Day 5 _ what do you usually binge on? trigger foods?

Options
Day 5: What do you usually binge on? Do you have certain trigger foods?

Honestly, and ashamedly, I would binge on anything!

My trigger foods would be anything that were quick to get my hands on, and took no preparation, like choclate, biscuits, bread...
I think part of their attraction was that it was such quick, easy food, that I could eat it before there was time to think about what I was doing.
But once I'd had the food in my mouth, I wouldn't want to stop eating. It would be 1 or 2 in the morning and I'd be cooking family size portions of spaghetti bolognaise! And I'd eat it all too.
I remember times, not too long ago, when my stomach and jaw would be hurting from excessive eating in such a short period of time, but still I wouldn't stop eating.
Of course it was physically possible for me to stop, but it was as though my mind wouldn't let me.

Replies

• rougecrayon
    Options
    CHIPS!

Once I've started on chips, I can just go and go and go.

Sometimes it's healthy foods like cucumber, carrots, peppers, etc. Sometimes its... well, not.
  • GreenLaura22
    GreenLaura22 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I binge on anything that is readily available. Anything I can get into quickly so I don't get caught.
  • daggoneit
    daggoneit Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I binge on everything...
  • Tina2Cats
    Tina2Cats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Day 5: What do you usually binge on? Do you have certain trigger foods?

I binge on whatever is available, but mainly, chips, cookies and breads. Once I get going, I cannot seem to stop myself.
  • star_sprite
    star_sprite Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have recently been having 'go to' items - and it has been whole bags of cookies. Sugary things. And how come I don't feel full after I consume so many calories? It is a scary feeling.
  • fightininggirl
    fightininggirl Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    this!
    I binge on anything that is readily available. Anything I can get into quickly so I don't get caught.
  • stackah
    stackah Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I binge usually on chips or anything that's salty and crunchy. I also like cheese.
  • FluffyDogsRule
    FluffyDogsRule Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    my main trigger foods are chocolate, salty snacks (goldfish and pretzels especially), and soft gooey bread. if i eat soft gooey yummy delicious bread then i crave bad stuff for the rest of the day. it is not worth it!!! and i LOVE to alternate between sweet and salty...that's what i do when i binge. just go back and forth.

i'd say it would be easy to just not buy these foods, but my husband and children have self-control so they don't deserve to never get to enjoy these foods. it's my problem so i need to learn to either NOT eat them or to eat them in normal amounts like the rest of my family does. usually i can avoid them, but once i start...look out!! poor kids will have no snacks left! haha.

i think some people think it's strange and problematic to just avoid these foods (like we aren't "healed" if we can't eat them in moderation) but it's sort of like an alcoholic...they might never be able to have "just one" and maybe i'll never be able to have "just one". So i'm okay if it turns out that that's the way it has to be.
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    My trigger foods are chocolate, things like rolos, pb cups, kisses, m&ms, occasionally chips. I have this thing I call my shame stick (in place of eating a stick of butter) where I take a bowl of chocolate chips and a spoonful(s) right out of the jar of peanut butter and dip it in the chips and eat it. That's my all time fav mega calorie binge.

I know there is no way I can go without these foods long term, so I MUST find a way to coexist with them and have them in moderation. When I go without I do great for 2 weeks, then binge city, that's where I'm at now, gotta get outta that cycle, so I'm trying treats in moderation every day now, day 5, so far so good.

Edited BC I had to add cheese as a trigger, love me some cheddar
  • FluffyDogsRule
    Options
    "bowl of chocolate chips and a spoonful(s) right out of the jar of peanut butter and dip it in the chips and eat it."

i'm really glad i never thought of that. that sounds amazing.
  • TheCrunchyChemist
    Options
    I will binge on ANYTHING, especially high calorie foods! One thing I have noticed in the past is that it is EXTREMELY hard for me to binge on produce. I is as if the produce turns of the bingeing switch in my mind. I just do not have the desire to do it, and I love produce more than any other food.
  • viktorijandz
    viktorijandz Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I usually binge on biscuits and chocolate. As a teenager, I used to eat a lot of chocolate. Especially white and milk. A bar of chocolate daily was usual thing for me. Today I have eaten a pot of ice cream. I haven't had ice cream for a very long time now and I'm quite proud of myself I managed to buy a small pot (150ml) of ice cream, not a massive box of 2 litres which definitely would have been eaten at one time. I feel a bit angry right now because I'd really love to have more ice cream but I have a glass of water by my side so I think this feeling will be gone soon. :)
  • Thelxinoe
    Thelxinoe Posts: 32
    Options
    My trigger is chocolate. Or any chocolaty sweets, really. Even today I was going to have two-three pieces, and I ended up eating at least four. I do feel bad, but at least I didn't eat the whole bar in one sitting, which has happened in the past. I'm determined to lay off the sweets for the rest of the day and I know I'll stick to it now that you all hold me accountable. :-)
  • supernatural234
    Options
    I have this weird fascination with PB&J sandwiches and I guess you could say that the Smucker's Uncrustables are pretty triggering for me. However, it doesn't usually work this way for me and I can binge on anything... What triggers a binge is when I am stressed out, mad, upset, etc. It usually happens like I eat a cookie or something and then since I am already so stressed out for whatever reason, it makes me extremely upset to know that I messed up my eating as well and it leads to a binge attack. After that I go completely wild and eat the entire house! It's a horrible cycle when you are upset about eating which makes you stress eat more and more and more....

I am on day 5! I really am happy because yesterday I was super stressed out and I wanted a girl scout cookie so bad... lol so I had one but I managed to not binge and sit with the discomfort of stress and not bingeing and I made it through the whole day. :D SUPER proud, as this used to be very challenging for me to overcome.
  • sarah12277
    sarah12277 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Usually carbs of some sort or sugar - cakes, cookies, pasta, cheesecake, chocolate, ice cream

Trigger foods usually cake or ice cream, but depends on what emotional state I'm in. There are days that I can moderate but if they're still in the house when my mood switches they're cleaned out. Other things like popcorn or chips could be included but aren't the go to's
  • melsy78
    melsy78 Posts: 65
    Options
    Chips and dip if they are available, I have a hard time only eating a handful - normally it turns into a bagful of chips and at least half a pottle of dip!!!
    And any bread products, like custard twists, chelsea buns, fresh bread with butter ....
    Sweet things i can easily stop at a couple but savoury is my weakness.
  • FluffyDogsRule
    Options
    chocolate!!!!! and my kids' snacks...goldfish, bunny crackers, etc. ugh. i love to go back and forth between sweet and salty. yumm!! hahaha....i mean yuck. :)

oh, and any cereal that's not totally boring...which is why i can ONLY keep kashi go lean (the most boring kashi there is) and plain cheerios in the house. my husband loves cinnamon life...sorry honey!!! i will eat it all in 2 nights. :)