Introductions

Options
rachmass1
rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
Please take a moment to say who you are (first name only unless you want to do otherwise) and what style of aikido you practice and anything else you want to say about yourself and your goals.

I'll start

My name is Rachel and I practice Aikikai style aikido under the USAF. My instructor is Charlie McGinnis Sensei of Cincinnati although I live and practice in the Ann Arbor area (at a Birankai dojo - which is also great).

I have been having a tough time getting to aikido over the last 4-years due to living temporarily out an hour from the dojo, and having massively hurt my hip. It is finally getting better and I am practicing more, but not enough for certain. I hope to remedy that as soon as we move back closer to the dojo.

Replies

• DitaVonPeas
    Options
    Hi,
    My name is Dita, I practice aikido in the triangle area of NC. We are affiliated with Akido Association of America. I am currently a nidan (2nd degree black belt) and have been doing it for 10 years or so.

I love aikido but I have noticed that since gaining weight it is harder to do the same types of rolls and falls I used to. Probably some of it is aging joints but I know it would be easier if I weighed less. I get on the mat about 2-3 classes a week.

Thanks for starting the group, Rachel!
  • jennibee70
    jennibee70 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Jennifer, and I'm a member of the British Ki Society. We practice ki aikido. I practice twice a week in the north of Scotland. Love my aikido, sometimes it's tough, sometimes it's annoying, but I always feel better after it!
  • rachmass1
    Options
    Thanks for the intros!

I have found aikido is not at all helpful for weight management; just don't seem to burn much. I gained 50-pounds actively practicing. I am down 30 but still have a ways to go. It has helped my hip considerably. Btw, I am 51-years old and rolling just doesn't feel that great some days :)
  • jennibee70
    jennibee70 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    When I took up aikido for the second time 3 years ago, I lost about two stone without dieting, just because I was being more active, and I suppose because I wasn't sitting at home snacking. But over the following 3 years, including about a year of comfort eating, I put it all back on again. I don't think I could keep the weight off with aikido alone, but I do think it helps me on this process, because it keeps me away from the biscuit tin and gives me some extra calories to eat so I don't feel deprived.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Hi there!!

Just signed up for this group! I train in Tiptree, Essex in the UK on Fridays and Sundays. I have been doing Aikido for 13 years or more now and love every minute of it. At one point, all 3 of my sons were training, but now only my youngest has stuck with it and is doing well!
  • rachmass1
    Options
    Thanks for the introduction! Is the group Yoshinkan or a different style? The high flying uke in your photo reminds me of Yoshinkan :)
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just found this group and I am a fairly new to Aikido. My name is Lynda , I am an Aussie and I just had my 5 th lesson this morning . The style is Yuishinkai.

I trained in freestyle Karate as a teenager and some Brazilian Jujitsu. I came to Aikido through my 6 year old daughter. We were looking for something fun and physical for her. She started at the end of December and we are working on her getting her orange tip, which is the second belt for the kids. She loves it and is getting so much better self control and balance. Our club started Adult classes this year and Sensei Steve talked me into coming along. We mostly have white belts, with a brown belt , green belt and two Sensei's . I am also pleased that we are about 50% female. Today I had my first experience as a helper in the little kids classes. It is a truly different experience being with the kids rather than just watching.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Hi,

My name is Susan and I've been doing Aikido a bit outside Chicago since Fall 2006. I had a few abortive attempts before that, but that was when I started and stuck with it.

It's been wonderful and life-changing for me. I love it. I am moving and concerned about finding a place to train. :(
  • rachmass1
    Options
    Where are you moving to Susan?
  • susannamarie
    Options
    Northeastern MS.
  • rachmass1
    Options
    Have you searched through the USAF website? aikiweb?

http://www.aikiweb.com/search/search.html

Only 9 dojo in MS listed. TN maybe?
  • susannamarie
    Options
    Yep. Also went through AAA, ASU, CAF websites as well as spending some time googling.
  • rachmass1
    Options
    Damn! Start a club?
  • susannamarie
    Options
    So it looks like there really isn't anywhere local. I've never started a club before, but I guess I'm going to have to if I get to train.
  • rachmass1
    Options
    Go for it! Talk to your sensei as I am sure s/he will have some good ideas of what to do. You can start in a YMCA, or a chiropractor's office, church, community hall, etc. Just need to have some mats and patience is all :)
  • BushiStudy
    Options
    Hi!

Tweed here from California. I practice a style of Aikido that comes mostly from Iwama-Ryu, or Saito-sensei's teaching. I also enjoy practicing O-sensei's earlier Budo Renshu whenever the opportunity is available. We train extensively in jo, ken and yari at my dojo.

In addition to my regular Aikido practice, I train in Iaido, Shuriken, Naginata, Kusarigama and Hojo. I guess I'm partial to the weapons training :) I try to spend at least three full days (four classes/day) per week in the dojo and another 20 or so hours per week in my yard doing self-training. I also enjoy yoga, tai-chi and meditation practice.

If anyone wants to add friends, encourage each other, share training ideas, etc. please feel free to send me a request. Keep on blending!
  • rachmass1
    Options
    Hi and welcome! Great introduction. Friend request coming
  • susannamarie
    Options
    Hello and welcome!

One of my original teachers had started in California many years ago (he left over a decade ago now), also in a dojo influenced by Iwama. He also did a lot of weapons as well.
  • AikiPen
    AikiPen Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

Been a couple of years since the last post here, hope it is still a viable group.

I'm Lisa. I train in Durham, NC. Been with the same dojo since I started in 1994. I currently hold the rank of nidan. Every time I start getting serious about sandan I get hurt or something comes up in the rest of my life.

I started and run the children's program at our dojo. We used to be AAA but are now independent. In addition to being a wife and mother, working part time in IT at a university, and practicing and teaching aikido I also coach a boys gymnastic team.