PCOS and Unwanted Hair Growth

Options
I've been very frustrated with excess hair growth on my jaw line lately. I had previously had lasor treatments and they were successful (for a while) and now the hair is back with a vengeance. In desperation, I went to the plastic surgeon to get an opinion and ws stunned when he told me there is no lasor treatment that would be permanent. I guess my question is; has anyone had any success with lasor hair removal? If so, what type of lasor was used? Appreciate the advice.

Replies

• happierandstronger
    Options
    I've never had laser done as everywhere I went for an opinion told me that my hairs were too light and there was a chance that it wouldn't work. I did get electrolysis done for a while and if you can get a hold of some numbing cream or you have a high pain threshold (mine's quite low plus I hate needles :/) it does reduce the hairs a lot! I had the hairs growing on my jaw line and the sides of my face but with weekly treatments for a couple of years (it does sound daunting!) I was able to stop be cause I got to the point where it was no longer noticeable and I was really just left with the odd few dark hairs which I just now tweeze out. I'm not sure of the cost of laser where you are but here in Australia it isn't cheap, if I did do it I would be spending close to $200 a treatment. The electrolysis I think only use to cost me about $30 per half hour. So it's another option if ip you are interested in that :)
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I had laser treatment on my underarms, and the girl told me that with PCOS, I would probably always need to continue to go back for touch-up treatment (it would never be permanent) periodically. I don't have money for that so I haven't bothered and yah, it grew back and I'm back to shaving.

Apparently if you can go back and do it every few years, or once a year or something it will continue to keep it from growing. But that's certainly a financial commitment.
  • lalarox
    Options
    Someone posted a thread a few days ago saying that Spearmint tea helps with the hair. I have looked into it and found a lot of PCOS sites and people with excessive hair in general raving about it. I bought some so I can try it out as well. Maybe you should look into it.
  • Healthgirl78
    Healthgirl78 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have been getting sugaring done. Depending on what the heck my body is doing depends on how long it lasts. Nothing permanent though. :( It has greatly reduced my jawline growth but my chin.... forget it. I get a dang goatee sometimes if I don't pluck daily. I get about a week to two weeks with sugaring my chin.

I was also told by several places that they couldn't promise permanent results due to PCOS. *sigh*
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Spironolactone is awesome for cutting down in this.
  • Goldenera
    Goldenera Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Consider going to a Naturopath and discussing options to take herbal supplements such as Saw Palmetto and Vitex (a.k.a Chasteberry). I have the same problem and have PCOs and it such a struggle. I just started taking it and maybe I'll report back in about a two or three months to see how these herbs work. I am crossing my fingers but if you do a web search on these herbs in relation to PCOs and symptoms, many women have reported success.
  • Mrc1974
    Mrc1974 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have spent so much money on having laser hair removal treatment due to PCOS, and I have to say it was a waste! I have very strong hair growth and because of what you need to do between treatments I now have more hair in places that wasn't a problem area before :O( I am hoping weight loss is going to help!
  • Meghan92285
    Options
    Has anyone tried the No!No! hair removal system?

I have it...but haven't actually committed to using it yet.

Meghan
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Google "No No reviews" and you will see the overwhelming negative response. I always check around online before I purchase anything. It's sad that we can't get a single hair removal invention that works well. I've read nothing but cautionary tales about laser too. Namely that it won't permanently get rid of the hair for women with PCOS. I really wanted to go get it done too but it seems like a huge waste of money.
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Laser was totally worth it for me. I have pale skin and dark hair. I had it done about 6 years ago, and it was some of the best money I've ever spent. Over the years I've had a few strays pop up, but nothing like I was dealing with before. That's said, the Spironolactone I mentioned earlier cuts down on the strays a lot too.
  • MsALMill
    MsALMill Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I've been very lucky. I grew up with lots of excess hair on the cheeks and chin because of my PCOS and had all the lovely nicknames from people. My family doctor hired a PA who also owns her own asthetic center on the upper floor of the building. Since she has been treating me for PCOS and all of the charges went through the same billing center she began doing laser hair removal as a part of the treatment which meant I wasn't paying but 30 dollars every 6 weeks. I went to her for about a year straight and it has done great. I've not been since December and although I have a few dark hairs pop up it is nothing like I ever had before and I can easily twease them now.
  • mazmataz
    mazmataz Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Electroylsis is supposed to be the only truely permanent way of removing the hairs. There are a few problems with this method though:

1. The hair is only within optimum zapping window at a certain stage of the growth and so at any session, only a few of the hairs will be gone for good. This means that proper treatment can take years, even if only for a small patch of hair.

