C section vs Normal

Options
luzmidd
luzmidd Posts: 154 Member
Hi ladies?

Who is planning on doing what? I'm not apposed to either way of delivery, I just can't make up my mind yet.
We live really far from a hospital, so in my case a c section is a much better option, but as I said, I'm still very much undecided and would love to hear your opinions!

Replies

• Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I had a C section with my daughter and will likely have to have one again this time. Is was scheduled because of health issues and was very uneventful with no complications. I recovered quickly for a C section as well. However, I would NOT choose a C section unless I absolutley had to for health reasons. It is a major surgery with a LOT more risk to the mother and baby than a vaginal birth and the recovery is brutal, even when it goes well. I do also believe it made breastfeeding that much harder for us.

This time I will not be scheduling a C section either. I plan to go into labor and book it to the hospital as soon as labor starts.
    My daughter was taken at 39 weeks and was very small. I sometimes wonder how much better things would have been for her had I let her decide when to make the exit, lol.
  • FitFunTina
    FitFunTina Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    How far do you live from the hospital? Keep in mind that most first labors last longer than 12 hours on average. If you are truly concerned about making it to the hospital in time, I would look into an induction a million times before considering an elective c. Like rubyann said, it is a major surgery which has longer recovery times. Also, many hospitals do not allow vaginal births after caesareans, so it is possible that if you change your mind for future babies, you possibly wouldn't have a choice.

Make sure you do your research on all sides. It is possible your provider may also have specific suggestions for you.

Incidentally, I live 30 min from the hospital, and plan on staying home for as long as possible.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    As someone who has had 2 c-sections, I would not advise an elective c-section. If it is medically necessary for yours our your babies safety, that is one thing. It is major surgery and the effects can last years. I am hoping that this one can be a natural birth, but odds are not in my favor.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    A medically necessary csection is one thing, but opting for one for convenience is kind of dangerous imo...a csection, while relatively straightforward for major abdominal surgery, is still major abdominal surgery. In addition to having a newborn, you get to recover from major surgery that cuts though your midsection. I've done it and it's doable but I definitely would never elect one just because I was worried about making it to the hospital on time - your body will recover much faster from a regular birth :)
  • ehg87
    ehg87 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Never had a C section, but know plenty of folks that have. I would never choose an elective C section. I've had 2 vaginal deliveries, both with zero complications. I lived 30+ minutes from the hospital both times which didn't pose a problem since after getting there I was in labor 8 hrs with the first & 5 hours with the second. I now live 45+ min away from hospital, and the only thing I'd like to do differently is wait at home longer this time. Good luck with your decision.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I've had one baby (vaginally) and am expecting baby #2 at the moment. I had an epidural, so a vaginal birth was not painful at all, and I had almost no tearing, just one tiny (dissolvable) stitch. As such, my recovery was pretty quick - my 6-week postpartum appointment was accidentally scheduled at 5 weeks (my OB's office counted wrong when they set the appointment), and I was cleared for regular activity at 5 weeks. I doubt it would have been so quick if I'd had a c-section.

That said, women in my family labor pretty quickly, and my contractions started at 11:30 at night coming anywhere from 2-4 minutes apart, so I was checked into the hospital by 1AM. In other words, I went from 0 to 60, but even with that, I was still in labor for 11 hours (my son was born at 10:30 the next morning). I only live about 10 minutes from the hospital, but I'd have had time if I were an hour away or so.

Also, if you end up Strep B positive like I was (you're tested late in pregnancy), you need antibiotics at certain intervals prior to giving birth, so you'll need to go in to the hospital ASAP. Unfortunately, laboring as long as you can at home isn't an option. This time I'm hoping not to be Strep B positive, but even if I am I'll probably go in right away because your subsequent labors tend to be faster, plus I'm Rh-negative (my husband is Rh-positive, as is our son) and want to make sure all is well in that department (I get my first RhoGAM shot next week). I would like to labor at home and avoid the fight not to be given pitocin, which really messed with my contractions last time, but I don't think I should for the overall health of me and my baby.

My opinion would be to go vaginal if you can. I wouldn't wish a c-section on anybody, unless it was needed, because it *is* surgery and is an added recovery - you'll still bleed for a few weeks and whatnot whether or not you have a vaginal birth. Personally, I don't want one. I mean, if it's necessary, then fine, but unless it is, I'd rather not have one.
  • EmilyRanae22
    EmilyRanae22 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I'm going natural/vaginal unless something goes wrong. I live close to an hour from the hospital as well and I'm nervous about making it there especially since I plan to hang out at home as long as possible. My thought is, when I start feeling like it's getting close I'll head to the doctors office (right across from the hospital) can get checked out and if they tell me I don't need to go to the hospital yet I'll probably check into a hotel rather than head all the way home. I have known many people who have gotten sent home a handful of times before actually being admitted so I figure being nearby in a nice hotel with a big tub would be nice...heck if the weather is good maybe I'll even hang out in the pool
  • TheLaser
    TheLaser Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I wasn't considering an elective c-section at all with this (my first) pregnancy, but after seeing the movie "The Business of Being Born" and reading the book _Pushed_, I am determined to avoid one and all the steps that could lead to one unless it is a genuine medical emergency. You might want to check out those resources.
  • nursenikki829
    nursenikki829 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Check out the WHO stance on c- sections as well as some general info. C- sections are a major surgery, and should be used as a tool to prevent major complications for mom and baby. It is also a surgery that can have lots of complications for mom and baby, which is why the WHO recommends a c- section rate of no greater than 15%. Maternal/ fetal mortality rates are actually much higher in our country than in many developed countries due to the higher surgical birth rates (32.8% in 2010). Complications for mom include increased bleeding, surgical complications like adhesions, urinary incontinence and infection and babies are more likely to spend time in the NICU (most commonly for respiratory problems from lack of squeezing in the vaginal canal preventing fluid from being squeezing from the airway). It is also banned in some states to have a primary elected c- section. It is definitely a major decision, and keep in mind that many first births are long (nothing like they are portrayed in media). Some women and babies need surgical birth for best outcomes, but that being said, it is important to fully educate yourself on your options. Good luck! (PS I was worried about my third baby being born at a hospital an hour away, and we made it with plenty of time, and I had a lovely birth)

http://www.childbirthconnection.org/article.asp?ck=10456
  • kellykneppergrundy
    kellykneppergrundy Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    If I'm remembering correctly first time moms average labour time is 24 hours. You will have plenty of time to get to the hospital. Everyone's already listed the numerous reasons you don 't want a c-section unless you need to have one, but here's another. My sister had one and the epidural didn't work properly (not uncommon). She could feel it when they started to cut her and had to be put under a general anaesthestic. Everyone got to see the baby before she did. Even I, who live 5,000 miles away saw a picture before she was even awake again. She was devastated. Nothing is guaranteed, it is a major surgery and you never know if it could end up. My sister is fine physically but she hates that she had to miss the first 3 hours of her daughter's life.
  • RBXChas
    Options
    If I'm remembering correctly first time moms average labour time is 24 hours. You will have plenty of time to get to the hospital. Everyone's already listed the numerous reasons you don 't want a c-section unless you need to have one, but here's another. My sister had one and the epidural didn't work properly (not uncommon). She could feel it when they started to cut her and had to be put under a general anaesthestic. Everyone got to see the baby before she did. Even I, who live 5,000 miles away saw a picture before she was even awake again. She was devastated. Nothing is guaranteed, it is a major surgery and you never know if it could end up. My sister is fine physically but she hates that she had to miss the first 3 hours of her daughter's life.

