Introduction and confession

Options
Hi everyone,

I’m new to the group and thought I would post a topic introducing myself – being as honest as I can.

I’m Nikki and I suffer from very bad anxiety, especially around my weight. I’ve suffered from anxiety problems for my entire life.
Now I’ve reached my goal weight and I am transitioning over into maintenance I’m finding that my anxiety levels are through the roof. I keep having a lot of panic attacks and I am petrified about the possibility of gaining weight again. I don’t feel like I’m in control.

I want to keep this off long term. I’ve promised myself I’ll never go back. The transition is a very stressful period on its own, but adding a life-long anxiety issue into the mix and that is where it gets ‘fun’.

My most recent ‘freak out’ has been from me being concerned that I’ve damaged my metabolism after reading multiple posts on the forums saying that netting under 1,200 a day is bad for you. I did this for a long time during the start of my weight loss process as I thought it was good and normal. Now I’m concerned keeping weight off is going to be a lot harder for it and I’ve messed up my health – which was the key driver to lose weight in the first place.

I find myself being affected by a lot of topics on the forum. Does anyone else have this issue? It is almost like I need to please everyone by trying to do the right thing.

I’d love to have some friends in a similar situation to me, where we can support each other and try to get each other through a tough time, without stressing.

Nikki

Replies

• quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Hi there! While I don't get anxious about the threads themselves, because I'm such a huge shut-in, my entire day can revolve around what's going on in the forums. This can cause problems and brain-fog for me, or even mini-obsessions that make it so hard to focus on the rest of my day.

You are so not alone!
  • Haddix157
    Options
    Your not alone, not with anxiety anyways, I've had severe anxiety disorder for over 8 years now (I'm 22) I get panic attacks almost everyday, if you want, you can friend me, I wouldn't mind having someone that also deals with this.... Cheers!

Mike
  • Cynclancurrie
    Options
    I also suffer from anxiety. One particularly nasty thing about anxiety is that it can focus on any area of worry and, if that worry is cleared up by time or lack of proof, move on to hang around another worry, making it worse.

One thing I don't think you need to worry about is permanent damage to your metabolism. I've heard doctors say that this is an over exaggerated fear, especially for people in America. If you are at a weight you like, just keep exercising and add a few calories, 50 or so, every week until you find a calorie level that works for you. What will be right for you won't necessarily be right for everyone else. It is easy to get a little addicted to the forums. Sometimes it helps to get away from the computer for a while.

You look great.
  • PrincessNikkiBoo
    PrincessNikkiBoo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I also suffer from anxiety. One particularly nasty thing about anxiety is that it can focus on any area of worry and, if that worry is cleared up by time or lack of proof, move on to hang around another worry, making it worse.

One thing I don't think you need to worry about is permanent damage to your metabolism. I've heard doctors say that this is an over exaggerated fear, especially for people in America. If you are at a weight you like, just keep exercising and add a few calories, 50 or so, every week until you find a calorie level that works for you. What will be right for you won't necessarily be right for everyone else. It is easy to get a little addicted to the forums. Sometimes it helps to get away from the computer for a while.

You look great.

Thank you. I've decided to increase my calories up by 100 today and re-evaluate in a few weeks. I've been very hungry recently.

Your comments on the metabolism have put my mind a little more at rest.
  • auntkk28
    auntkk28 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on making it to your goal weight:) I'm almost there myself but on top of my anxiety I also have issues with binge eating and recently have put on a few pounds (not sure how many - I'm afraid to step on the scale). I'm just trying to bounce back and focus on my exercise and trying out yoga, I hear it's good for stress. Feel free to add me, I log in every day but I've been taking a temporary break from logging my food, I was getting too obsessive about it! As for the forums you can't believe everything you read on here, everyone has their own opinion about every topic, you made it to your goal weight so what you've been doing has obviously worked for you:)