Caramel Color

Options
tvl0308
tvl0308 Posts: 96 Member
Hi everyone,
This mite be a dumb question but does anyone know if we can have caramel coloring? I know they say we shouldn't have caramel. Is it the same thing? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Replies

• hdlb
    hdlb Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I have no idea. I've googled it before, but come up with 1000 different answers and opinions.
  • alwebbert
    alwebbert Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Many caramel colorings contain gluten. But from what I understand, caramel candy doesn't.
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Caramel coloring is considered suspect but I have yet to have an issue with it
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    In the US, most caramel or caramel colouring comes from milk and/or corn. If you are in the US, then if the caramel is made from wheat, then the ingredient label should include a "contains wheat" warning.

I am dairy and corn free, so I avoid all caramel.
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Coke gives me a reaction, but Dr Pepper doesn't (yeah I know Soda is bad) But I try to avoid caramel color most times, its just one of those maybe foods that scares me.
  • ShannonKelliG
    ShannonKelliG Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    In the US, most caramel or caramel colouring comes from milk and/or corn. If you are in the US, then if the caramel is made from wheat, then the ingredient label should include a "contains wheat" warning.

^This but it depends on where you live. In Canada it doesn't contain it.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I have never had an issue with caramel. Coke is suppose to be gluten free. I do not drink because of the sugar, but I have never had issues.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options

^This but it depends on where you live. In Canada it doesn't contain it.

Maybe that's why I said "in the US" not just once, but twice!

:laugh:
  • Spartan_Guy
    Spartan_Guy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It can be suspect, though many companies will disclose on their websites how their caramel color is derived. Also, remember that in the US, to be considered "gluten free," the product needs to have below 20 ppm of gluten...which could be enough to cause a reaction in some people. So it's tricky.

I've never had trouble with Coke or other dark pop, but some people do have a reaction. For awhile celiacs avoided Captain Morgan spiced rum because of the caramel coloring, but the company states the product is now gluten free.

Good luck, and don't be afraid to contact the manufacturer! Often you'll get the generic, "we cannot promise that our products contain no gluten," but sometimes they're helpful.
  • cals83
    cals83 Posts: 131
    Options
    It is something that can contain gluten and you usually have to check with the manufacturer of the product. While wheat is one of the common allergens that manufacturers will list on their products, caramel color can come from barley malt which is not required to be listed as a common allergen and gluten can be "hidden" in that sense. A lot of the more common food manufacturers, i.e. Kraft say that they won't hide anything in ingredients such as caramel color or natural flavors so with some food products, you know you will probably be ok.