Menopause and low blood sugar?

Options
Mustang_Susie
Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
Hello Ladies,
I'm hoping to appeal to a more specific audience with this question.
I know I recently posted a topic about perimenopause but I have another one.
I have been noticing lately that my blood sugar will suddenly and without warning, just plummet.
I will be minding my own business having eaten well and healthy and then POW! I'm shaking like a leaf and needing to eat something NOW!!
It's frustrating because it kind of messes up my calories for the day but I can't be lying on the floor either.
I have been looking it up online and there soes seem to be some indication that hypoglycemia can be one of the symptoms of peri and full menopause.
Anyone else dealing with this?

Replies

• Mamafred
    Mamafred Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I hadn't heard that but it would explain a lot. I do know that the hot flashes cause a sudden drop in my blood pressure. I told my doctor about this and she said that it was common. The heat causes our blood vessels to dilate quickly which causes the blood pressure to suddenly drop. I can't say menopause is the most fun I have ever had.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    I hadn't heard that but it would explain a lot. I do know that the hot flashes cause a sudden drop in my blood pressure. I told my doctor about this and she said that it was common. The heat causes our blood vessels to dilate quickly which causes the blood pressure to suddenly drop. I can't say menopause is the most fun I have ever had.

Hmmm... I didn't know that!
    That might explain the nausea before a hot flash.
    I already have low blood pressure to begin with.
    Sheesh...:frown:
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I've had blood sugar issues off and on over the years.

Plan on eating a healthy snack between meals. Try to avoid going more than 3 or 4 hours without eating something. Eat mostly whole, real foods. Complex carbs- whole grains- help because they digest more slowly and the energy is released into your system over time instead of all at once. Try to eat protein, fat, and carbs at each meal.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    I've had blood sugar issues off and on over the years.

Plan on eating a healthy snack between meals. Try to avoid going more than 3 or 4 hours without eating something. Eat mostly whole, real foods. Complex carbs- whole grains- help because they digest more slowly and the energy is released into your system over time instead of all at once. Try to eat protein, fat, and carbs at each meal.

Yeah, I'm a nurse dealing with diabetics everyday.
    But thanks for the reminders.
    It's just weird to think it's happening to me, ya know?
  • thoeting
    thoeting Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    SO glad you posted this...yep, sure enough I'm seeing this also. However, I notice it especially happens after exercise - no matter how fueled up I am. STILL can happen, with NO warning.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    SO glad you posted this...yep, sure enough I'm seeing this also. However, I notice it especially happens after exercise - no matter how fueled up I am. STILL can happen, with NO warning.

I HATE how fast it hits.
    Feels terrible :tongue:
  • Jacqualynne
    Jacqualynne Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've been peri for a couple of years now and seem to need sugar where in the past I never did, like now I have sugar(sweetener) in tea & coffee. Are you measuring your blood sugars or do you notice a drop in energy or maybe a sugar craving? I really hate all these meno symptoms :(
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    I've been peri for a couple of years now and seem to need sugar where in the past I never did, like now I have sugar(sweetener) in tea & coffee. Are you measuring your blood sugars or do you notice a drop in energy or maybe a sugar craving? I really hate all these meno symptoms :(

I haven't been measuring, but probably should.
    I always crave chocolate, so who knows :tongue: