worried about rapid weight gain

Options
rockerbabyy
rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
Hi guys :-) have a quick question ..im 5'6, 28y/o, prepreg weight 230, current weight 253..
Im a little over 34 weeks along and as of my dr appt last week, ive gained 20lbs..which was up 3 lbs from two weeks prior. When i weighed myself at home yesteday, im already up 3 lbs. I havent changed my calorie intake, according to my BMF and MFP i average about 2700/day. Last week i had a 32 cal surplus and the week before i had 200 cal surplus. I undrstand that i need to gain and that metabolisms can change while pregnant, but it seems something is off somewhere lol ive had my settings on maintain for a while but havent really managed to do it. My dr is happy with my gains so far but id hate to gain too much in the last month and a half...i gained huge amounts of weight in my first two pregnances and would like to avoid going over 25 lbs gained this time..should i stick with 2700 for now and risk being up 6 lbs in two weeks by my apt next week, or should i lower my cals a bit now (to maybe 2400?). Either way ill be talking to my dr about it, but dont feel it warrants a call to the office - id rather just wait til my appt

Edited to add:
I have been tracking my food on a separate accout, PreggoRocker..so thats why my diary looks so empty lol
Also not entirely sure on my surplus/deficit since mfp and bmf numbers are different for some reason

Replies

• rosy003
    rosy003 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    All you can do is your best. It sounds like you're not doing anything differently that would cause extra gain, so maybe this is just what your body wants to do. I also would not compare your home scale to your dr's scale- especially since you are weighing yourself at different times of the day. You're in the home stretch! Don't let this stress you out too much.
  • jarirhea
    jarirhea Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm 34 weeks and went to the doctor yesterday. I am 8 pounds up from my last appointment two weeks ago! My eating patterns haven't changed, although I didn't log my calories very good the past week, but I didn't eat TERRIBLE and surely not enough for 8 pounds in two weeks. I told her at my next appointment I'm gonna try and not gain any weight or maybe a pound at the most. It's so cold to walk outside right now and my pelvic area hurts so bad that sometimes I can't walk or stand for very long. I'm just gonna stay strict with logging and drink lots of water
  • acampbe2umd
    acampbe2umd Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    All you can do is your best. It sounds like you're not doing anything differently that would cause extra gain, so maybe this is just what your body wants to do. I also would not compare your home scale to your dr's scale- especially since you are weighing yourself at different times of the day. You're in the home stretch! Don't let this stress you out too much.

Definitely this!! Don't stress, you're so close. Have you tried one of those pregnancy calorie calculators instead of using maintenance to find out your number of target calories? I have my profile set to maintenance as well, but I manually entered in my maintenance calories based on a pregnancy calculator that I used and then I also custom set up my macros. If you're worried about weight, the one thing you can do is track your sodium and not worry so much about calories right now. Even the slightest bit of sodium really impacts me right now (36w for me) so I try to focus more on that then on calories some days.
  • schelly81
    schelly81 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    At 30 weeks it could be water retention. I retained an insane amount of water in my last trimester last pregnancy. Are your fingers and ankles really swollen? Are you drinking enough liquids?
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options

Definitely this!! Don't stress, you're so close. Have you tried one of those pregnancy calorie calculators instead of using maintenance to find out your number of target calories? I have my profile set to maintenance as well, but I manually entered in my maintenance calories based on a pregnancy calculator that I used and then I also custom set up my macros. If you're worried about weight, the one thing you can do is track your sodium and not worry so much about calories right now. Even the slightest bit of sodium really impacts me right now (36w for me) so I try to focus more on that then on calories some days.
    i havent used a pregnancy calorie calculator, i was just going by my pre-pregnancy TDEE i think..but ill look into that.
    At 30 weeks it could be water retention. I retained an insane amount of water in my last trimester last pregnancy. Are your fingers and ankles really swollen? Are you drinking enough liquids?
    i havent had problems with swelling, but i have been kind of slacking on my liquid intake. ive never really watched my sodium before because it hasnt been an issue with my blood pressure, but i know i regularly am over 2500..sometimes by more than double. ill try to watch that from now on and work on more water/etc.

thanks so much guys!
    i was also wondering if it made a difference that ive been netting 2700, not just eating that much. according to my BMF i burn 2100-3100 a day depending on activity so thats just what i figured id eat to maintain lol it seems kinda silly typing it out now, but im just being a worry wort heh