Has anyone tried going Vegetarian/Vegan to aid in PCOS?

Options
Hey all!

I recently just started a pescatarian lifestyle in the hopes of going vegan to raw, or as raw as I can, after researching and finding other women have successfully eliminated their symptoms by going vegan/raw. Now I don't think I can ever go fully raw, I like cooked food too much lol but I am going to try and get in as much raw veggies as I can.

Just curious if anyone else has seen women that have done this and have had success. It can be hard to wrap your head around because dr.'s have always said to do low carb, and most people automatically take it to eating alot of meat and protein, and oddly as of now, my protein has stayed around 100g or so, without the meat. And my carbs have been at a pretty good level, usually around 150 or so, but then having 40 or so grams of fiber brings me closer to 100, so technically it is considered low carb!

Would love to know if anyone else has seen this as a way to combat PCOS!!

Replies

• irishgrim
    Options
    Hey all!

I recently just started a pescatarian lifestyle in the hopes of going vegan to raw, or as raw as I can, after researching and finding other women have successfully eliminated their symptoms by going vegan/raw. Now I don't think I can ever go fully raw, I like cooked food too much lol but I am going to try and get in as much raw veggies as I can.

Just curious if anyone else has seen women that have done this and have had success. It can be hard to wrap your head around because dr.'s have always said to do low carb, and most people automatically take it to eating alot of meat and protein, and oddly as of now, my protein has stayed around 100g or so, without the meat. And my carbs have been at a pretty good level, usually around 150 or so, but then having 40 or so grams of fiber brings me closer to 100, so technically it is considered low carb!

Hey! I am living an alkaline diet which if you live it 100% is vegan.

I strive for a 85-90% day, meaning that I only take in one animal by-product a day. I also eat clean most of the time, which is helping.
  • JustRenea
    JustRenea Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I was a Vegetarian for about 6 months at one point...helped with the weight loss alot...but i missed me meat.
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Hey all!

I strive for a 85-90% day, meaning that I only take in one animal by-product a day. I also eat clean most of the time, which is helping.

Have you noticed any benefit with any of your symptoms? I have a problem with hair loss and obviously the weight issues, but I just started so not sure how long it takes! lol
  • pland54
    pland54 Posts: 132
    Options
    I haven't tried to go vegan, but I have really gotten into reading about hormones in foods. I think that aspect probably makes a big difference.

I certainly don't want to discourage you from making any changes that you want to to your diet, but on the point of not eating cooked food- I read a fascinating article recently all about a major shift in ancient humans, when their gut started getting smaller and their brain started getting bigger. It was a drastic shift, and it aligns perfectly with when humans began cooking their food! It gave some insight into the importance of eating cooked food.

Also, just be careful not to get too concerned about denying yourself lots of different types of food. If you enjoy researching and working with your diet, that's great, but I hope it's not a source of stress for you! Variety is the spice of life, and even if certain symptoms improved by only eating a few key foods, most people could benefit a lot by eating 'clean' and making sure they get a little of this and a little of that, whatever 'that' is.

Best of luck! Let us know if whatever changes you do make help you out :)
  • irishgrim
    Options
    Hey all!

Have you noticed any benefit with any of your symptoms? I have a problem with hair loss and obviously the weight issues, but I just started so not sure how long it takes! lol

Hey Bella Marie!

Well, yes, I've seen a difference and Ill tell you why. I was blessed with Aunt Flo on Oct. 10 and had to go to my gyno on Nov. 27 and still had Flo. Flo finally disappeared on Jan. 2, but has come back for more on Jan. 12.

So what've noticed in that time (from Nov. 27- now): I started "eating clean" about a week or two before Christmas. I didnt start immediately eating clean, as I was still trying to research how i was going to get the weight off. within 1 week of eating clean and cutting my animal byproducts, my blood felt cleaner running through my body. I attribute to the 3-4 weeks of eating this way to getting my hormones to stop my bleeding. I did start up again, but I'm going to have to see how this pans out.

The less hormones that I add into my body, the better I feel I function and healthier I feel.
  • LaChinaDoll
    LaChinaDoll Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    ME!!!! I have video on youtube on how I did it and the GREAT things it did for me. After my first baby I went crazy and busy. Which led me back to where I started! My husband said enough as he has seen my health go on a downward spiral! We are back to eating a vegetarian mostly vegan diet. Lots of raw food a least 50% of our plate. Juicing! I love it. I feel better already. I cannot believe I didn't stick to it I would not be where I am right now. Feel free to add me!
  • happierandstronger
    Options
    I was a Vegetarian for about 6 months at one point...helped with the weight loss alot...but i missed me meat.

After 14 months I was in the same situation except I was pescatarian!! The weight also seemed so much easier to loose then too ...
  • Healthgirl78
    Healthgirl78 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried to go vegan, but I have really gotten into reading about hormones in foods. I think that aspect probably makes a big difference.

