Newby

Options
Hello fellow MFPers! I just joined the group and have been reading through a lot of good threads.

My story: not much of a story here. I used to be extremely active and used to be an avid cyclist. I just kind of got away from all of that as the years of working and raising kids went by. I really want to get back to a really active state because 1). I've always felt better, mentally and physically, when I am active and 2). I am turning 40 this year so I know that things are going to slow down fast!

I also want to get back into cycling because it used to be such a big part of my life. My last real ride was three years ago when I rode the Katy Trail - a railroad bike trail across the state of Missouri. My dad and I rode from Clinton to St. Charles which is right at 225 miles. I just joined Brownsburg Fitness so I can get some good cardio and strength training in before the warm weather kicks in and I can start riding again. My dad and I had plans to do some riding this summer but he passed away this past January so I'd like to continue with our plans and ride. It might be a bit of a stretch for this summer but by next summer at the latest, my goal is to ride across 40 from Terre Haute to Richmond.

I work part time and am a full time student at WGU, working towards my degree in Math Education. I have two teenage girls - one looking forward to graduating high school in May and heading to college this fall and the other who is just as motivated to get through her sophomore year of high school and start the Cosmetology program at Ben Davis next year.

I will visit the group often. Sometimes I have to seek out motivation because honestly, I'm tired!

Replies

• Coolhand1969
    Coolhand1969 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    that's quite a story for "not much of a story"!! very touching about your Dad, I'm sorry to hear of his passing, but think it's great you are going to carry on the tradition in his memory. Warm weather can't get here soon enough for me either..
  • rjneeley
    rjneeley Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Great story! Welcome to the group! I have been to Pittsboro before; lived in Hendricks county for awhile. I love the sound if your ride across IN along US-40; I actually lived on 40 for a couple of years in Putnam county so I'm very familiar with the west part of that route.

I too relate to needing to get back to fitness. I hiked often for years but the weight has crept up again making that difficult. With my kids all old enough to go with on hikes, though, I hope to get out a lot more.

I'm here a lot too - maybe we should start a chat thread for those needing more motivation!

Again, welcome!

Rachel
  • rmitscher
    rmitscher Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    What part of Indiana are you in now? I love to hike! Sometimes I go to Brown County but I usually end up at Shades because I know the park so well that I can hike my own path and know where I am at all times - or at least get to a spot that I recognize. I really like Turkey Run too.
  • lindzann88
    lindzann88 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful story! Welcome to the group!
  • rjneeley
    rjneeley Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I am in Columbus. 20 minutes from brown county in fact! I love that park but we go all over the state. We will have to meet up sometime :)
  • hollydetra
    hollydetra Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Welcome! So glad you're here. Feel free to add me, I'll motivate and support in any way I can!