Switching to morning workouts... food for thought?

Options
kit_katty
kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
I'm hoping to switch to morning workouts, first thing and then head to work. I've never done this before except for running.

So yesterday I had a tea and a yogurt then headed to the gym. My Squats and OHP were fine but my deadlift was a massive fail. What was interesting is that I had to drop back down to last week's weight and it was a struggle, where last week it was fine for the first few reps and only then the issue was my grip, not the weight.

I'm wondering if it's because I'm usually working out after work, after having been eating during the day rather than after having been sleeping with little food.

Any thoughts on this? Any pearls of wisdom?

Replies

• Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I workout fasted every morning and have no problems with it....but that's what works for me! (Plus I always have something to eat before bed and it's usually something with 18+ grams of protein)

Could you maybe have a protein shake or something shortly before your workout....something more substantial than a yogurt? You might find that will help :smile:
  • CloverCreeper
    CloverCreeper Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I workout first thing after I wake up, before I eat with no problems.
    I'm a beginner though, so I'm not sure if it will change when I start lifting heavier.
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Whn I workout in the morning after a good night's sleep, I usually have a protein drink about 30 minutes before getting to the gym, otherwise no issues for me....

now that Im working nights, I notice my workouts have sucked when I go first thing in the morning ( right after work and no sleep) no matter if I eat/drink before
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I workout in the morning also, and only have a glass of milk first. I tried an afternoon workout, and it was horrible. It may just be that you need to give yourself time to adjust to working out at a different time. And maybe a little more food would help?
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies! I'm so used to the evening workouts, I may try a protein shake before hand and see how it goes.