Is anyone else FREEZING?

Options
LadyG0915
LadyG0915 Posts: 137 Member
Help, I am ALWAYS cold. No matter what, I am always cold. I have to have multiple layers on, multiple blankets, and a portable heater right in my face. I blast everyone out of the car with the heat and I have to keep my coat on and scarf and hat while working. I am still at around 200 lbs so I still have meat on my bones. WebMD wasn't much help and my MIL ( a nurse) said it could be that I am now anemic, or the fact that my calories are going first to nourish my body and not getting enough to heat itsself. Anybody else have this issue?

Replies

• barbi1281
    Options
    I'm on Vertical Sleeve Talk also and a lot of people have this problem. I'm always cold too and I'm sure it's a combo of things but mostly the fast weight loss.
  • rmc7467
    rmc7467 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm about one month out, and prior to surgery I always was sweating. Now I'm always cold too...so weird! I am also on Vertical Sleeve Talk, its such a helpful site.

Question, does fitnesspal have a special type of diet that we can follow. I just have what my dietician has given me, and the myfitnesspal calories are way too much.

Do you know? Thanks

Rhonda
  • kjhendrickson90
    Options
    Hey Rhonda!

I was surprised by the calories that my program's diet added up to. I end up between 700-1000 calories a day. I went to see my doctors about this as I was concerned it was high, but my doctors are very happy with this number. They said this is the recommended # (MGH in boston). If you are concerned with the calories, call up your doctors. I have found they are always more than willing to help!
  • jennielou75
    jennielou75 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Being cold is very normal. Apparently it is something to do with red blood cells and how they change when you lose weight. I bought thermals from marks and spencers and love them!!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Before surgery I was always way too hot. I am 16 months out from suregery and until very recently was freeezing all the time too. It seems to be leveling off and I'm actually finding times I'm not cold. Now this is a recent change for me, so check back in a few months, but it feels like my internal thermomater might finally have readjusted. I was told it would but when varies from person to person.
  • LadyG0915
    Options
    Okee dokee, as long as I'm not some freak of nature. I sleep with 3 huge blankets and an extra heater right on top of me. I'll prob end up setting fire to myself and never know it because I'll still be cold.
  • allyira
    allyira Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I asked my Dr. about it he said "'well it's like loosing 75 sweaters" Made me laugh ;) Now I've lost over 80 sweaters..
  • VaingloriousVictoria
    Options
    LOL - Losing sweaters! I am also freezing, but I think that comes with the weight loss. Just keep bundling!

Also, I've noticed that my bum starts hurting if I sit too long...just some of the quirks of weight loss!
  • mandyabraio
    mandyabraio Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Yes, since surgery I am FREEZING ALL the time!!!!!! I use to be hot (going through the change) but boy am I cold all the time now!!!
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I just ask this on the main forum. I thought it was due to my thyroid, but I guess not. I had to have my thyroid killed in March 2009 and I had Lap Band July 2010, then a conversion to sleeve Dec 2011. My body is going through major changes. I am even cold in the summer. My husband thinks it's funny, considering when my thyroid was going wacko I was emitting lots of heat, and didn't even know it. My husband would ask me to move over due to the heat my thyroid was putting out.

So now I'm cold. Lots of layers, drinking hot liquid till I float, hot showers sometimes, and working out or walking as much as I can. I just figure this is how life is now. ???
  • cbferriss
    cbferriss Posts: 122
    Options
    I went through this. Now it comes and goes. I use to make fun of skinny girls for being cold all the time. Irony.
  • pwbarton1
    pwbarton1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My wife and I used to joke that a dual control electric blanket saved our marriage (39 years) with my side turned off and hers on warm.

Since my surgery in May even layered blankets and a quilt did not keep me warm so now we have a dual control heated matress pad with mine on 4 and hers off. The dog gets up on my side after I'm up in the very early AM and thinks the residual warm is just fine for 10 year old bones..
  • kjhendrickson90
    Options
    Pwbarton1, heated blankets may have saved your marriage, well it saved my sanity! I would shake so bad I couldn't go to sleep. Be sure to buy one with the proper certifications of safety. Pull up the shades for as much sunlight as you can in the winter to warm up the house. Move! Warm up your blood. If you have a friendly office or are hidden in a cubicle, nothing wrong with bringing a blanket to work (my officemates have even asked to borrow mine!). Try to stay away from electric heaters at all costs, even the "safe" ones (we just had a fire this morning down the street due to one).

In addition to weight loss causing chills, if you think you may be iron deficient (don't eat a lot of red meat, have hair falling out, muscle weakness) it may be worth getting your docs to run for it on your next blood panel. Years ago i was severely anemic and it felt like I was living in a freezer. They brought up my iron levels and it was much better.

Warm wishes!
  • neurorat
    neurorat Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Okee dokee, as long as I'm not some freak of nature. I sleep with 3 huge blankets and an extra heater right on top of me. I'll prob end up setting fire to myself and never know it because I'll still be cold.

^^^
    This is *so* me!!
  • wandaleaner
    Options
    Okay so it's not just me either! I have about 45 gone, had my sleeve Dec 3rd, and I was the one who hated to see the temp go over 20 in the summer cause I hated heat!. Wel im nearly frozen this past few weeks. Yesterday we got the start of a winter storm, living on the east coast of Newfoundland, Canada. The storm is starting to peter out now, with 60 cms of snow sitting out there, and we lost power for 11 hours. Im soooooo cold! I have on a tonne of clothing, and thank gawd for tea!
  • operator646
    operator646 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Before surgery I was always way too hot. I am 16 months out from suregery and until very recently was freeezing all the time too. It seems to be leveling off and I'm actually finding times I'm not cold. Now this is a recent change for me, so check back in a few months, but it feels like my internal thermomater might finally have readjusted. I was told it would but when varies from person to person.
    I am glad to hear you say that. At night in bed, it is almost painful and difficult to sleep because I am so cold. Now, that I know that others have this happening I feel better. Plus, if there is an end insight thats not so bad.
  • TKKeith
    TKKeith Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm always cold unless working out or 80's and sunny! I wear fleece pj's/socks at night and heated mattress pad. My hands & feet are cold most of time.
  • LadyG0915
    Options
    My children will tell me to move over because I am so hot to the touch, but I am still freezing. I wear two pears of pants, long underwear, and multiple layers on top as well. I am going to have to break down and get an electric blanket or matress pad but I'm afraid I'll never want to get up then. It was near 70 here yesterday and I was still bundled like an Eskimo!
  • UnderCoverShyGirl
    UnderCoverShyGirl Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    oh ya, i have major issues with being cold, and i used to love the cold before surgery. I'm 4 months out, and even when everyone else is toasty i'm layered in jackets and sweaters - and i live in Los Angeles!! Glad i'm not the only one and glad to hear it may go away! I stick to around 800 cals a day, so thought maybe it was that....my weight loss has been slow overall (maybe about 60lbs since surgery) compared to some, but i still seem to have issues!
  • mooglequeen
    Options
    Hello, I'm about one month out, and prior to surgery I always was sweating. Now I'm always cold too...so weird! I am also on Vertical Sleeve Talk, its such a helpful site.

Question, does fitnesspal have a special type of diet that we can follow. I just have what my dietician has given me, and the myfitnesspal calories are way too much.

Do you know? Thanks

Rhonda

You can manually change your calories to what you want.