That is so sad! I would be really bummed (well, more than bummed, I'd be devastated) if I had to be "out" for a c-section and thus couldn't see my baby for several hours afterwards. I had a vaginal birth, and they took my son away pretty quickly because his pulse-ox was low (he turned out to be fine) - they were supposed to return him quickly, but instead they did their whole workup and didn't bring him to me until I'd been moved to a regular room on the maternity ward - so about 3 hours after birth. At the time it seemed like not that much time had passed because there's so much going on (waiting for the epidural to wear off, "hosing me down" in the bathroom, etc.), but when I thought about it afterwards, I was PISSED!
  • kellykneppergrundy
    kellykneppergrundy Posts: 234 Member
    Options

That is so sad! I would be really bummed (well, more than bummed, I'd be devastated) if I had to be "out" for a c-section and thus couldn't see my baby for several hours afterwards. I had a vaginal birth, and they took my son away pretty quickly because his pulse-ox was low (he turned out to be fine) - they were supposed to return him quickly, but instead they did their whole workup and didn't bring him to me until I'd been moved to a regular room on the maternity ward - so about 3 hours after birth. At the time it seemed like not that much time had passed because there's so much going on (waiting for the epidural to wear off, "hosing me down" in the bathroom, etc.), but when I thought about it afterwards, I was PISSED!

I don't blame you for being angry! We do skin-to-skin here and I had my daughter in my arms and fed her before they ever took her for 5 minutes to weigh her! Husband had her for skin-to-skin while I got stitched but she was never out of my sight the whole time we were at the hospital. Even when I was having a bath hubby and her were in the bathroom. I felt terrible for my sister. All the grandparents and family were there and holding her daughter before she ever came round. it couldn't be helped in her situation, but I know she never considered that might happen when thinking about c-sections. It certainly wasn't something I thought about.
  • auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I've had two vaginal deliveries and can honestly saw I'm hoping for a third. I wouldn't want a c section for anything other then a major medical emergency. Nothing like immediately getting to hold your little one the moment they are born and having them look at you, nothing else in the world compares. I was also about 45 min away from the hospital with both of my deliveries and the only thing I think I wished that would have been different was that I could have laboured at home longer but my water had broken with both and they want you at the hospital right away here when that happens.
  • luzmidd
    Options
    Thanks ladies! I really don't want a C section after reading all your posts! I've done a lot of research and I realise how much better vaginal birth is. I live in northern Mozambique, we've been expats here for over 4 years, so I have to travel to South Africa for birth at 36 weeks latest, then have to make sure my husband arrives on time. I'm not scared of vaginal birth, I'd prefer it 100 times over c section, but it would also be terrible if my husband missed the birth of his first baby! Luckily he's super, said that he'd rather miss the birth if baby came earlier than have me struggle through a c section... lets hope it doesnt come to that!

Thanks for all your messages, its scary being a first timer in a country with so little resources... I have to travel 1600 km every time to see my gyne, luckily there is a flight, but only 3 times a week!

Ok, last question. What is your opnion on induction? I love hearing first hand accounts rather than the medical jargon. I know a lot of people are apposed to it, but like I said, I'm exploring all the alternatives!
  • nursenikki829
    nursenikki829 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies! I really don't want a C section after reading all your posts! I've done a lot of research and I realise how much better vaginal birth is. I live in northern Mozambique, we've been expats here for over 4 years, so I have to travel to South Africa for birth at 36 weeks latest, then have to make sure my husband arrives on time. I'm not scared of vaginal birth, I'd prefer it 100 times over c section, but it would also be terrible if my husband missed the birth of his first baby! Luckily he's super, said that he'd rather miss the birth if baby came earlier than have me struggle through a c section... lets hope it doesnt come to that!

Thanks for all your messages, its scary being a first timer in a country with so little resources... I have to travel 1600 km every time to see my gyne, luckily there is a flight, but only 3 times a week!

Ok, last question. What is your opnion on induction? I love hearing first hand accounts rather than the medical jargon. I know a lot of people are apposed to it, but like I said, I'm exploring all the alternatives!

