Timing issue after losing weight

Options
Has anybody dealt with this problem? I have averaged between 195 and 205 for about 10 years. I bowled my 2nd 300 game this past January while I was at my all time heaviest weight. It was about this time when I saw "201" on the scale and had that "Holy S*** I gotta do something" moment. I started paying attention to my weight and soon afterwards made my account on MFP.

Where I'm going with this is that I've been anywhere from 185 to 200 pounds almost the entire 15 years I've bowled in my league. Now that I've got myself down to 165 (and falling) I've been struggling since the league started back up at the end of August.. My average right now is 176 and I've only been over my "usual" average one night all season.

Anyone have any ideas? Is it just a matter of practicing through it to retrain my timing and having patience?

Replies

• leftoverbun
    leftoverbun Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I've lost about 100 lbs, and my bowling has seemed to improve. I think my balance has improved, and with a narrower waist, getting around my hips and keeping the ball in line with my target seems to be easier. Hard to say, as not only have I bowled quite a bit more this year than in the past. Naturally I'm going to improve when practicing so much.

On the other hand, my golf swing has gone to ****, badly.
  • matthew67899
    matthew67899 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I guess that's what has me confused the most. My balance has improved quite a bit. I used to fall out of a lot of shots at the line and now it seems like I don't have that issue as much. Something just seems out of sync once I get to the line.
  • bridgeto1984
    Options
    What I found is that with weight loss, I'm also a lot more flexible than I used to be and that affected my stride and I had to move back even more (I already have a four step approach and have always started near the back of the lane). With even the slightest change in stride, your timing could be thrown off... Just a thought.
  • twistedlefty
    Options
    i really notice that my weight gain has affected my approach, timing, fluidity, it would have to.
    i look forward to my scores being consistently higher as i lose
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    My average has improved but about 15 since losing weight. I too, think my balance is better and I move with a wider range than with my old sluggish approach.
  • matthew67899
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone! I've been doing better and my average is up around 190 now. My timing is starting to feel right again although still have my moments. Another factor was that the lane guy had been oiling the lane with a "modified Shark PBA pattern" for the first half our league season and they explained that for the second half they were changing it back to what we've used in years past. I didn't notice at the time, but scoring was down league wide and quite a few guys were struggling like I was. I guess if anything, I'm encouraged that I was averaging almost 180 on tough lane conditions before they changed it. Definitely feel a lot better at the end of the night after the weight came off than I used to and I don't get tired as quickly.
  • matthew67899
    Options
    Another update....
    I went to my pro shop guy that I know really well and ordered a new ball. While I was there, I had him resize my hand and the finger holes for all my bowling balls were 3 sizes too big. I have been squeezing the ball just to keep it under control but never realized that that was what was causing the pain in my forearm I've been dealing with. I had him use the new measurements for the new ball and changed some of my old equipment to match and it's amazing how much different it is. I already notice much more control and rotation on the ball. I bowled four games over the weekend (before my new ball was even ready) and averaged 219. What a difference....I can't wait until league night!
  • KevinS62
    KevinS62 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I had him resize my hand and the finger holes for all my bowling balls were 3 sizes too big. I have been squeezing the ball just to keep it under control but never realized that that was what was causing the pain in my forearm I've been dealing with.

That's very similar to my problem. Gripping too hard and my release is all jacked up. After a few weeks, I finally figured it out what was happening and put some tape in my thumb holes. Helped out quite a bit, but I think I need all new inserts. Not liking the sound of that. Especially since I'd like to lose another 30...

Sorry to bring up an old thread! I'm bowling tonight and just found this group.

-Kevin