supplement summary

Options
britstrrr
britstrrr Posts: 33 Member
This page is a few years old and there are probably better things out there, but I found it a great summary of the supplements required for a vegan diet. She also dispels some common myths about supplements and amounts required.

http://www.theveganrd.com/2010/11/recommended-supplements-for-vegans.html

Replies

• msleanlegs
    msleanlegs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Just what I needed to read; thanks! I've been taking B12, vitamin D and iodine supplements, but didn't think about calcium and iron needs. And I thought I was getting DHA from chia seeds, but now I'm not sure. When I googled for info, it appears the ALA in chia seeds may not convert to DHA much.
  • speedy001
    speedy001 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I too tend not to be very good at supplements and will take iron sometimes and that is pretty much it. So yes I really do need to get my act together
  • tomatini
    tomatini Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I think that is a good list! Other than B-12 it really depends on your diet and lifestyle, but it's really good to be mindful of all those things. Personally I am often low on my DV of calcium, so I take a daily calcium & D2 supplement, for example. And of course the ever-important B-12. :) If anyone is looking for a natural source of iodine I recommend using kelp powder (assuming you find the taste/smell pleasant, of course).
  • jezama77
    jezama77 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have a brand name of a vitamin that they use? I looked at the sublingal vitamin B-12 at Costco and Cherry flavor only...I hate Cherry... Also, if there's a good 'vegan' multi-vitamin that someone might recommend?
    Thanks in advance! :)
  • tomatini
    Options
    Does anyone have a brand name of a vitamin that they use? I looked at the sublingal vitamin B-12 at Costco and Cherry flavor only...I hate Cherry... Also, if there's a good 'vegan' multi-vitamin that someone might recommend?
    Thanks in advance! :)
    Yep! I think most B12 sublingual tabs have that weird cherry flavor you're describing, but I know that Now Foods has a liquid B-12 with a more minty-vanilla taste because that's what I'm currently using. It's this one: http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Liquid-B-12-B-Complex-2-fl-oz-60-ml/419?rcode=pib512

As for multivitamins, I take Deva (they have ones with iron and iron-free) because they're relatively inexpensive and get the job done. All of the vitamins Deva makes are vegan actually, so you can check out their other ones if you ever need other ones. These are the ones I take: http://www.iherb.com/Deva-Multivitamin-Mineral-Supplement-Vegan-90-Coated-Tablets/12664?rcode=pib512
  • jezama77
    jezama77 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Oooooo thank you thank you thank you! I will check out these two links! Yay! I was hoping to get a good recommendation. So you find it necessary to take both a B-12 and a multi? Not enough B-12 in the multi? Just trying to figure out the best way to stay healthy on my new plant-based lifestyle... :)
  • tomatini
    Options
    Oooooo thank you thank you thank you! I will check out these two links! Yay! I was hoping to get a good recommendation. So you find it necessary to take both a B-12 and a multi? Not enough B-12 in the multi? Just trying to figure out the best way to stay healthy on my new plant-based lifestyle... :)
    Well, the multi says it contains 100% of your DV, but I don't think you always absorb all of it, which is why I take the extra supplement. If you eat a ton of other foods fortified with B-12 that can also help, which I do sometimes but not always, so really in this case I'm just being safe rather than sorry.
  • vegan_mama34
    Options
    i take prenatals
  • vegan_mama34
    Options
    and i also get the trop50 w/added calcium & vitamin D (i don't always want soy milk which is a great source of calcium and other nutrients)
  • tomatini
    Options
    and i also get the trop50 w/added calcium & vitamin D (i don't always want soy milk which is a great source of calcium and other nutrients)
    Just FYI, I think the type of D vitamin used in Trop50 is animal-derived, so is not technically considered vegan.