I certainly don't want to discourage you from making any changes that you want to to your diet, but on the point of not eating cooked food- I read a fascinating article recently all about a major shift in ancient humans, when their gut started getting smaller and their brain started getting bigger. It was a drastic shift, and it aligns perfectly with when humans began cooking their food! It gave some insight into the importance of eating cooked food.

Also, just be careful not to get too concerned about denying yourself lots of different types of food. If you enjoy researching and working with your diet, that's great, but I hope it's not a source of stress for you! Variety is the spice of life, and even if certain symptoms improved by only eating a few key foods, most people could benefit a lot by eating 'clean' and making sure they get a little of this and a little of that, whatever 'that' is.

Best of luck! Let us know if whatever changes you do make help you out :)

I also want to add to this that there are certain nutrients that need some kind of heat to release them or allow them to be digested and absorbed. I know someone who went the route of juicing, going raw as much as possible, but still cooked some veggies. She says all her symptoms stopped or were dramatically reduced! I am doing a little more research so I can make sure I am getting all the right nutrients. :)
  • thatsingergirl
    thatsingergirl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Definitely eating tons of veggies is waaaay better for you and will help PCOS symptoms! But I am wired so that if I don't have an animal protein daily I actually get really really tired, and I'll continue to get more and more tired until I eat some beef/animal protein. I discovered this when I did a Daniel fast (no meat, no junk food/desserts- I also am mostly dairy free as well). I'm a firm believer that we're all wired differently and it can take some adjusting and investigation to find what works for us as individuals.
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I was born and raised vegan, and have been vegetarian since I was about 12. I suppose it's possible that my symptoms could be worse if I ate meat, but being vegetarian certainly didn't prevent PCOS from manifesting. For what it's worth.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I don't know about eating vegan or vegetarian but I read recently that eating a gluten free diet helps with PCOS and I've been doing so for the last week & for the first time in weeks I've dropped a couple of pounds . Not to mention I feel a lot better.
  • LoveFitNation
    LoveFitNation Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I was raised vegetarian also - it obviously didn't prevent PCOS from occurring in me - but I will say that I don't have all of the symptoms either...it is always great to have tons of veggies!! Just make sure you have a balanced diet with those veggies - make sure to get your protein and not become a carbotarian :)
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the replies ladies!! I have read a lot that says if you do vegan/vegetarian the right way and not fill it with processed things and crap, that it can cure symptoms. I am trying to do this as healthy as possible, with all whole foods, still working on ridding ALL processed stuff out so definitely a process, so I am definitely still a work in progress lol Sadly there is A LOT of vegan/veg foods that are not healthy what so ever! lol

I just bought a nutribullet and am going to start using this to get in a lot of good healthy veggies and large quantities of them, I know this isn't the typical way for women with PCOS, but I have tried it all - atkins, reg low carb, just regular eating without junk food, and they all have worked to a point for weight loss, but not for my other symptoms. I really think my body is lacking a lot of nutrition and I believe this can fix that issue.

I will keep you all posted, starting my "nutriblasts" over the weekend, hoping this is going to start me on a good road :)
  • happierandstronger
    Options
    I don't know about eating vegan or vegetarian but I read recently that eating a gluten free diet helps with PCOS and I've been doing so for the last week & for the first time in weeks I've dropped a couple of pounds . Not to mention I feel a lot better.

I have heard the same thing about gluten free and that it can also aid arthritis. However, there can be a downside to going gluten free if you do not have a gluten sensativity, a wheat intolerance or are not celiac. If this is an option you are considering run it by a health professional as they will be able to tell you whether it is right for you.

Here are some links regarding Gluten Free and the pros and cons:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/healthy-kitchen-11/truth-about-gluten
    http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/diagnosingceliacdisease/tp/Gluten-Free-Diet-Side-Effects.htm
  • ranganayakee
    ranganayakee Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have been a lacto vegetarian all my life and I wouldn't be able to comment on whether it made an impact to PCOS. Would like to add that by going high protein and by strength training along with HIIT, I am roughly losing a 1-1.5 lbs a week.
  • morgycg
    morgycg Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hello, I have PCOS and am usually vegetarian (really pescatarian since I eat fish once in a while). In general, I would recommend that if you do eat animal products, even vegetarian ones like eggs, cheese, etc, that you buy the organic hormone-free kind. I have noticed that my symptoms are better when I am not ingesting hormones from animals since my hormones are already screwed up. Also, I am careful not to eat too much soy since this can effect estrogen levels. Overall I feel that this is a healthier way of eating than the people who do low carb/keto but load up on meat/dairy instead of focusing more on veggies, fruits, whole grains, etc.