2. In order to 'grab' the hair for treatment and also to allow the optimum number of hairs to be within said zapping window, you are supposed to grow it all out. This was where I swiftly disembarked from this crazy ride to a baby smooth face. Hells no! Everytime I go to my beautician for my wax, she always tries to talk me into it. I totally get the long term benefits...but I don't want to be rocking a frickin beard for two years!! I don't care how 'short' the hairs will be!

Personally I just shave. It took me a long time to get my head around this very unladylike element of my beauty regime - but I use a Venus razor so it's slightly more feminine :P I did use an epilator for years but my skin was a mess as a result - and it was pretty painful! Shaving is actually pretty good for your skin, it removes all of the crap and it gives the smoothest results.

I'm never seen in public with a stray hair anywhere near my chin/jawline - 99% of the people in my life don't know I suffer from heurtism. The only issue is that I often have to carry a razor in my bag when I'm out just in case I end up at an unexpected 'sleepover' with no handy Mach 3 by the sink ;)

I'm definitely going to give the Spearmint tea thing a shot though!
  • melissawannaloseweight
    Options
    Does anybody with excess facial hair ever go camping? I am in a couple of weeks and am not sure what to do. I shave in the shower, but no sure if this will work so great in the woods. Any advice??
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    A battery powered electric travel razor. You can get one pretty cheap at Walmart. They use AA batteries.
  • melissawannaloseweight
    Options
    Ok thanks! I'll check it out!
  • szarlotka717
    szarlotka717 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Does anybody with excess facial hair ever go camping? I am in a couple of weeks and am not sure what to do. I shave in the shower, but no sure if this will work so great in the woods. Any advice??

Do the people in your tent know? I bring a little mirror and a razor into the tent when I'm just sharing with my husband, and do my thing before I see any other people.

When I've shared tents/cabins/hotel rooms with people that don't know, I've hopped to the bathroom before anyone else (with a little mirror) and tried to take care of things before too many people are about. If people noticed before I was able to get rid of the hair, they haven't mentioned it to me.

Trying to get as much out with tweezing before the trip can also help - it takes a while, but I've been able to maintain my chin with just tweezing sometimes (other parts of my face can be too painful).

I'd *love* to have a more permanent solution (this has been a constant source of extra stress for me from my teens), but don't want to take the time to have hair grow out long enough for waxing/electrolysis/laser.
  • melissawannaloseweight
    Options
    my husband knows. the others don't. i usually do try and take care of it before anyone see's me other than my family. i never go camping for this very reason. but, i've decided i need to live my life and not let this get me down. thank you for the advice:)
  • estherlion
    estherlion Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    The only thing that works for me is carrying magnifying mirrors and tweezers everywhere. One set in my car (keeps me busy at red lights), one set in my purse, and a high powered magnifying mirror at home with lights, bells and wissles. I am obsessed with searching for those little wiskers as they come out and pluck immediately. Funny because my 5 year old daughter sees me doing it and imitates me with tweezing using my high powered mirror. Ha ha!
  • sm4k
    sm4k Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi,

I wax my chin twice a week, and my lip once. The Sally Hansen Simple Spa Wax Warmer gets every single hair. It's great, and my skin is smooth afterwards, unlike shaving.

I am saving up for laser hair removal, but I am doing it with the understanding it won't be permanent. Some places do have a 2 year guarantee, despite having PCOS. Two years would be worth it for me.

Also, for unsightly body hair, I use a Panasonic Epilator. Also works great.

Good luck!
  • erin4609
    erin4609 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Laser doesn't work. i had it done on my face for years (different lasers, different offices.) and it never worked. It just made the hair more coarse and it was expensive. With PCOS, the hair never goes away with laser. You just have to keep going back.

I get laser done for body hair, and it helps, but it's never permentant. It's more like a maintenance thing.

Electrolysis for your face. It works miracles. It's friggin painful and tedious, but it's the only thing that works. Trust me--been there done that with laser.