world, it motivates them I guess.
  • KellyL23
    KellyL23 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I forgot my pants one time, and my coach gave me her short-shorts just so i didnt miss the workout. Holy cow it was almost like working out in undies. but I did it! :-)
  • dirtybadgermtb
    dirtybadgermtb Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    My excuse is that I hate WOD'ing solo. I don't mind the lifting bit alone but I have to coach the 6 am class and work out alone at 7 am. I found myself doing nothing but working on my strengths and ignoring my weaknesses. This week was a change though. I committed to doing whatever popped up on the daily blog. It was a very rewarding week but some workout partners would have made it so much sweeter.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    That sux - I would have been mortified! Good on you for not letting it get to you but maybe you should have a CF bag stashed in your car with the essentials just in case.
  • Sasquatchrider
    Sasquatchrider Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    *kitten* THEM! Seriously, that type of behavior shouldn't be condoned in a box. I've done more than one WOD barefoot. Good for you for not allowing excuses. We act like there is no possible way people worked out before specialty clothing and synthetic fibers. Just this morning I went to a friends house to work on Deadlift and clean technique. I wore jeans because it was cold and I knew my shins and thighs were going to take a beating.