What are crucial PCOS bloodwork tests? "TSH" "WTF" :)

Options
Currently, I have no health insurance. I was diagnosed with PCOS about a year ago by a good OBGYN, and a good Endocrin Doc who confirmed. Only found out b/c I went off birth control which i had been on from ages 14-27, and found that without BC had irregular menses, acne, slight increase in hair growth.

Until I can get coverage again (hopefully next year), i really want someone to at least monitor my bloodwork numbers, hoping that my local low-cost clinic has the means to do so...

If so, what are the things they need to measure for? "TSH" i remember...what are all the crucial elements. I am hoping to take the records from my End. Doc. from last year, and these new records, and compare, and to keep tabs as I continue to lose weight, which i hope can arrest my PCOS. Also, hopefully clinic can tell me whether i am developing cysts on my ovaries.

I am currently off the BC again, for about 6 months or more. Just feel like i am done, i don't want meds, and i want to see what diet and exercise can accomplish. may sound irrational, but i just feel like i want to be drug free.

i am also scaring myself sometimes, thinking, "oh god, i am gonna grow a beard" and "oh god, i am going bald" and "oh god, my face will develop brutal acne"

so far, i am doing well and looking good, but this fear is there. lately, i have even been agonizing over my hair in the mirror, trying to tell if i have a spot of thinning hair, or if i am just seeing things. menses have been basically normal, but a bit of spotting this month.

i am so scared, and feel like there is no roadmap...that we each have our own PCOS journey.
the only symptoms i worry about are visual/physical ones, so vanity is a huge factor here.

someone tell me it's gonna be okay...

Replies

• thatsingergirl
    thatsingergirl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    TSH would be Thyroid. Usually the ones they look at are LH and FSH (Luteinizing Hormone and Follicle Stimulating Hormone). My endocrinologist also tested me for excess androgens (male hormones like testosterone).

And YES, it's going to be ok! There is lots of support and information out there for us! And you can also do a lot diet wise by making sure your eating doesn't cause insulin spikes, which can effect the estrogen and testosterone in your body.
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Hey Hun! It is good to get your hormone levels checked, hair loss and alot of aymptoms come from high levels of testosterone, along w infertility. Also glucose is a good one, which i believe they can do a metabolic panel which has a lot of them in there.

I am in the same boat as you, i am trying to cure my shmptoms holistically and not having to depend on meds, trying myself to get off BC soon, I do take a lot of vitamin supplements, i take vit C, vit D, inositol, biotin, multi vit, b complex and glutamine. Most i take for pcos because I have heard they are supposed to help, there are others i have found also i am going to look into trying.

I think eating vegan is going to help, just try eating as clean as possible, i think it makes a huge difference for some of us w pcos, i always have better success when i am eating clean :)
  • pland54
    pland54 Posts: 132
    Options
    Hormones are produced in multiple areas of the body. TSH refers to Thyroid Stimulating Hormone, a very important hormone produced by one of the major hormone centers, the thyroid. Testing thyroid functioning is in a sense ruling out that your problems are being caused by things other than PCOS, because PCOS deals with hormone imbalances in another hormone center, the ovaries. So, if you have PCOS it's very important that you have the reproductive hormones that are produced by the ovaries checked, especially the androgen and androgen-precursor hormones. If you have any symptoms of insulin resistance, have them test for that as well because it's common with PCOS, and can really make everything else more difficult.

I don't think you should 'scare yourself' about those things potentially happening, but it's good that you are obviously aware that those things could happen, and they do happen to a lot of us. I went through a phase of literally looking like I was balding, and I struggle with really bad acne constantly. But none of it is irreversible, and we all have to go through trial-and-error and have ups and downs with our symptoms. You are definitely right that we are all different.

Even though you don't have insurance, please make sure you at least get your annual exams with a pelvic ultrasound! That much is definitely necessary to keep your health in check.

Good luck! Sounds like for the time being you are not suffering too much from this, and I hope it will stay that way. Don't think of the physical stuff as "vanity issues"....doctors call it that and I hate it! It is not unreasonable or vain for a woman to be very upset about these issues, and I feel like they marginalize our concerns when they call it that. It matters, and it's totally worth the effort (on their part and ours) to search for a solution. I never want anyone to not feel beautiful the way they are, but I know how it feels to struggle with these things, and it can be isolating to feel like your problems are "only physical" or not important. We vary in severity, so maybe you'll be lucky! But you have support no matter what.