Place to eat

Options
2»

Replies

• Coolhand1969
    Coolhand1969 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    ok, I'm going to list my three favorite locally owned places to eat that I've found in central Indiana... None are really healthy at all, but they deserve some recognition, and I'm never going to give them up - I just do the best I can when I go there. Just save them for special rewards... :)

BBQ - Bird's smokehouse in Daleville, IN - best ribs consistently ever.... mmm.... http://www.birdssmokehousebbq.com/

Ice Cream - Ivanhoe's in Upland, IN - absolute best Sundae's anywhere (and Strawberry Shortcake if you are into that...
    http://www.ivanhoes.info/

Hip/delicious - Bonge's Tavern - Perkinsville, IN - a bit pricier, but not horrible, and chef made food in the middle of nowhere - summer weekends tailgaiting prior to dining is almost required.. famous for Perkinsville Pork, Harger Duck among others.. Colts have dined here including Manning and Clark (we dined beside Dallas there once)... http://www.bongestavern.com
  • Calli70
    Options
    I agree! When Eddie Met Salad is my choice! There is one on 96th Street and one in Carmel that I know of! They also have wraps as well, but the salads are delightful!
    :smooched:
  • naggie13
    naggie13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Any ideas for helping a busy busy busy mother to feel fuller without exceeding calorie goal ?
  • yayasma
    yayasma Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've heard about Bonge's Tavern from a few coworkers and have yet to make it there. I have to set this as a goal to visit in 2013 being that it has come up again.

Naggie13 - try some green shakes. Since you make them with veggies and fruits its very lo-cal. The fiber content will help you feel fuller longer. You can also try protein shakes. There are some that are low in sugar or no sugar at all.

If you haven't made a green shake before it's a trial and error process. I finally figured out a recipe to my liking. There are tons online but I didn't care for all of the ingredients. I keep mine very basic - about 2 cups raw spinach, 1/3 c Almond milk, 2 or 3 small strawberries and 1/2 a banana. I have used frozen blue berries when I ran out of bananas. I change the fruit combo depending on what I have - I have used pineapple, mango, and raspberries. Also, I hate spinach. I can't eat it cooked or raw but I can drink it in a shake! :happy:
  • mamajane61
    mamajane61 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    We went to Mongolian BBQ last night for the first time and we loved it!! Lots of choices and on their website you can get the nutritional values. We will definitely go back.
  • Cherese1983
    Cherese1983 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    http://wheneddiemetsalad.com/

When Eddie Met Salad is a salad place close to IUPUI campus, there are a few other locations around the north side of Indy.

I ate at Souplantation in San Diego and it was better than When Eddie Met Salad but this is a good option for Indy. Would love to know of more...

Love this place!!!
  • dbannister61
    Options
    I really dont like having to limit myself to salads. They can be pretty high in calories depending on what you put on it. Add dressing and its even worse.

I've been enjoying Cracker Barrell. Most of their food items are in the database so its very easy to calculate calories. Being diabetic, I have to watch carbs too so its nice having all the information handy.

I've enjoyed the meatloaf platter with green beans, carrots and coleslaw a couple of times at just 472 calories (sometimes I even get a biscuit). That may be a high calorie meal for some of you but I tend to eat light during the day allowing me to have a more substantial evening meal. That prevents my liver from dumping sugar into my system over night and waking with a high blood glucose reading. It also stops me from snacking which was one of my biggest problems.
  • charman99
    charman99 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Ivenhoe's is the best!!!! Our friends live out that way so we go there often... and the price is just right as well!!
  • shelleyfey
    shelleyfey Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Will check out When Eddie met Salad next time I'm in Indy. Thanks!
  • shelleyfey
    shelleyfey Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Any ideas for helping a busy busy busy mother to feel fuller without exceeding calorie goal ?

Maybe not as important as WHAT you eat, but HOW you eat: try eating your vegetables first, then your protein. Also, exchange a little protein for carbs at mid-day (I sometimes skip carb for lunch and have a small banana with a TBSP natural peanut butter for my afternoon snack, keeps the hungries away). Protein (chicken, turkey, fish, beef) takes longer for you to digest, therefore keeps you fuller longer, just be sure it is the last thing you eat (eating protein first is hard on the digestion).
  • jonward85
    jonward85 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Not particularly healthy, but i like the following:

Yatz
    Sams Gyros
    The Journey (So very not healthy, but ooo soo good)
    Moe's Southwestern Grill

I also love the new applebee's and chilli's new menu items that are low cal.