Men under 40 and women over 50 do not have the same bodies

Options
Somebody needs to tell the men under 40 that.

Replies

• Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    ?
  • Kitsada
    Kitsada Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... and my one line answers...

1. Thank God for that...

and 2. Who can tell a man anything and get him to listen??

;)
  • grward612
    grward612 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    So true!! And this hits home for me as someone who is pushing 50 and married to someone under 40. I'm lucky enough to have a husband who does recognize this though. But even still, it's not a comfortable feeling knowing that we will not age at the same pace.

There has to be a story behind this thread though! Do tell!
  • DMW914
    DMW914 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    lol, I'd love to hear the story behind this thread.
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    here, here!! :drinker:
  • AliceNov2011
    AliceNov2011 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I just keep seeing young(er) guys on MFP coach women "of an age" as if they were 25 -- with the assumption that their bodies will all respond the same way to way higher calorie counts and that a life of regular heavy lifting is in their futures. There's a real reality gap in that, I think.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to say that women over 50 shouldn't lift heavy? I certainly hope not!!!!

Take a look in my profile pictures and see the split photo - before and since LIFTING HEAVY.

Losing 1 lb a week, losing body fat but increasing LBM (slightly), I still have 14 lbs to go to target yet my waist and hips are currently smaller than I have had since my early 20's. I have no flabby hanging fat, just slight orange peel which is going. My boobs are perkier and my batwings are disappearing.

I know that without heavy lifting my muscles would deteriorate as I get older, I therefore intend to continue lifting for as long as I am capable of picking it up and putting it down again and to continue to push myself.
  • AliceNov2011
    AliceNov2011 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Nope, not saying that at all. I am saying that many (possibly most) will not.
  • sandradev1
    Options
    Many men under 40 will not either !
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    to me, age means nothing.
  • sandradev1
    Options
    to me, age means nothing.

^^^^^^ THIS every day.

AGE should NEVER be taken into account when deciding how to keep our bodies fit and healthy. Ability, cost, time etc etc but never age.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    You mean the headless, shirtless men on the forums? The ones that keep telling me it's just math?
  • Larisonlj
    Larisonlj Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    You mean the headless, shirtless men on the forums? The ones that keep telling me it's just math?

:laugh: you are funny!
    Them, not so much. :mad: :explode: :noway:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I just keep seeing young(er) guys on MFP coach women "of an age" as if they were 25 -- with the assumption that their bodies will all respond the same way to way higher calorie counts and that a life of regular heavy lifting is in their futures. There's a real reality gap in that, I think.

^this, and also younger women with injuries that seriously would need to shed some pounds before lifting is even an option to avoid further injury.
  • sandradev1
    Options

Most of my food and fitness success up to date has come from listening to these headless, shirtless men, some of whom are also my MFP pals. I have also received fantastic advice from MFP'ers of various ages and both sexes.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to say that women over 50 shouldn't lift heavy? I certainly hope not!!!!

Take a look in my profile pictures and see the split photo - before and since LIFTING HEAVY.:laugh:

Losing 1 lb a week, losing body fat but increasing LBM (slightly), I still have 14 lbs to go to target yet my waist and hips are currently smaller than I have had since my early 20's. I have no flabby hanging fat, just slight orange peel which is going. :noway: My boobs are perkier and my batwings :noway: are disappearing.

I know that without heavy lifting my muscles would deteriorate as I get older, I therefore intend to continue lifting for as long as I am capable of picking it up and putting it down again and to continue to push myself.:drinker:

Holy batwings batman, is this all true? Batwings do NOT have to be in my future, thank God for that! And for your post. What is the heavy lifting you're doing, not those dogs I hope? LOL. No seriously I would hope that everyone could concur that lifting is good. For anyone. Within their abilities of course and safely. I just think the thread was started in response to guys who are "headless" in more ways than one. Honestly it looks to me like mostly everyone here is intelligent and in agreement, which is of course to be expected when you get a bunch of women together with years of experience under their belts, no?:drinker: Cheers ladies, keep doing what you're doing which is killing it at the gyms and in this group!
  • sandradev1
    Options

Take a look in my profile pictures and see the split photo - before and since LIFTING HEAVY.:laugh:

Losing 1 lb a week, losing body fat but increasing LBM (slightly), I still have 14 lbs to go to target yet my waist and hips are currently smaller than I have had since my early 20's. I have no flabby hanging fat, just slight orange peel which is going. :noway: My boobs are perkier and my batwings :noway: are disappearing.

I know that without heavy lifting my muscles would deteriorate as I get older, I therefore intend to continue lifting for as long as I am capable of picking it up and putting it down again and to continue to push myself.:drinker:

Holy batwings batman, is this all true? Batwings do NOT have to be in my future, thank God for that! And for your post. What is the heavy lifting you're doing, not those dogs I hope? LOL. No seriously I would hope that everyone could concur that lifting is good. For anyone. Within their abilities of course and safely. I just think the thread was started in response to guys who are "headless" in more ways than one. Honestly it looks to me like mostly everyone here is intelligent and in agreement, which is of course to be expected when you get a bunch of women together with years of experience under their belts, no?:drinker: Cheers ladies, keep doing what you're doing which is killing it at the gyms and in this group!

:laugh: :laugh: No not the dog, he's too light. I initially did dumbell lifts up to 20kg (45 lbs) and five weeks ago I moved on to do Stronglifts 5 x 5 with a barbell and weights. I am currently squatting 40kg (90 lbs), bench pressing 22kg (50 lbs) and Deadlifting 50.5kg(111lbs).

That said, I agree that everybody has to exercise in a way that fits their abilities and that they enjoy to get success from it. I just don't agree with any person being excluded purely down to age. As for injuries, I have seen a fair few joggers and cyclists take a tumble. So long as lifts are learn't properly and done in a safe environment with the right equipment they are no more dangerous than any other sport.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with lifting at all at any age BUT it's not the endgame for everyone. If you don't lift, it doesn't mean you're less likely to succeed or be healthy than someone who does. It's this that irritates me..the belief that lifting is the only way and eating more to do so. Not everyone wants to/has to.
  • mklassy123
    Options
    Somebody needs to tell the men under 40 that.

Add women under 30 to that equation as well (to tell them that is) :laugh: The ones who say to cut out eating bread for a week and you'll lose 10 pounds (exaggeration here). I get what you're saying.