my hair itches!

Options
Hi all of you lovely ladies!!!

I am hoping and praying that one of you will have a great answer for me because I absolutley hate my hair, and that makes me sad :( In high school I had such beautiful hair, but now I look in the mirror every morning and can see the top of my scalp in the front of my head, right by my bangs. Of course I still have hair there, but if you catch the right angle, you can see my scalp through my hair! It makes me sooo sad! I am only 24 and I feel like my hair is thinning. I bet it's not as bad as I think it is, but still.

I get ready for work every morning at 5 am. But the time I get out of work around 4, and get ready to go out for the night my hair is sooo unbelievably oily/greasy, and my scalp itches sooo bad! So what I am asking for from you ladies is do you have any suggestions? How do you deal with this? If you do have the same problem I have (oily hair, middle of the day!) please let me know if you have a miracle shampoo or something...I am desperate! I'll try anything. I don't even care if it's like $15 a bottle, I want it! I'm afraid to even brush my hair, I don't wanna see it fall out! So as you can tell, I'm desperate. Please help!

Thank you so much for you time! I greatly appreciate any thing you have to offer! <3

Replies

• pland54
    pland54 Posts: 132
    Options
    I had this soooo bad! But it has really improved for me. I was also getting this weird, hard dandruff and along with the itching I was starting to think I had lice or something, but there were never any bugs. Super annoying, and super embarrassing! And I did have the crazy oiliness and the hair loss that went right along with it.

I finally read about seborrheic dandruff and it was like they wrote it about me. It is caused by excess androgens on the scalp (sound familiar?), and the oil literally chokes your hair follicles and causes hair to fall out. I started using clinical strength Head &Shoulders shampoo (it says it's for seborrheic dandruff on the bottle) and I don't have all the itchiness any more. My hair still gets a little greasy as I reach the 24 hour mark, but that's perfectly tolerable for me. I also take a hair skin and nails vitamin, but that probably helps just with hair regrowth and not with the itchiness or dandruff.

I can't know for sure if this is your problem too, but if you have high androgens, I'd bet it is. Give the shampoo a try... It's less than $5 I think :-)
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I second the seborrheic dandruff. You may also hear it called seborrheic dermatitis. Before I went on metformin, I had a very itchy scalp all the time and when I would scratch it, I would get like, hard scabs. When I was on the pill I didn't have it, and don't have it now that I'm on Metformin.
  • pland54
    Options
    Oh yeah, it is called seborrheic dermatitis. I kept thinking dandruff because it sometimes looks like dandruff except hard and waxy.
  • nekol88
    Options
    Thank you! Like I said, I'll try anything! Going to the store right now to buy it :)
  • mrsmcqueen27
    mrsmcqueen27 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You may want to see a dermatologist, they will be better at helping you. That is one of things that happens with pcos. I fully understand you. I used to have really thick hair and my hair is falling out. I am going to be setting up an appointment. I will let you know how that goes. :smile: :smile:
  • lalarox
    Options
    Do you think this would work for me too? I don't have any itchiness but my scalp is VERY oily and I have been experience significant fall out from my hair.
  • pland54
    Options
    Do you think this would work for me too? I don't have any itchiness but my scalp is VERY oily and I have been experience significant fall out from my hair.

Have you tried the hair skin and nails vitamins? Heck, I'd try both that and the shampoo before trying meds... Couldn't hurt! But it's true that the problem seems much less on the pill...
  • Healthgirl78
    Healthgirl78 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    As a kid my mom used to do a hot water and vinegar rinse once a week because my hair and scalp were so bad. I think it is 1 TBSP per 2 cups? I am not sure why things are a bit better for me now, but I still do a rinse once a month after a regular shampoo.
    Do you use conditioner? I only use conditioner on the ends so it doesn't add to my oily scalp.
    And finally- how is your food? When I eat too much sugar my skin- all over including my scalp- go into major oil production mode.

I think the other ladies are right about the dermatitis.
  • mattie733
    Options
    I use tea trea shampoo by Paul mitchell and then I only ever put conditioner on the ends. I have also used nioxin shampoo as well. I have a trick that I use when my hair is too oily. I carry a small thing of baby powder and sprinkle a bit of it into my hair and then the greasy look goes away. You have to be careful not to use too much because you don't want your hair looking white. It works wonders! Good luck!
    Oh yea and don't forget to rub the powder in so it absorbs the grease!
  • lalarox
    Options

Have you tried the hair skin and nails vitamins? Heck, I'd try both that and the shampoo before trying meds... Couldn't hurt! But it's true that the problem seems much less on the pill...

I haven't tried the hair/skin/nail vitamins. To be honest I have been oily for as long as I remembered so I never realized that was a PCOS symptom. I just assumed I had oily skin and I had to deal with it.

The fall out has been significant since I had my son 5 years ago....but everyone would tell me that happens after you have a kid...so again, I didnt realize it was related to my PCOS. I wasn't diagnosed until about 3 years ago-but I am seeing more and more that apparently I must have had it for over a decade and just never knew.

I went out and got Head and Shoulders clinical strength last night and already started it this morning. I will get some biotin for my hair and nails and I am also going to try out the spearmint tea someone else had mentioned in another post. You gals are awesome...really!