Induction is another slippery slope. Many refer to it is a cascade of events that can increase your likelyhood of a surgical birth. There is no standard induction method, but methods include cervidil (inserted into the cervix to help it ripen and start contractions), a foley bulb that is inserted into the cervix and inflated to manually dilate the cervix . Both of these methods are commonly followed by the administration of pitocin which chemically causes contractions. I believe that babies should pick their own birthdays because new studies show that not just their lungs, but also their brains are still developing up until delivery. Just some basic info for you! (Just and fyi... pitocin HURTS! I had it during my first labor because I wasn't progressing quickly enough, and I chose to have a pain med free birth, so that really made it more difficult for me, my midwives that I see now lovingly refer to pitocin as a chemical crowbar! lol) Inductions, like c- sections have their time and place. I am so sorry that you have such a tough choice, mama! Good luck!
  • RBXChas
    Options

I was not induced with my first, so I don't know personally. My sister was induced with her second (she had literally crippling "sciatica" - it turned out she had a slipped disc in her back that required surgery three weeks after she gave birth - and it could have caused permanent paralysis had she waited much longer), and she gave me the lowdown, since I was pregnant with my first at the time, plus I saw her later that same day.

She went into the hospital early in the morning (though I know people who have gone the night before and slept there using Ambien, sort of a "last hurrah" kind of sleep), and they started her on Pitocin. I am guessing they gave her something to help her cervix dilate, too, but admittedly I don't know the details on that. Even though she was at the hospital at 7AM like they told her to be, she didn't get started on Pitocin until maybe 8 or 8:30, so she spent a fair amount of time just hanging out.

Within an hour her contractions were really bad, so she had an epidural around 10AM and delivered by 11:30AM. She said she'd do it again that way if she had to, especially since it was her second baby, which gave her the luxury of having someone available to handle her older child's drop-off and pick-up at preschool.

Personally I am very much against Pitocin, but that's because I had a horrible experience with it and suspect that I was overdosed on it. I also suspect that it wasn't started and then dialed up over time but that it was given to me full force from the beginning. In my situation I think it was administered as a rule and unnecessarily, so this time I plan on declining it unless my OB gives me a valid reason as to why I need it. Hopefully during an induction it would be properly managed, though!
  • mrs_dwr
    mrs_dwr Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Chiming in a little late, but I figured I'd share my VERY LONG story, since I've had both an induction, a c-section, and a natural labor (only labor, not delivery).

My first pregnancy went perfectly until 35 weeks when I developed pre-eclampsia and was put on hospital bedrest. My condition was worsening, though my baby was doing fine. The doctors held off anything until 36 weeks, at which point they determined that the baby was healthy enough to be born and they didn't want to keep me pregnant any longer because of all of my complications (blood pressure getting ever higher, platelet count dropping so low they were giving me regular platelet steroid injections, etc).

They started an induction (so this part addresses your induction question) with cervidil. After 12 hours, I'd made very little progress and they gave me another dose. I was experiencing contractions (not at all painful - like MAYBE up to a 2-3 on the 1-10 pain scale) but still making slow progress with dilating/effacing. After those 12 hours on cervidil, I asked to try the foley bulb. It can't come out until you're at least 3cm dilated, so there's no time limit on it and there aren't drugs involved. At some point in there (the timeline is a little fuzzy) I was asked if I thought I would want an epidural at all (my original goal was to be as drug-free as possible); my platelets were so low that they needed to insert the epi port immediately because if they waited any longer, I wouldn't be able to clot. So the port was inserted, but no drug administered yet. The contractions were worsening, and at some point, my foley bulb came out. The doctor on call (not my dr) checked me and said I was at 4cm (later I was told I actually never made it past 3cm) and decided to break my water to help progress labor more quickly. I had no idea if I had a say in the matter and figured the doctor knew best anyway, so I just went along with what she was deciding. In retrospect, I would've asked to wait longer (if my body and baby could have handled it) and try walking the halls/using the birthing ball/etc.

They also started pitocin when they broke my water. After that, the pain from the contractions doubled. I held off as long as possible, but eventually the pain grew so bad (after having 3 back-to-back/overlapping contractions that lasted a total of about 10 minutes) I had to have the epidural administered into the already-existing port. The doctor checked me at that point and guess how far I'd gotten?!

