5K, 10K, HALF MARATHON!

Options
Anyone participating in any races this year? Walking, jogging, running, how do you prepare?

Replies

• Brandification
    Brandification Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the Color Run in June! Since it's cold as **** here, I've been hitting the gym to run on the treadmill. Once it warms up, I'll be back outside to get my running regimen back on track.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I've run a five, a ten, and I ran a half a few years ago (no small feat for someone who always hated running!) My advice if you're starting, find a good plan (The RunningRoom has 5, 10, half and full training plans that do a great job of helping you slowly build your distance, strength and endurance) and DON'T try to do too much too soon. That's the biggest mistake new runners make. You need to really build a base and let your body adjust gradually, or else you injure yourself and it will just suck. Also consider doing Tens and Ones; Ten minutes of running, then one minute of walking. That's how I did all my training for my half, and it worked great :) I still run now; a 5K every week on average (mostly to give one of my dogs some solid exercise, lol) but I don't have any formal races planned.
  • HuneeBunee08
    Options
    I've run a five, a ten, and I ran a half a few years ago (no small feat for someone who always hated running!) My advice if you're starting, find a good plan (The RunningRoom has 5, 10, half and full training plans that do a great job of helping you slowly build your distance, strength and endurance) and DON'T try to do too much too soon. That's the biggest mistake new runners make. You need to really build a base and let your body adjust gradually, or else you injure yourself and it will just suck. Also consider doing Tens and Ones; Ten minutes of running, then one minute of walking. That's how I did all my training for my half, and it worked great :) I still run now; a 5K every week on average (mostly to give one of my dogs some solid exercise, lol) but I don't have any formal races planned.

Thats a good idea, idk if i can run for ten minutes though. but it's basically just alternating between running and walking? I think i can handle that.. Im thinking about doing the Graffiti runk, Vampire run, I heard that there is a zombie run coming up. Might try that as well
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the Neon Splash 5K in late March. I've done Warrior Dashes before, but never an actual 5K. A friend and I are training together, running 3 times a week at a local park. We're using one of the Couch25K-podcasts. Really helps us gradually increase endurance.
  • cmeiron
    Options

Thats a good idea, idk if i can run for ten minutes though. but it's basically just alternating between running and walking? I think i can handle that.. Im thinking about doing the Graffiti runk, Vampire run, I heard that there is a zombie run coming up. Might try that as well

Yup, alternating run/walk. You can do 30 seconds of jogging and a minute of walking to start; it really doesn't matter! Find a pace where you're still able to talk in near-full sentences while you're jogging; anything else is too fast to start. The slower you build your stamina early on, the easier it gets in the long run; that "base" is really important! As you get comfortable, start slowly adding a bit more jogging time between walk breaks, as you slowly increase your distance.

Maybe try a C25K beginner program? Here's a link to the 9 week plan for brand-new runners (scroll down a bit):

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

A zombie run sounds SUPER fun!!! :D
  • mudtea
    mudtea Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I was looking forward to doing the San Francisco Bay-to-Breakers (12 km), but they want like $50 for registration these days! If I can find a good benefit run that I like, maybe I'll participate soon.

My 5k time is down to 27 min, and I'm pretty happy about that. When I started MFP in June of last year, my knee hurt so bad after even a 100 yards of jogging that I was in pain for a couple weeks. I did lots of walking until I couldn't stand moving so slowly anymore that I naturally started running, little by little. Now I'm thinking I might be up to a half marathon by mid spring if I can keep up my exercise.

Short of seeing your doctor for advice first, I'd suggest going to a good running shoe store to be fitted with the proper type of shoe and maybe sports bra. A few of those quick-dry shirts and longish compression shorts to keep the thighs from chafing have been a good investment for me too. I've been using the free Endomondo app to monitor my runs, and it even automatically enters data into MFP. (Thanks to the person here who turned me on to that app!) A pair of sports headphones and a good selection of music is a pretty important part for me too.

Then comes the harder but very rewarding part: Get out and shake your bootie!
  • MVarghese418
    MVarghese418 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have run a bunch of races. My first serious bf convinced me to run a 5k with him and his friends. I thought I was going to through up at the end. BY the time we broke up, I was training for my first marathon. When does the color run registration open? I hear it is a ton of fun. I have done the chicago and marine corps marathons, using galloway for MCM and hal higdon's method for chicago. I MUCH prefer the run/walk approach. I run to eat and I eat so I run. Of course, I am a fair weather runner. HAve any of you tried front runners? Is there even a chicago chapter? I ran with them when I lived in DC and it was a lot of fun. When I moved to St Louis, they were a bunch of old farts who complained about their lives, so that fell by the wayside real quick.

If anyone finds a fun running group, I need all the motivation I can get. I thought getting dogs would do the trick but it turns out they do not like winter either.
  • cmeiron
    Options
    I'd suggest going to a good running shoe store to be fitted with the proper type of shoe and maybe sports bra.

YES. THIS. THE SHOES. Do NOT cheap out on shoes. This is your number one most critical investment. Find a running store, if possible, and get fitted properly.
  • Ooh_katiekates
    Options
    I have started 'running' this week, It's laughable really that I can only manage 2 minutes of jogging at a time, by which point I'm always fairly sure I'm going to die. I have a loooooong road ahead of me.

Anywho, my goal is to be able to run a 5k by the summer. Think I should book myself onto one now as added motivation?!
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I'll be doing a couple of 10ks and hoe to get into the great north run. Prep is I'll be running 5k twice a week, one longer run and a sprint training session and a lot of strength and conditioning training. I can't recommend strength and conditioning enough, when I first started running (c25kand hell was it hard)I was fine but then I started to up the miles and kept getting injured. I found an amazing s&c trainer and haven't been injured since! Plus my running has improved loads
  • cmeiron
    Options
    I have started 'running' this week, It's laughable really that I can only manage 2 minutes of jogging at a time, by which point I'm always fairly sure I'm going to die. I have a loooooong road ahead of me.

Anywho, my goal is to be able to run a 5k by the summer. Think I should book myself onto one now as added motivation?!

That sounds exactly like my first summer of running - the first "run" was laughable, and it almost killed me. I was stubborn and stuck with it though, and gradually it got to a point where it was more enjoyable than painful.

I love this idea of signing up for a race now. Then tell people that you're going to do it. Even consider doing a charity run where you have to do a little fundraising. My first run was a 5k for breast cancer, and having that specific goal kept me on track and it was totally achievable. Also check out a couch to five k program or similar!!!
  • brandiuntz
    Options

You'll be amazed at how quickly your endurance improves. My running partner and I have quickly moved from 2 minutes at a time to 6 minutes this most recent week. We're running 3 times a week, using a couch 2 5K program. The programs can really help you progress in an 8 week period.

We've signed up for a 5K at the end of March. So, we have to stay committed!
  • jameseylefebure
    jameseylefebure Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I've got a few I am going for this year as I feel a lot more confident in my ability to actually get them done. I'm aiming to do

The Mersey Tunnel 10K
    Tough Mudder
    The Big 5K Family Run (getting my hubby and son involved)
    Liverpool Marathon in October
    The Santa Dash (5k dressed as Santa)

they are races I *really* want to push myself to do! I turn 30 this year and want to do something that I will be proud of for a long time to come after!!
  • cmeiron
    Options
    Ok, you guys are all inspiring me...I'm going to register for the Mudd, Sweat and Tears (http://www.muddsweatandtears.com) obstacle race (5k) at the end of September! It'll be a great motivator to keep up with my running and to work on my upper body strength :)
  • brandiuntz
    Options
    Ok, you guys are all inspiring me...I'm going to register for the Mudd, Sweat and Tears (http://www.muddsweatandtears.com) obstacle race (5k) at the end of September! It'll be a great motivator to keep up with my running and to work on my upper body strength :)

Awesome!
  • YumemiruJin
    YumemiruJin Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    A half marathon at the end of May, and a 5k in mid June. I worked up with the Couch to 5k program, and now I'm using another similar method to make it to half marathon stamina.

I broke down and now run on the treadmill, but as soon as the mercury hops above freezing (consistently), I'm back outside.
  • electriq
    electriq Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I'm sure ill run some races this year although not sure what. Probably some 5s and 10s. I have done a 5, 10 and half in the past. Running is fun! :-D
  • alanfogarty
    Options
    I'm on week 3 of the c25k app ands its going really well. I'm surprised how I improve each week. Your post reminded me I need to sign up for a 5k so I'm going to see can i find someone to do it with me and book something.
  • baldielove13
    baldielove13 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the Color Run in July. I am so souped for it too! I've never been able to run a 5k, but I'm going to start the C25k tomorrow.
  • libertygirlfla
    libertygirlfla Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I signed up for a 5k on March 23rd.