Hello from Hampshire!

Options
Hi all

I've just joined here, after cancelling my SW membership. I would like to lose 3st and this is the year to do it. All support is gratefully received. I'm a 'large portion' eater who cooks most meals from scratch. My vice is snacking after tea, when 6yo has gone to bed. I'm trying to combat it by going to bed early if I feel i can't be trusted near the kitchen.

Look forward to sharing your successes and posting mine.

Sharon :-)

Replies

• TaniaB_79
    TaniaB_79 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hi all

I've just joined here, after cancelling my SW membership. I would like to lose 3st and this is the year to do it. All support is gratefully received. I'm a 'large portion' eater who cooks most meals from scratch. My vice is snacking after tea, when 6yo has gone to bed. I'm trying to combat it by going to bed early if I feel i can't be trusted near the kitchen.

Look forward to sharing your successes and posting mine.

Sharon :-)

I also cook my meals from scratch so have started weighing out my portions to control the calories, my vice is chocolate and wine. Fortunately when I count the calories I tend not to miss choccie too much as the calories just aren't worth it, although I may have a dark choccie treat every so often. Wine however is much more difficult for me, so one glass for me then I might have lemonade and lime or water from my wine glass so I can try to convince myself its still naughty!!
  • bubblegumbodw
    Options
    I'm not much of a drinker, so that's not a problem. I try and stay away from chocolate as I have no will power once it's open. Biscuits are my vice. I try and buy boring Rich Tea or Gingers but Hubby often brings in yummy ones and I have to be really strong with myself. This often fails at the weekend with my morning cuppa :-/
  • nykdem
    nykdem Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hi there.
    I'm also from Hampshire and also have the portion control problem! I've just started using a much smaller plate for my dinners and ensuring that the meat/fish and potatoes/pasta/rice and veg take up equal portions of the plate. I really struggle with snacking after dinner and I've not yet come up with a solution to that ..................... but I'm working on it!
    Feel free to add me :-)
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I'm also Hampshire, add me if you wish

I find for snacking I use Morrison's dark rye crispbread, spread with Phlidelphia low fat cheese [on offer for a quid in both Morison's & Asda]. I use the sweet chilli one, but have been told the chocolate one is delish, not tried that but not sure I could stop at just one on that flavour
  • susannahsutton1
    Options
    Hello, from Surrey so not too far away. Am also a snacker, so my tips are...

You can't snack on what isn't there, so don't have bad stuff in the house. Kids like sweet stuff, so grapes and apples are good replacement as are bananas
    My new trick as someone who nibbles on the raw ingredients, normally the bad ones like cheese, is to freeze immediately. So once it is weighed out, the rest goes in the freezer
    Sparkling mineral water fills me up and is really nice with a little bit of cordial added, such as the Belvoir ones or Bottlegreen
    The other thing is to embrace the fact you are a snacker and eat less at the main meals to leave calorie space

Hope that is helpful
  • AHoggins
    AHoggins Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am too from Hampshire. Farnborough to be exact :) I have lost over 5stones since March last year using mfp as well as joining the gym. Please feel free to add me, I would love to give as well as receive support to anyone :)
  • hampshirelass
    Options
    Hi,
    I am originally from Hampshire and looking for more friends on here to for support, so feel free to add me as well.
    I try to cook from scratch, does not always happen, but I try to balance the week out. My downfall is bread and pastas, and as I am not a big meat eater tend to fill up with the bread etc so trying to break that habit.
    Welcome to MFP :tongue:
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm in Hampshire too (New Forest way) and have just started today after giving SW the elbow as they dont teach you about portion control! I'm 40 this year and have a 4 year old daughter. My problem is just eating too much, too much of the time. When I'm eating, I'm thinking about what I'm going to eat next!

I'm 5'10'' and currently 171lbs so want to lose about 15lbs (SW helped a lot to get the weight off to start with but a stone has crept back on because of my bad habits!)

I've really noticed, after logging the food I've eaten today, that you really can't eat that much if you want to eat the good stuff! I'm hoping this will be a re-education for my food-obsessed brain....

Anyone please add me - I need all the support I can get!
  • bubblybabeuk
    bubblybabeuk Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Hey I am from Hampshire too, New Forest. I cook from scratch, loving Hairy Dieters! Making a real effort to get my uncontrolled snacking sorted. doing ok this week, eating two good snacks a day seems to help.

Feel free to add me

Mandy xx
  • Trerah
    Trerah Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi,i live near the New Forest, im new to fitnesspal and just getting into the swing of using it! Im another snacker and an emotional/boredom eater Would love some support if anyone would like to add me. Weight has got me down for a while but got worse when I came a stay at home mum, now is the time to do something about it!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Hello from Surrey :smile:

Here's a few suggestions:

Save some calories for the evening.
    Have low calorie snacks instead (veggies are good).
    Have your evening meal later.
    Use the evening to do some exercise (fitness DVD perhaps? Bodyweight exercises?). Earn your snacks.
    Distraction techniques, when the munchies strike get up and do something (anything!).
    Have a glass of water, give it 15 mins, ask yourself if you are really hungry? Give it another 15 mins....
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Hi,i live near the New Forest, im new to fitnesspal and just getting into the swing of using it! Im another snacker and an emotional/boredom eater Would love some support if anyone would like to add me. Weight has got me down for a while but got worse when I came a stay at home mum, now is the time to do something about it!

I'm starting to thing that MFP is a good way of owning up to what you eat (obviously!) but that when I was on Slimming World I was accountable to them and not to me. I started to feel guilty when I'd been going to group and not doing "as well as I should have been". Bloody nonsense! And MFP is free! Very pleased I've found MFP and some lovely supportive friends - it always seemed like a competition to lose weight at SW and people tutted if you had a good week!

Still only in my first week but love it so far. Even had red wine last night nom nom. Might have to start thinking about moving my *kitten* and doing some exercise soon...... :-)
  • hodgep
    hodgep Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, Im from the New Forest too. MFP is an invaluable tool to me, that has permitted me to loose loads, and seeing that Michael Mosely program last August has motivated me.

Happy to support and keep you going...
  • skinnyjo76
    Options
    Hi, I'm from next door in Surrey ;) I've also got 3 stone to lose.
  • paulj1958
    Options
    Hi I'm From Fareham. My problem is bread and butter, I have managed to cut this out using Ryvita and dairylea light, not as bad as I thought.

You can add me
  • DanTillson
    DanTillson Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Basingstoke here, added a few from the thread but feel free to add me. On here everyday and hit the gym 4-6 times a week so pretty active. Been logging everyday since I discovered the app about 110 days ago, totally changed how I eat and ( not too surprisingly) the results I got from training :)
  • LadyRoff
    LadyRoff Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    hello! im from Rowlands Castle/Hampshire! 3-4 stone to lose! Please add me :)
  • GonnaBFit2510
    GonnaBFit2510 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone just discovered this thread, hope your all doing good I too am from Hampshire in the fareham area, feel free to add me.
  • antonia_yes
    antonia_yes Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hello from Southampton! :)
  • jenniferwren
    Options
    Hi, I'm from Alton, Hampshire :-) finding mfp a brilliant tool, it's a long term thing and it's helped me sooo much :smile: for me not eating after 8pm and weighing everything to get accurate cal count is the way im' going, biscuits used to be my vice also, like crack to me typically they've got large packs of mcvits digestives two for a pound atm :sad: :laugh: om nom nom nom only joking i can't go back to the bad biscuit place ever again :laugh: