One thing I wish I had known/owned before surgery??!!

Options
I have been stalking the forums and YouTube channels, but haven't really found a list of good to have items for preop/postop or even a few things learned along the way. What was helpful, what was a waste of time/money and what did you feel to be the MOST IMPORTANT piece of advice you had received? Thanks VSGers!

Replies

• MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    The one thing that I would tell people considering any bariatric surgery is this:

WLS is a great way to lose a lot of weight quickly, and with a minimum of willpower, although it does still require compliance and effort.

WLS is a terrible way to maintain that weight loss, so if you don't want to gain all the weight back, you really need to change your thought processes, become a good manager of your compulsive eating habits (they don't go away), become a regular exerciser, and measure and track your food daily.

People do not become candidates for WLS because they"like food a lot." People who qualify for WLS are generally compulsive eaters who have serious issues with using food abnormally. If you do not figure out how to manage this mental and emotional aspect, you will likely regain.

I am actively maintaining my loss, but I could EASILY eat enough now to gain all my weight back and more.

Best wishes!
  • jennielou75
    jennielou75 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    There is a uk based site called wlsinfo that has loads of information and forums full of helpful advice. I felt quite informed by using it. There is even a list of things you should take in for your op that was very useful.

Find a place for cheap trousers with drawstrings that work if possible. You can wear tops till they get quite baggy but trousers are another issue!!! Be prepared to buy a few new items and wear them frequently. I am now in a size 18 but still wear my size 26 knickers but trousers that size fall off!!!

Track all your food and get excited by excercise. I bought a fitbit and I wear it all day every day. I get in at least 10,000 steps every day and it soo helps.

Enjoy all the changes, feeling hip bones, seeing a waist appear and realising that doing planks is achiveable far outweighs the saggy skin.
  • mama2elijah
    Options
    Thank you ladies, I have really been working on my mental issues with food. I have been so afraid of wasting my money and time because I didn't prepare my mind for this journey. I will also really shoot for the 10000 steps, that's seems doable and very helpful.:happy:
  • UnderCoverShyGirl
    UnderCoverShyGirl Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I think it would be really important to have different options of protien drinks. I only had a couple, and i was sick of them very very fast, and some made me sick/were too thick, etc. I'm four months out from my VSG, the first couple weeks were rough, but now i actually have to work at losing weight and i'm still more than 100 lbs from goal, soooooo, i would say to expect that you'll have some ups and downs, maybe even some times of regret in the very beginning when you feel crappy/weak. Except for major heartburn issues (that started before surgery) I feel great now...but it is an emotional process!

A pedometer (cheaper than fitbit) was a good start for me. I have an HRM too but have never used it. I can't think of anything that was really a waste (except the protien i hated but i wouldn't know until i tried it). Heartburn meds were a must for me, but most can wait until they know if they'll have an issue. It wouldn't hurt to stock up on vitamins if you see a really good deal (and make sure they include iron!) and oral b12 if that is indicated for you instead of shots.

Good luck!
  • donna_l_49
    donna_l_49 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 6 months out and it has been one of the best decisions I have ever made. I started out embarrassed and didn't want to talk about it. My family was worried and not very supportive. I finally opened up and talked to them about all the research I had done and that I knew this was the best decision for me and have had great support since then. I read every article, book, or pamplet about VSG I could find. I also bought a fitbit which is a great way to keep track of your exercise just like this site is great for keeping track of your food. I have learned my can't resist foods, they are different than before surgery, and I don't bring them in the house for any reason. I knew before my surgery what to eat afterwards, what vitamins to take, and stuck with it. I felt prepared and didn't have any surprises. The obesity help website has great forums that ask a lot of questions you never think of. My insurance had a year long waiting period so I had lots of time to prepare. Best of luck to you on your journey!
  • karensdream
    karensdream Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I guess the one most important piece of advice I received was to remember that just because you had your stomach removed, doesn't mean you had all your "head stuff" removed along with it. Old behaviors still have to be changed and new ones established. One thing I wish non-WLS people would understand is that WLS of any kind is not a walk in the park. It still requires the same amount of discipline and dedication any weight loss program requires. We do not just sit back and wait for the weight to drop off. And once we do lose the weight, we still have to work hard to maintain the loss. A few helpful sites that have lots of good information would include: Bariatric Foodie.com, Theworldaccordingtoeggface.com, and www.nawls.com. Lots of good info and suggestions to help make the journey easier.
  • meganw5638
    meganw5638 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    1) don't buy protein in bulk, even if you've tasted it pre-op. Your tastes will change post-op! Order a sampler package online from Syntrax (they do the nectar in sampler packs), or go to your local health food store and see if they sell small packages for samples. Many of the hospitals also have women's boutiques where they sell bariatric surgery items.

2) buy a supply of 2-oz portion cups (like the ones you get your salad dressing in at restaurants). For the first 2 months post-op, I measured the majority of my food by volume rather than weight, and those cups were perfect for most things. Eventually a food scale is a great thing to have too.

3) reusable water bottle! Fill that sucker up and sip, sip, sip all day, or else you won't be able to get your water in!! I personally recommend one without a straw - most surgeons will tell you to avoid drinking from straws (but I just think they get icky because they are hard to wash).

4) a pedometer or fitbit (or Nike Fuel band, or body bugg, etc.) is a great idea. Even if you despised exercise pre-op (like me!!), you'll find that because the pounds are coming off so easily, you'll want to make them come off even faster! Plus, it really does get easier to exercise when you're hauling around 100 lbs less than you were before. :) Also, I believe that right after surgery, the fact that I walked so much and so quickly (slowly, of course, and being careful of my incisions) really helped my healing process. It hurt, but I did it and I think it made a huge difference in my post-op.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I really didn't buy alot of stuff pre op before my sleeve surgery except a shaker for my protein shakes with the metal ball in it and packets of protein shakes in different flavors and brands to have on hand after surgery cause many times what you like pre op you can stomach post op. I didn't buy mini forks and mini plates or anything like that as you really don't need those.
    As others have said, WLS will help you loose weight but it's only a tool. You have to work on why you are over eating before you have the surgery or you will gain the weight back after surgery cause the head issue is still there. It's not a magic wand. Buying a fit bit or pedometer is good too and joining a gym if you haven't already once your surgeon ok's you to do exercise is a good idea too.
    Good luck!
  • MrsKTillman
    Options
    great question.... i also did tons of reading and thought i had it in check before my surgery date. if i could share a few things that i dealt with they would be.

1) do NOT stock up on protien ... before my surgery i liked the slimfast low carb... afterwards i cant drink them ( there too sweet) I also HATE the protien powders...nasty stuff... i got creative and found other ways to get my protien in... what i wish someone would have told me more often... DONT STRESS THE PROTIEN the first few weeks... water water water.

2) track everything you eat and drink... its been awesome for me... BUT.. you have to be totaly honest with yourself... dont be one of these people that count "housecleaning" or " pushing the vaccume" as excerise for hundreds of burned calories... BE HONEST.. your only hurting yourself otherwise.

3) drawstings and Elastics... they will be your new best friends... oh yeah... first thing i bought new... was undies after mine actually fell off when i stood up one day.

4) pictures... dont be afraid to take lots of photos and toot your own horn.

5) lastly and a biggy for me.... you have to understand BEFORE you have surgery... that not all of your friends and family are going to be supportive. Some dont think surgery is "right", some people will think its an easy way out... and some friends wont cope with a new thinner you.... i have a few friends that have hurt my feelings baddly with comments that cut deap... it took me a little while to relize that i was always the "fat friend"... they dont know how to deal with me when im not in that role... and it makes people look at themselfs... i have more friends on diets NOW then i ever have before... and they are always fast to tell you how much they have lost... doing a REAL diet compared to having surgery.

~good luck~
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Okay, the one thing I wish I had known for after surgery? Baby food is NOT an option. Yuck, that stuff is NASTY. (And we give this to babies?!) I had thought that it would be a good way to get a little variety in during the soft food stage, but nooooooo.... ick.

I agree on the not stockpiling protein drinks/powder. I did buy several different brands and types of protein drinks/powders and waited to try them until after surgery.

My go-to protein supplements now are: Syntrax Nectar chocolate truffle and vanilla bean powders, Syntrax Matrix chocolate and vanilla powders, Luna cookie dough protein bars (12 grams of protein), and my new all-time favorite is Quest's chocolate brownie protein bars (nuked for 10 seconds and it tastes like a REAL brownie... and 20 grams of protein).

Even though I'm almost 7 months out, I still have a protein shake for breakfast every morning, or almost every morning. I really can't eat much more than 1/2 cup of food for a meal, so it's hard to get in enough protein just from eating. I'm not complaining though, because I still like my shakes. :) (And brownie protein bar.)
  • stacylperry
    stacylperry Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Wow... all really good advice given. I agree with these ladies about the protein, DON'T stock up before surgery.
    Your taste buds will probably change a bit. (Isopure has awesome flavors &excellent source of protein)
    I also agree with; THE WATER BOTTLE, THE SHAKER BOTTLE w/ blender ball, a FOOD SCALE, SMALL CONTAINERS, SMALL PLATES, SMALL SPOONS and FORKS.
    Find a low fat or nonfat GREEK YOGURT that you like, they have good protein in them as well. (My favorite is FAGE)
    Don't forget your vitamins (chewables at first) ~
    Yes, make exercise your best friend!!!! Make exercise one of your top priorities!! Trust me!
    Make nutrition a way of life, a lifestyle change for the better!! Remember the surgery is just a tool,
    Not the solution.... YOU are still responsible for what goes in your mouth.

I'm 4months out and my mind wants to play games with me at least once a week....
    I still crave things I know arent the best choices... (pasta) and if I try to eat it (yesterday) I end up sick !
    Keep the nutrition information you get from the classes you take before your procedure, they are a good reminder after surgery.
    Best of luck to you...
    Any more questions comments or concerns... letme know :)
  • Cheekybookworm
    Options
    The one thing that I would tell people considering any bariatric surgery is this:

WLS is a great way to lose a lot of weight quickly, and with a minimum of willpower, although it does still require compliance and effort.

WLS is a terrible way to maintain that weight loss, so if you don't want to gain all the weight back, you really need to change your thought processes, become a good manager of your compulsive eating habits (they don't go away), become a regular exerciser, and measure and track your food daily.

People do not become candidates for WLS because they"like food a lot." People who qualify for WLS are generally compulsive eaters who have serious issues with using food abnormally. If you do not figure out how to manage this mental and emotional aspect, you will likely regain.

I am actively maintaining my loss, but I could EASILY eat enough now to gain all my weight back and more.

Best wishes!

I completely agree. Changing my thoughts and habits around food and excercise are the only way for me to maintain.
  • JuzDuIt
    JuzDuIt Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    OK...indelicate subject but.... going "potty" (#2!) can be difficult with all the protein, difficulty getting water in, etc. Just the shock to your system I think! Anyway, get your doc/nutritionists OK first, but I used Myralax for a bit, then just started adding about an 8th of a cup of Fiber one (ground up fine in my food processor) to my morning shake. It actually gives my chocolate protein powder a yummy malty taste, and does the trick to keep things moving! :)
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    OK...indelicate subject but.... going "potty" (#2!) can be difficult with all the protein, difficulty getting water in, etc. Just the shock to your system I think! Anyway, get your doc/nutritionists OK first, but I used Myralax for a bit, then just started adding about an 8th of a cup of Fiber one (ground up fine in my food processor) to my morning shake. It actually gives my chocolate protein powder a yummy malty taste, and does the trick to keep things moving! :)

OMG -- this is so important!

I take docusate sodium (stool softeners) still. Do not let yourself get constipated after surgery. It is the most horrible thing ever!
  • JuzDuIt
    JuzDuIt Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    It is MOST unpleasant! ANother VSG friend had to have surgery - she had a prolapsed rectum from the strain. UGH!!!!!!
  • mama2elijah
    Options
    You guys are so amazing, this is great advice! Thank you all so much, it is amazing and so helpful. I love that I get the good, the bad and the ugly.
  • OneDimSim
    OneDimSim Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    The getting down water thing first few days is the best tip i can offer - my first few days post-surgery were rough trying to stay hydrated (I stated this on another thread)

Also, don't RUSH the food - make sure you weigh and measure and go slow - i tried to do this but a couple times didn't do a good enough job and got the "foamies" -ewwww!
  • spfldpam
    Options

I agree the first few days you won't have that problem but after about day 4 you will. It is best to stay ahead of this. I didn't and it was not fun. I buy the Walmart brand Equate Benefiber sugar free and flavor free powder. I put 2 tsp in my morning protein shake every day. I wish I would have done that right after surgery. Many people have issues with this after WLS cause you aren't getting much food in or liquids.

My WLS program said to focus on liquids first, get 80 oz of liquids in a day cause the #1 reason people are readmitted after WLS is due to dehyrdation. The 2nd thing is focus on your protein shakes and third thing is focus on your vitamins.
    Good luck!
  • houlenberg
    houlenberg Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is my 4 month VSG anniversary and I would say these are a few of the things I wish I would have known ahead of time:

- Fluids go down easily. I was FREAKED OUT b/c my shakes were going down almost too easily by week 3 and I thought that meant I would have no restriction once I started eating. My surgeon assured me that fluids just go down more easily than dense proteins. He was right. I have restriction for sure. :)

- You may gain weight around week 3 (or really any week) b/c your body is rebalancing fluids. It's not REAL weight b/c that is pretty much impossible when you're eating such a low number of calories. It's just your body getting its fluid levels back to a good place. Knowing this little tidbit could have saved me a mini nervous breakdown in week 3.

- You will still feel hunger. I was told I would need to remind myself to eat b/c I'd never really be hungry. False. I felt hunger pretty early on. The difference is that I can fill that hunger more quickly with less food now, which is the whole point. But I truly thought I'd never be hungry again. Not true.

- Eat slowly. Like REALLY slowly. My brain forgets that I had this surgery and I still eat more quickly than I should. I get pain in my chest/diaphragm area b/c of this. Slow down. You'll be more satisfied in the long run and you won't get the pain like I do!

- The first 2 weeks, you will have diarrhea. Not technically diarrhea since you're not eating solids, but liquids in liquids out. No one told me about that. I was going CONSTANTLY. By the end of week 2, though, I wasn't going at all. Miralax is your friend.

I'll keep thinking, but those are the ones that really threw me! :)
  • spfldpam
    Options
    Tomorrow is my 4 month VSG anniversary and I would say these are a few of the things I wish I would have known ahead of time:

- Fluids go down easily. I was FREAKED OUT b/c my shakes were going down almost too easily by week 3 and I thought that meant I would have no restriction once I started eating. My surgeon assured me that fluids just go down more easily than dense proteins. He was right. I have restriction for sure. :)

- You may gain weight around week 3 (or really any week) b/c your body is rebalancing fluids. It's not REAL weight b/c that is pretty much impossible when you're eating such a low number of calories. It's just your body getting its fluid levels back to a good place. Knowing this little tidbit could have saved me a mini nervous breakdown in week 3.

- You will still feel hunger. I was told I would need to remind myself to eat b/c I'd never really be hungry. False. I felt hunger pretty early on. The difference is that I can fill that hunger more quickly with less food now, which is the whole point. But I truly thought I'd never be hungry again. Not true.

- Eat slowly. Like REALLY slowly. My brain forgets that I had this surgery and I still eat more quickly than I should. I get pain in my chest/diaphragm area b/c of this. Slow down. You'll be more satisfied in the long run and you won't get the pain like I do!

- The first 2 weeks, you will have diarrhea. Not technically diarrhea since you're not eating solids, but liquids in liquids out. No one told me about that. I was going CONSTANTLY. By the end of week 2, though, I wasn't going at all. Miralax is your friend.

I'll keep thinking, but those are the ones that really threw me! :)

It's strange how VSG is different for everyone. Fluids didn't go down easy for me at all but I also had a hital hernia repaired that they found once they got in there so they told me this is why. I had to stay in the hospital till Friday vs getting released on Wed after the surgery was done on Mon due to not being able to get my 80 oz of liquids down and didn't even start any protein shake till a week after my sleeve surgery due to this.
    You will gain weight right after surgery, don't get on the scale. I asked to get on the scale at the hospital the day after surgery and had gained like 15 pounds! But that was fluid and swelling from the surgery. I was shocked. Within a week it came off and I dropped weight in week 2 but week 3 didn't loose anything. Most people go through that though a stall at week 3.
    I didn't feel any hunger at all and only eat because I was told I had to. Even now at almost 9 months out I don't feel hunger. Now you can deal with head hunger though and that issue needs to be addressed and worked on pre op and post op since WLS is just a tool. Head Hungry can sabatoge you even if you've had WLS.

It's different for each person but reading about everyone's experience pre op and post op really does help a person on this journey I feel.