Newbie here!

Options
I have just started the stronglifts program. I am 4'11, 138lbs, and 30 years old. I calculated my TDEE and subtracted 20% which gives me 1500 cals. Also my macros are 40p 40c 20f, is this a good break down? I am wondering if will still lose weight doing the program and if it is good to be in a deficient while doing it? Any advice is appreciated.

Replies

• CloverCreeper
    CloverCreeper Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    You may not need to make such a big cut, 15% or 10% may be okay depending on your goal weight.
    You'll definitely still lose weight due to the calorie deficit, Stronglifts will help you maintain your lean body mass
    so that most of that loss is fat. (:
  • IamOnMywayNow
    IamOnMywayNow Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is 110-115.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group! I agree that TDEE-15% might not be a bad place for you to start since you don't have much to lose (even though I'm sure it feels like a ton of weight to you). If you want to try TDEE-20%, I'd calculate that and 15% and if you're hungry know you can go up to TDEE-15% and still have a good deficit for the day. Lifting three times a week really increased my hunger. (Strangely I'm also warmer now too, not sure what's up with that.)
  • IamOnMywayNow
    Options
    Thank for the info! Also my goal is 150 grams of protein.......I am finding it really hard to get that amount in. How do you ladies get your protein?
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I know it's "bad" but I have a daily protein shake. Optimum Nutrition in double chocolate. I mix in half a banana, and blend with milk.

I'm laaaazy...I definitely could make more meat at meals but a shake is so darned easy, and good
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Thank for the info! Also my goal is 150 grams of protein.......I am finding it really hard to get that amount in. How do you ladies get your protein?

You don't need that much protein. You need a bare minimum of 86 grams. Somewhere between 86 and 110 should be good. You may find it beneficial to go as high as 134 but I wouldn't stress over getting that high.

Does that help?
  • tameko2
    Options

You don't need that much protein. You need a bare minimum of 86 grams. Somewhere between 86 and 110 should be good. You may find it beneficial to go as high as 134 but I wouldn't stress over getting that high.

Does that help?

Also, for everyone else's info, the 'bare minimum' number I quote is based on research that shows eating 1.4-1.8 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight reduces the amount of muscle lost while dieting. Very active people might need more - but they tend to naturally get it because their caloric needs are also increased.
  • IamOnMywayNow
    Options

Does that help?

Oh my yes that helps! I was about to go nuts trying to eat that much protein. I like chicken but not that much lol:) Big help!
  • tameko2
    Options

Does that help?

Oh my yes that helps! I was about to go nuts trying to eat that much protein. I like chicken but not that much lol:) Big help!

Good then, you can make up the rest in anything you like eating, carbs or fat. Actually you've got your fat set pretty low in your diary, so I'd probably lean towards that.
  • IamOnMywayNow
    Options
    I have it broken down to 40%c, 40%p, and 20%f. What would be a better macro set up?
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    Even if you do a 40%c, 30/30% p/f you'll still hit your protein. Some people (not me, but I think this is my next step) really focus on hitting their protein grams and then let the rest of the macros fall where they may.
  • tameko2
    Options
    Even if you do a 40%c, 30/30% p/f you'll still hit your protein. Some people (not me, but I think this is my next step) really focus on hitting their protein grams and then let the rest of the macros fall where they may.

^^

Percentages are actually a terrible way to set up a diet, because protein and fat needs are based on someone's size, not how many calories they eat - an active person will eat a LOT more calories than an inactive person, but they won't need to proportionally increase their protein.

Look at it this way - on a 1500 calorie diet, 90 grams of protein is roughly 25% of the diet. But on a 2000 calorie diet its 18%. Same number of grams though and it's your bare minimum either way.

And that's also why the percentage thing in MFP is annoying, because if you do their way of using exercise calories you end up being told you need to eat more of everything, when in fact as long as you'e got your minimum protein set up you can eat more of anything you want, it doesn't need to be in even proportions.

I don't eat exercise cals so I just set up my MFP so my protein number is what I want to shoot for (I use the higher end of my range, but I mentally know that as long as I hit 100 I did fine). If you do the exercise cals method, you can decide where you want to set it so that it works for you, mentally.