Day 7 _ specific times you have trouble avoiding a binge?

Options
Day 7: Are there specific times of day that you have trouble avoiding a binge? How are you working around that now? (Congrats on making it one week!!)

I only ever binge at night, mainly because it's the only time there is no one else around to see me doing it.

I'm working on getting around it by planning myself an evening snack. I get to look forward to it during the day, so after I've had it, I feel satisfied. I've also been opting for foods that are healthy, but rich/sweet enough to please the old sweet tooth.

Replies

• Tina2Cats
    Tina2Cats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Day 7: Are there specific times of day that you have trouble avoiding a binge? How are you working around that now? (Congrats on making it one week!!)

Evenings and nighttime are/were my binge times. My hubby loves junk and I am constantly tempted. Tonight, instead of binging on a bunch of crappy chips, I drank a bunch of water and filled up on that. I told myself that those chips were crap that are not only high cals, but high in sodium. It worked. I stayed under my daily calories.:smile:
  • GreenLaura22
    GreenLaura22 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Night time is one of my tricky times too....however the worst for me is when I'm alone and upset. My son's 4th birthday party was yesterday and my husband made these really great home-made chocolate cupcakes. I had one at the party, it was so good! Well the point is at night, he had a bowl of ice cream with two cupcakes on top. At first I wanted to jump up and get one too. But I reminded myself that I did get to have one. And that it was great! I let the feelings of cupcake lust come up....recognized them....and then let the urge pass me by. Got through the day under my calorie goals!
  • fightininggirl
    fightininggirl Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    early afternoon like 1-2pm. I don't have any trouble in the mornings that is where I am busy getting my daughter ready for school

evenings I am busy with helping her with homework.

I try to do my work at home job during the time on my binge keep me busy
  • FluffyDogsRule
    FluffyDogsRule Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Night time is one of my tricky times too....however the worst for me is when I'm alone and upset. My son's 4th birthday party was yesterday and my husband made these really great home-made chocolate cupcakes. I had one at the party, it was so good! Well the point is at night, he had a bowl of ice cream with two cupcakes on top. At first I wanted to jump up and get one too. But I reminded myself that I did get to have one. And that it was great! I let the feelings of cupcake lust come up....recognized them....and then let the urge pass me by. Got through the day under my calorie goals!

good for you!! that's so awesome!!
  • FluffyDogsRule
    Options

Evenings and nighttime are/were my binge times. My hubby loves junk and I am constantly tempted. Tonight, instead of binging on a bunch of crappy chips, I drank a bunch of water and filled up on that. I told myself that those chips were crap that are not only high cals, but high in sodium. It worked. I stayed under my daily calories.:smile:

great job, tina!! i hope i can find that strength.
  • poma91
    poma91 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Late in the evening/night. I am the absolute night owl so everyday around when I go to bed or a bit earlier I start feeling soo hungry. And usually I cannot fall asleep on an empty stomach, since I have problem with it and it really aches. For the last 1 week or so I have been drinking a lot of water before I go to bed (which is also something not very good, but still) This actually worked for me and now I have less cravings :)
  • stackah
    stackah Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    During the workweek, it's in the evening. I can general portion out my food and eat sensibly while I'm at work, but once I get home, it's too easy to reach into the pantry or fridge and start aimlessly munching.

Also, the weekends. Because I'm not in a set routine, I usually overdo it on the weekend.
  • FluffyDogsRule
    Options
    evening. always evening. usually after dinner, but every once and a while before dinner. if it happens before dinner...look out...it's gonna be a doozy b/c once i start i only stop b/c i go to bed. so before dinner = looooooong binge.

and almost always when my routine has been thrown off...weekends, events that have changed my eating schedule (i sound like an animal, lol), and alcohol never helps.
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    My binges are usually in the evening after dinner. They last till bedtime. On Valentines day it started with brownies and candy at lunch, that started my most recent several day long binge.

I've come to the realization that I can have something sweet after lunch and dinner and some sort of a bedtime snack and still meet my calories
    IF
    I don't binge. I'm telling myself I can eat sweet things every day and meet my goals, I just have to keep the quantity reasonable, like one serving size. I also tell myself that of course I'll probably sometimes still want to eat more than my serving size, because, duh, it all tastes delicious, but, even though I want to, I'm not going to. That's actually how I quit smoking, not by trying to convince myself I didn't like cigarettes anymore, but by telling myself that of course I still still wanted to smoke, but I'm going to be a grown up adult and have some willpower, and just not do it, even though my dumb brain is trying to tell me I want to. I'm trying the same approach to this binging thing, yes I want to, but am I going to? NO!!!

And congrats to everyone who has made it a week!! That's awesome!! Keep it up!!!
  • Thelxinoe
    Thelxinoe Posts: 32
    Options
    For me, it's almost always night/evening. The worst is that I will be active and have filling, nutritious meals all day, only to break my resolve at the end of the day.
  • supernatural234
    Options
    I actually had a mini binge today unfortunately. Maybe I shouldn't call it a binge but I definitely scarfed down a whole lot of "bad" food. We had to give a big big presentation today and I was under a lot of stress ad there happened to be a buffet of delicious donuts muffins cakes eggs biscuits and gravy and bread... All kinds of crap that is easy to binge on. I had a large plateful and had some of everything but I was really hungry at least and I stopped myself from eating more so hopefully that counts as something. Usually i would still be binging on anything I could get my hands on but I'm not and haven't eaten since then. Maybe if I try I can just not have anything more and say I'm done for the day. Idk. Bleh. Oh well.
  • sarah12277
    sarah12277 Posts: 212 Member
    Options

Grocery shopping on a Friday after work was usually when I binged. There were so many good prepared foods at all the stores I liked going to. I've switched my shopping day to Thursdays and signed up for a produce pickup (csa) so I don't have to go to the grocery as often. Mostly keeping me out of the store has helped, but doesn't always stop my trips to Target any other day, but I've tried most things I've binged on so still less.

Also if I've gotten into that mood on a Saturday or Sunday, I've included extra exercise. usually it's helped to only want what would be covered by the calories burned, and nothing more.
  • melsy78
    melsy78 Posts: 65
    Options
    i have 2 times when I know I am in danger of binging.
    One is about 2:30 - 4:30 in the afternoons (long day with 3 kids/stress)
    the other is after dinner when I am "relaxing"
  • FluffyDogsRule
    Options
    On weekdays, after dinner. Weekends could be anytime from late afternoon through bedtime. If my routine is thrown off I'm in the most danger.
  • ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    I'm an evening binger for sure. Hungry when I get home from work or not quite satisfied with dinner. Maybe I've been too restrictive during the day. The 5 pm to bedtime range is definitely my tough time.