ABSOLUTELY NO PROGRESS.

About 20 hours after getting my water broken, the doctor on call (still not my doctor) said that due to lack of progress, the baby was experiencing decelerations in her heartrate and they would need to perform a c-section. The c-section went perfectly, and my baby was a perfect 6lb8oz 19" long girl, but after the surgery they briefly showed her to me and whisked her over to clean her up. Thankfully my husband was able to be with her and take pictures, as I was still lying on the table getting stitched up, etc. Then I spent an hour in recovery, during which the drugs wore off. I was exhausted (2.5 days of non-progressing labor will do that to a body!) and the drugs wearing off made me freezing cold and super-shaky. The nurse asked if I wanted to try breast-feeding, which I did want, but I was afraid to hold her because I just knew I'd drop her due to exhaustion and the shaking.

As far as recovery goes - it seems to take forever. You're experiencing the normal post-partum bleeding for a couple weeks after delivery coupled with the fact that it's hard to even bend over and reach down there thanks to the giant incision in your stomach that is healing. Coughing and laughing both cause excruciating pain unless you stay doped up on pain meds. And the scar will always be there. There's also a nice little flap of skin that hangs over my scar that I doubt will ever go away.

Since that delivery, I've had twins also via c-section, because my hospital (which happens to be a different one than with my daughter) will not perform VBACs on twins. With them, I went into labor naturally (water broke all over our bathroom floor/toilet) and definitely had strong contractions. (The difference between these contractions and my pitocin-induced contractions was huge, though. These I could breathe through, practicing methods I'd learned from the class, etc. The pitocin ones just seemed to envelope me completely in pain.) Calling the dr, getting my husband, the babysitter arriving, making the 45-min drive to the hospital, checking in, getting prepped for surgery, and having the babies took 2 hours and there was no real worry that they were going to just be born before they could be taken (though maybe that would've been nice!). So I think you'll be fine if you start heading to the hospital when you're experiencing contractions. I wouldn't wait for your water to break, though.

I'm currently pregnant with our 4th (and, most likely, last) child who will also be a c-section baby, due to the high risks associated with attempting a VBAC after 2 c-sections. She will be a scheduled surgery, as long as she stays in there long enough to make it to the surgery date. I wanted to fight for a VBAC because the ACOG actually states that someone in my condition would still be a reasonable candidate for one, but after talking to my doctor and to my sister (who also happens to be an OB/GYN) I've come to realize that a repeat c-section would actually be the safer route for both my baby and me.

If I had it all to do over again, though, I would've fought a lot more with my first daughter to try for a vaginal delivery. Since the induction was medically necessary, I would've requested the foley bulb first, rather than the drug (cervidil) and gone from there. My daughter wasn't experiencing any negative consequences from the induction until after my water was broken, so I think things could've been stretched out a little longer if they'd held off on my water. I don't know if the outcome would've been the same, but I think everyone just tried to do the 'fastest' method of getting her out instead of the 'best' method.

In the end, a healthy baby and a healthy mom are the goals. But if you can avoid surgery and even an induction, definitely try to go that route!
  • luzmidd
    Options
    Thanks for all your messages, it really helps hearing first hand accounts! I'll have to have a loooong chat with my gyne about the pros and cons, luckily he is amazing! All the best for all of you as well.
  • BlondAnnieOakley
    BlondAnnieOakley Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I would NEVER choose a C-Section over regular birth. I had to have a an emergency C-Section with my last one and the recovery was horrible. I am not one to slow down or 'not be able' to do something, it took 6 months to really be back to doing everything normal. It's been 2 years, and I still don't have any feeling in my lower tummy.

I'm really praying for a Vbac this time around! :) BUt of course, we'll do what we need to do for ahealthy baby :)
  • TinaBean007
    TinaBean007 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Do you have the option of a doula where you are? One that can travel with you and help you make decisions when the time comes?